Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 217

Thread: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Beans
    2,605
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    Thanks a lot.

    I think I prefer the first one for now though. MS is on to something there, very glassy.
    I prefer it too, but I don't get to make the decisions .

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    I REALLY like the humanity-testing metacity. It's borders are a bit thick, but I can brush that off to personal preference.

    However, there seem to be two things that are somewhat buggy:

    1. Notice how the side borders suddenly go from a light tone to a much darker color. This doesn't seem to happen in your screenshot preview.

    2. This is more of a general Human-metacity issue, as it has been present forever. Buttons should have a minimum size set up. Otherwise, changing the font size to 8 or other smaller sizes makes the buttons rather small and look cramped in there.

    I am testing this in Ubuntu Jaunty, for reference. I've also attached a screenshot to demonstrate these minor issues.

    Other than that, good job! Human looks more beautiful than ever.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Beans
    2,605
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectska04 View Post
    I REALLY like the humanity-testing metacity. It's borders are a bit thick, but I can brush that off to personal preference.

    However, there seem to be two things that are somewhat buggy:

    1. Notice how the side borders suddenly go from a light tone to a much darker color. This doesn't seem to happen in your screenshot preview.
    That was intentional (similar to Windows Aero, as some pointed out), but changed to a smooth gradient in -testing2. I think you installed the older version.

    2. This is more of a general Human-metacity issue, as it has been present forever. Buttons should have a minimum size set up. Otherwise, changing the font size to 8 or other smaller sizes makes the buttons rather small and look cramped in there.
    I think this is because the button details are actually .png files (which aren't scaled). As for setting a minimum size, do you know any Metacity themes which enforce a minimum size? The code in the theme to enforce the minimum size doesn't appear to work correctly.
    Last edited by psyke83; September 28th, 2009 at 09:55 PM.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    That was intentional (similar to Windows Aero, as some pointed out), but changed to a smooth gradient in -testing2. I think you installed the older version.



    I'll take a look at this issue.
    I might have downloaded the wrong version, I'll try getting the latest file.

    Also, thanks for taking a look at #2.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    I think this is because the button details are actually .png files (which aren't scaled). As for setting a minimum size, do you know any Metacity themes which enforce a minimum size? The code in the theme to enforce the minimum size doesn't appear to work correctly.
    On Shiki, I use code to enforce a minimum size and it works rather well. However, I just tried to apply it to human-testing but the line in-between the menubar and metacity seems to disappear.

    I'll try some other values and I'll let you know if I can manage get around it.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Beans
    2,605
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectska04 View Post
    I might have downloaded the wrong version, I'll try getting the latest file.

    Also, thanks for taking a look at #2.
    No problem, but I wasn't being flippant. If you know any Metacity themes which work at a small font size, I want to see them in order to plagiarize the appropriate code .

    This is the relevant part of the Human Metacity:
    Code:
    <!-- button minimum size -->
    <constant name="Bmin" value="7"/>
    <!-- button inside padding -->
    <constant name="Bpad" value="8"/>
    Changing these values seems to have no effect, at least on my system.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Beans
    2,605
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectska04 View Post
    On Shiki, I use code to enforce a minimum size and it works rather well. However, I just tried to apply it to human-testing but the line in-between the menubar and metacity seems to disappear.

    I'll try some other values and I'll let you know if I can manage get around it.
    Thanks, if you can get it working I'll be sure to make sure it's included.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Thanks, if you can get it working I'll be sure to make sure it's included.
    The following seems to work as far as the buttons go, they're always centered and look at their intended size regardless of font size. However, as I mentioned earlier - the top line between menu/metacity is missing. This can probably be fixed by editing the placement of this line elsewhere in the metacity. After that, perhaps shifting the title a pixel or two to ensure it's centered in height with respect to buttons would fix the issue.

    Also, another suggestion might be to shift the "circle" menu icon a bit to the left and more centered, as to keep it the same distance from the border and relative in height to the window management buttons in the right and the title.

    Code:
    <frame_geometry name="normal" rounded_top_left="true" rounded_top_right="true" rounded_bottom_left="false" rounded_bottom_right="false">
      <distance name="left_width" value="6"/>
      <distance name="right_width" value="6"/>
      <distance name="bottom_height" value="6"/>
      <distance name="left_titlebar_edge" value="4"/>
      <distance name="right_titlebar_edge" value="4"/>
      <distance name="button_width" value="24"/>
      <distance name="button_height" value="24"/>
      <distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="3"/>
      <border name="title_border" left="2" right="2" top="2" bottom="2"/>
      <border name="button_border" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0"/>
    </frame_geometry>

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Beans
    2,605
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectska04 View Post
    The following seems to work as far as the buttons go, they're always centered and look at their intended size regardless of font size. However, as I mentioned earlier - the top line between menu/metacity is missing. This can probably be fixed by editing the placement of this line elsewhere in the metacity. After that, perhaps shifting the title a pixel or two to ensure it's centered in height with respect to buttons would fix the issue.
    Thanks for looking into it. The relevant parts were:
    Code:
      <distance name="button_width" value="24"/>
      <distance name="button_height" value="24"/>
    This works for lower text sizes, but when you use large text, the icons remain statically sized. This is not ideal. With this in mind I don't think it's appropriate to include this code, sorry.

    Ken has taken over and will now make some final tweaks (the background and scrollbar colours). Because of the beta freeze, more changes aren't possible as they need to ship something stable.

    For the future, we should check into this issue further and see if we can properly assign dynamic limits (upper and lower), rather than statically limiting button sizes.

    Also, another suggestion might be to shift the "circle" menu icon a bit to the left and more centered, as to keep it the same distance from the border and relative in height to the window management buttons in the right and the title.
    Ken worked on the circle, and I believe this is the effect he desired. If you actually click on the circle, you can see the checkmarks on the context menu roughly align, so it's probably ok.
    Last edited by psyke83; September 28th, 2009 at 10:45 PM.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    259

    Re: Unofficial Human theme update: "Humanity"

    This metacity is nice, but i'm gettin' tired from old Human caption buttons. Maybe you could give them some facelifting Attaching mockups for inspiration...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 6205; September 29th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •