Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know there are millions of these, but everyones different!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: I know there are millions of these, but everyones different!

Quote Originally Posted by simeon87 View Post
    You could also try a functional programming language, like Haskell. This is even further away from Fortran, C and Python. Python has borrowed quite a few concepts though

Yes.
    ditto
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a question regarding Python, if I may ask. Does Ubuntu's Live CD have Python on board ? Right at this very minute I have no idea as I am on my wife's Windows XP machine (boo hiss haha). I am using a Ubuntu 9.04 LiveCD when I am using Linux, as we only have the laptop to use until I can afford a new machine, which will be fully loaded with Ubuntu of course. That is why I wanted to know about Python on the Live CD.

I have experience in Visual Basic, Javascript, Java, and some SQL, in descending order of knowledge. Is Python easier than some of those ?
    Last edited by Ubu2010; May 24th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Ubu2010, welcome to the forums.
    Python is on the LiveCD.
    I think overall Python is a very pleasant language to learn.
    The basics are very accessible -- things work as you'd probably expect.
    The documentation is fairly good and these forums have many people happy to help if you have questions.

One possible obstacle is that Python attaches significance to whitespace.
    So it helps to have an editor which allows you to shift blocks of code to the
    left and right with ease. I'm not sure which editor would be your best choice
    on the LiveCD -- probably either gedit or vim.

gedit may be more intuitive at first, but I don't think it makes left-right shifting
    very easy.

vim is less intuitive at first, but probably does make left-right shifting easy.

(I use emacs, which is not on the LiveCD).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Ubu2010 View Post
    I have a question regarding Python, if I may ask. Does Ubuntu's Live CD have Python on board ? Right at this very minute I have no idea as I am on my wife's Windows XP machine (boo hiss haha). I am using a Ubuntu 9.04 LiveCD when I am using Linux, as we only have the laptop to use until I can afford a new machine, which will be fully loaded with Ubuntu of course. That is why I wanted to know about Python on the Live CD.

I have experience in Visual Basic, Javascript, Java, and some SQL, in descending order of knowledge. Is Python easier than some of those ?
    Yes, Python comes on the live CD, it's required for a lot of the applications used in Ubuntu. You can open a terminal and enter "python" to start an interactive session. If you have experience in those languages you should be able to pick up Python quite easily, it's kind of similar to Javascript, but with a simpler syntax. I'd say it's probably easier than those languages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ash R View Post
    Hi,

Here is the sticky on why that feature was removed.

-Ash R
    Ah well sounds like they have a good reason for removing them.
    You'll all have to settle for the satisfaction of knowing you've helped me out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you, unutbu and ad_267 I am excited to dig into python ! Oh, and thanks for the welcome to the forums, unutbu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12