Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with the new "Star Trek" movie SPOILER WARNING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Problem with the new "Star Trek" movie SPOILER WARNING

Maybe they will eventually restore the time line in the trilogy they will undoubtedly make.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It was good and entertaining and all but a lot of things didn't make sense. I enjoyed it for what it is. It is not Star Trek.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wait. So you're telling me that a science fiction movie was inconsistent in its treatment of time travel? Holy cow!
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Spock traveled back in time, Spock prime remembered the original time line. So the original timeline existed. The moment Nero came back in time and encountered the USS Kelvin, the original timeline ceased to exist.

Star Trek is canon. So say the creators. They have reset the timeline for themselves in order to open up a new, unrestricted playground for new movies and series'.

YMMV
    99% ~ Microsoft Free!
    I don't care how it's done in Windows!
    http://www.corelogik.com

Beans
    Hidden!

The movie has the most unbelievable plot line in the world (nobody predicts a supernova is about to happen, the planet is not evacuated just in case the plan doesn't work, a ludicrous villan with a highly unlikely motivation, ludicrously impractical Romulan spaceship, etc. etc.). The temporal inconsistencies are minor issues in comparison.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Being old enough to have seen Star Trek since the beginning, the movie I think the movie has provided what it was meant to do, entertain and make money!!!
    ken_do_san
    RLU #478375|Ubuntu User #27655

Beans

It's a piece of fiction, not a documentary.

Beans
    Hidden!

the Vulcan Science Directorate has concluded that time travel is impossible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Actually what we are learning about space/time this entire debate is beginning to look really moot.
    Time/space appears to be not static nor linear. its really a cloud of probability in both directions. For instance you could go back in time 100 years and find a more advanced civilization than the one you left! Why? well space/time is really damn odd as it really doesn't behave like we think it really does. in fact our view of the universe is skewed. If you take time look up holographic universe and read the the research papers behind the articles. basicly our space/time is a projection off of a 7+ dimensional object in which we perceive as 4 logical dimensions! So traveling in time wether forward/backward or sideways(parallel) or any combination thereof you will only arrive in a probablistical reality (which has the bad side effect of being YOUR new reality) Which means you would have a hard time finding your 'Old' timeline ever. (infinity-1 :1 odds)
    Last edited by Redlance; May 25th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.

Beans

I thought it was written to appeal to teenage movie-goers.

The plot-line was thin and story poor...invented devices to "introduce" teens to the new "Kirk and crew". What's next, "The Real World: Star Fleet Academy"? Uniforms by Aeropostale?

The effects were quite nice. The fight scene on the drill was very good.

In contrast, I thought "Nemesis" was well written and engrossing.

The thing that set the original 'Star Trek' apart was good story telling. Some great sci-fi authors wrote some Star Trek episodes.
    ( http://www.rimworlds.com/thecrotchetyoldfan/?p=4256 )

For some reason, storytelling became a lost art as the 'Star Trek' spiralled down through DS9, Voyager, and the abysmal Enterprise. Each episode had become fashioned like "soap operas"...a literal continuation of the previous episode. The original series could tell a complete story in one hour. The intro splash is all you needed to get the back story.

I'm old school. I don't like soaps. I hate having to "follow" a series to have any clue about what's going on in an episode. Shows like "Lost" do exactly that...they lose me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast