Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaunty Jackalope the fastest Ubuntu yet?

Beans

Jaunty Jackalope the fastest Ubuntu yet?

Finally got Jaunty installed, the Desktop CD worked fine in Live mode but failed to install. Downloaded the alternate install cd for 32bit x86 and now have a working installation.

Boot speed is quite impressive. Installed bootchart and... its 21 seconds !!

I havent even yet removed startup and desktop services that I dont need.

System is Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (single core)
    1G RAM
    Nvidia 7600GT card

This is the fastest Ubuntu yet for me, what boot speed is everyone else seeing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Jaunty Jackalope the fastest Ubuntu yet?

If you are just asking about boot time, then yes.

If you are talking about data transfer, then yes. But this would be a consequence of ext4.

If you are talking also about overall performance, then no. I still have issues with it. I prefer to have 5 minutes boot time and a better overall performance.

BTW, my boot time is 24 seconds. I have a P4 3.06 Ghz HT, 2Gb DDR2 RAM and nVidia 7300 GT.

Beans

I vote Ubuntu 7.04, but Jaunty Jackalope is very fast and its something that I hope stays around even though I have my doubts. I am happy with it for now but once Ubuntu starts slowing down again I'll be done with it; there are too many other, faster Linux distros than Ubuntu. I was planing on going with Mint Linux for good but when I tested Ubuntu 9.04 I was impressed, if I do abandon Ubuntu as an OS, I'll probably still be a (small) part of the forums.
    Desktop 1: Asus A8N-E | AMD Athlon +3200 | 2 GB Ram | Geforce 8500 | Windows XP
    Desktop 2: Soyo-KT600 | AMD Athlon +2600 | 768 MB Ram | Geforce 5200 | Ubuntu 10.04
    Netbook: Asus 1001P, Arch Linux

Beans

-Intel users should not be too happy.
    -Boot time is better.
    -ext4 is snappier for file operations
    -overall Gtk responsiveness seems a bit faster
    -kernel 2.6.28 is slow for I/O and sqlite operations (think of Firefox), both of which are solved in the 2.6.29/30 kernel which has (will have) a better CFQ I/O scheduler:
    http://www.h-online.com/open/Kernel-...--/news/113302

For nvidia users like me, the best thing happened: almost no nvidia bugs so far, including Java related and even VDPAU support, that's what makes Jaunty even greater (for me)!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I always like to think that the best Ubuntu is yet to come - improvements are always being made on all fronts, improving the stack as a whole
    Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    If you are talking also about overall performance, then no. I still have issues with it. I prefer to have 5 minutes boot time and a better overall performance.
    Define "overall performance."
    Last edited by ghindo; May 25th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

recurring ->

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    I always like to think that the best Ubuntu is yet to come - improvements are always being made on all fronts, improving the stack as a whole Define "overall performance."
    Do I need?

Like for example too much CPU being used for regular tasks, flash stuttering like hell, windows operations delay, applications responsiveness. That kind of stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Do I need?

Like for example too much CPU being used for regular tasks, flash stuttering like hell, windows operations delay, applications responsiveness. That kind of stuff.
    I haven't experienced any of those issues. The only regression in performance I have experienced with 9.04 has been the Intel chipset business. And even if I had experienced those issues, I hardly think that Canonical has any control over Flash performance.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    -Intel users should not be too happy.
    I have an x3100 (GM965), and video was noticeably slower than previous releases, but the latest kernel (2.6.30rc7) from the ubuntu kernel ppa is blazingly fast!

With the latest PPA kernel, 9.04 is the fastest on all fronts for me.

Now if only I could decrease the login speed, and get to a full gnome desktop in 30s

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    I have an x3100 (GM965), and video was noticeably slower than previous releases, but the latest kernel (2.6.30rc7) from the ubuntu kernel ppa is blazingly fast!

With the latest PPA kernel, 9.04 is the fastest on all fronts for me.

Now if only I could decrease the login speed, and get to a full gnome desktop in 30s
    This kernel from the PPA is official? Would it be incorporated into Jaunty in the future? If I use it, can I roll back to the regular official kernel if something goes wrong? What's the address of this PPA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast