Thread: Single-channel MP3 for Monophonic Recording

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Question Single-channel MP3 for Monophonic Recording

I sometimes rip CDs the music on which was originally recorded monophonically.

If I rip these discs, using [Sound Juicer] Audio CD Extractor, these CDs are encoded with two channels.

I like to encode at 128 kBps VBR. This gives a fairly small resultant file/folder but it's not as small as I'd like.

Using iTunes on a Windows computer, there is an option to set the ripping option to Single Channel; this encodes at 64 kBps VBR which gives exactly the same audio quality as Two Channel at 128 kBps VBR.

Thus, the resultant Single Channel file/folder is approximately half the size of that encoded as Two Channel.

In the Edit option of Audio CD Extractor, I changed the "channels=2" to read "channels=1" but, when I ripped a mono disc, the size was still about double the size of the same disc ripped in iTunes.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and if there is some way to adjust the ripping in Audio CD Extractor to achieve what I want? I have an older Windows computer with the latest version of iTunes so I'm not totally stymied in ripping to Single Channel but I tell you farnkly that I hate using that Windows machine. Once you get used to Ubuntu, there's just no going back. So I would like to be able to accomplish on my Linux computer that which I can accomplish on my Windows one.

I hope there is someone here who can help me with this problem. Thanks.

(Computer is an Acer Extensa 5620-6419, Intel Core 2 Duo T5550, 3 GB DDR2, using Jaunty)

Beans

Re: Single-channel MP3 for Monophonic Recording

Haven't used soundjuicer in quite some time so don't know the extent or means to it's settings

If you want the same thing from a mono source as your getting from itunes then it's a cbr encoding at 64k, 1 channel (mono

(what your describing from itunes is not a vbr encoding, more like "good quality (128kbps)" which encodes at 128k for stereo source and 64k for mono source automatically based on the source (mono or stereo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Single-channel MP3 for Monophonic Recording

Stereo MP3 usually uses Joint Stereo mode, which is basically mono plus difference. The mono bandwidth is significantly more than half that of the stereo.

I suggest installing lame and its documentation, it's the best mp3 encoder these days