Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ive done it ive gone to freebsd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ive done it ive gone to freebsd

Quote Originally Posted by EnGorDiaz View Post
    ive done it guys i have graduated from linux to pure unix i just thought about it only a year or two ago i didnt know what bash or tch were then i discovered this community and a distribution called ubuntu i started with little commands like sudo apt-get install flash and moved on from there i am now using virtual systems exploring the depths of where this could go i have also set up an ipcop box in my home and looking at starting my own webserver i am proud to say that this community has made me better and stronger with my computer knowledge to push ahead to point like this thank you very much guys
    Parse error
    Buffer overflow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I guess the next step is learning punctuation - aim high!

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    Parse error
    Buffer overflow
    I concur.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime Porte View Post
    Don't forget even Microsoft's POSIX compatibility layer (Interix, ie. Services For Unix) has certification, so if we go by certification, then Windows is more Unix than Linux.

I tell you this much though, if I were compiling a C program written to comply with POSIX systems, then I'd much prefer to be doing it on Linux than on either OSX or "Interix", no matter how many certificates they've bought.
    Even though OS X is 100% Posix compliant and 100% UNIX? I guess a better question would be why you would prefer linux in this scenario. I would guess it has nothing to do with actually compiling the program. Really though it's as much a UNIX as Solaris. I just love how that really sticks in some people's craw.
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

Apple is certified as UNIX; it is technologically UNIX as decided by the standards that define what "UNIX" actually means. This not an opinion, but a irrefutable fact. The people going "hahaha" are really just making idiots of themselves.

As for my thoughts, I link to this classic.

http://www.netbsd.org/about/call-it-a-duck.html

Beans
    Hidden!

The next step is suicide?

Beans

ok now i feel embarassed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am just an old retired IT guy who worked with Unix and all that AIX stuff and when I retired and move to Linux it was a breath of fresh air. Pure Unix is at the lower form. To become a Unix user one needs to go back in time not forward. I also spent years in TOS and DOS but that doesn't mean it was better, it was just a means I used as a stepping stone to better things. I love my Linux and Ubuntu has been doing a great job in making it even better.
    If you want to learn Unix you might find a job in a place where they have not move with the technology. But it has some good things to be learn.
    Good luck in what ever you do.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Even though OS X is 100% Posix compliant and 100% UNIX?
    Posix compliance is a purchased certificate. If Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD etc. could afford them (and wanted them) they would certainly have them. They are much more like the rest of the Unices than OSX is. It is not 100% Unix, because it's entire graphical layer is a coimpletely different system, that's not adopted by, nor used by any other Unix. You could argue that Darwin is 100% Unix... perhaps.

I guess a better question would be why you would prefer linux in this scenario. I would guess it has nothing to do with actually compiling the program.
    My point was that Linux behaves much more Unix-like than OSX, it's got nothing to do with preferences.

Really though it's as much a UNIX as Solaris. I just love how that really sticks in some people's craw.
    Have you ever used Solaris? If you had, I very much doubt you'd be making such statements. I don't think it sticks in people's 'craw', I think people who have used various unices know that OSX would be the odd man out, not Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am just an old retired IT guy who worked with Unix and all that AIX stuff and when I retired and move to Linux it was a breath of fresh air. Pure Unix is at the lower form.
    Good point Irv. People have this fantasy that "real unix" is going to be so much better, because it's the real thing right? The thing that Linux tried to imitate... Newsflash for those people, Linux actually did a better job of it (in most respects, not all). That's why most "real unix" today, are using so much of the GNU software, or other software designed initially for Linux. Because the open source movement ended up making better Unix components than the originals themselves.

When people open a terminal in their "Posix certified" OSX, what shell do they find greeting them? Is it the Bourne shell from the original Unix distributions? Is it the C Shell famous from the Berkley distributions? No, it is Bash, which was written by the GNU project. Same deal for Opensolaris. Sometimes imitations turn out to be better.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast