Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    The panel-menu size is set to 24 - the same as the original Ubuntulooks Human and Human Murine themes. I'm not changing that, otherwise the Human icons will get scaled (and will therefore look blurry).

Are you on a netbook? I'm not aware if the netbook flavour of Ubuntu uses a modified theme, but I'd be interested to see what it's like - perhaps I can make a netbook version of the theme for devices will smaller resolutions.
    I didn't suggest to set icon size smaller, I just stated that they consume space excessively. At least on 1280x800 resolution. Issue get's worse when running even lower resolution.

Not everyone has FullHD displays...

theme should be somewhat scalable, but that's hard on current available techniques.

This isn't netbook, but I have one, which runned 9.04 alphas Gnome.
    and default theme was unbearable. Not an UNR
    Specially when menus get cluttered with entries, they need to scrolled down/up.
    I won't answer to difficult guestions.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by taavikko View Post
    I didn't suggest to set icon size smaller, I just stated that they consume space excessively. At least on 1280x800 resolution. Issue get's worse when running even lower resolution.

Not everyone has FullHD displays...

theme should be somewhat scalable, but that's hard on current available techniques.

This isn't netbook, but I have one, which runned 9.04 alphas Gnome.
    and default theme was unbearable. Not an UNR
    Specially when menus get cluttered with entries, they need to scrolled down/up.
    I'm running on a 1024x768 resolution, so I know what you mean. In my opinion, it's an issue with GTK itself, as no theme engines seem capable of producing a compact theme. Humanity is about as compact as possible right now (without sacrificing usability).

If you want smaller icons, edit ~/.themes/Humanity/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, and change this line:

Code:
    gtk-icon-sizes = "panel-menu=24,24"
    To this:

Code:
    gtk-icon-sizes="gtk-large-toolbar=16,16:panel-menu=16,16:panel=16,16:gtk-button=16,16:gtk-dialog=16,16:gtk-menu=16,16"

Beans
    Distro

Psyke, your use of a non-zero GtkRange::trough-border is breaking Firefox rendering.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=471789

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post
    Psyke, your use of a non-zero GtkRange::trough-border is breaking Firefox rendering.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=471789
    Yes, I noticed that but didn't know the bug reference. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

psyke83,

Minor hacks to the theme. I'm convinced a decent scrollbar can't be drawn within the murrine engine itself without being slow. Pixmap allows for better creativity and design. Let me know what you think?

Scrolling is also much faster using the pixmap engine. I may have to make the scrollbars a bit lighter due to my dark glassy screen. I'll test it on a few other computers.

Very preliminary modification. I am digging this theme a lot, so I will continue to hack on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dell XPS m1530 / nVidia 8400 GS / Broadcom 4328 Wireless / 10.10 (64 bit) / 2.6.35.22-generic /
    HP DV6-2170US / Intel HD Graphics / i5 Core Processor / Broadcom Wireless 43225 / 11.04 (64 bit) / 2.6.37-11-generic

Beans

^^ Hey that looks awesome can you tell me what icons you're using aswell please

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vaun View Post
    psyke83,

Minor hacks to the theme. I'm convinced a decent scrollbar can't be drawn within the murrine engine itself without being slow. Pixmap allows for better creativity and design. Let me know what you think?

Scrolling is also much faster using the pixmap engine. I may have to make the scrollbars a bit lighter due to my dark glassy screen. I'll test it on a few other computers.

Very preliminary modification. I am digging this theme a lot, so I will continue to hack on it.
    Thanks for the hack. Your pixmap scrollbar doesn't seem to match the colour of the @selected_bg_color, so things look a little inconsistent. If you're trying to match the metacity colour, I wouldn't recommend it - the last e-mail I received from Kenneth Wimer indicated that the Human metacity was going to be dropped (though I don't know if that's the plan for Karmic or beyond). Otherwise it's nice.

Having said that, I won't be using pixmaps in this theme, as it is intended as an official update to Human (and the scrollbars may be reverted if Kenneth doesn't like them). You mentioned performance - what's wrong with murrine's scrollbar rendering speed? The pixmap engine is slower and uses more memory.
    Last edited by psyke83; June 24th, 2009 at 02:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Scrolling is slower. The difference is almost negligible, but enough for more me to notice. That is good news about the Human metacity as it is not very attractive. Any help you need please let me know or or if you're going to push into a branch in Launchpad for bug testing, modifications, and such.
    Dell XPS m1530 / nVidia 8400 GS / Broadcom 4328 Wireless / 10.10 (64 bit) / 2.6.35.22-generic /
    HP DV6-2170US / Intel HD Graphics / i5 Core Processor / Broadcom Wireless 43225 / 11.04 (64 bit) / 2.6.37-11-generic

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vaun View Post
    Scrolling is slower. The difference is almost negligible, but enough for more me to notice. That is good news about the Human metacity as it is not very attractive. Any help you need please let me know or or if you're going to push into a branch in Launchpad for bug testing, modifications, and such.
    I'm not working directly in any of the bzr branches, but I've sent the updates to Ken. The official Human theme will be updated soon (it will be identical to v0.8 of this theme, and Human-Clearlooks will also have minor fixes to remove the old colour mixing hacks in the code).

I've been assured by Alexander Sack that the scrollbar bug in Firefox will be escalated (and hopefully fixed before release).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    I really like your changes to the human theme. I even started using your theme and I've never before used the human theme - I always switched to another after few days of trying to using it.
    But there're still two things, that should be better from my point of view.

• I find UNR theme scroll bar little bit more appealing ( but I also like yours )
    • I just can't get used to the brown window border - it's better than in original theme, but for me it's still not there yet. The icons, the gtk controls everything is now more orange than brown, just the window border is ugly brown.

I'm sorry I wish I can give you more productive feedback, but I really suck at design

EDIT: I've almost forgotten, some gnome panel theme/background would be awesome...
    Last edited by dixon; June 24th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast