Thread: Support requests via PMs

Beans

Support requests via PMs

I know in the general scheme of things getting support requests via PM isn't up there with open violations of the CoC (ie the only person who sees the violation is the recipient) but is it possible to report people who ask for support via PMs?

The CoC says
    Private Messaging users for support is strongly discouraged. It is also unlikely that users will respond to these requests.
    Does strongly discouraged mean it isn't allowed or it is allowed but highly recommended that you don't do it?

I only ask because people seem to think that even when they post in the forums they can then contact people directly if their question isn't answered, which I find irritating (especially since the app in question is no longer maintained) and rude.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Support requests via PMs

I would suggest politely pointing them to that part of the CoC.

However it is possible to report PM's, I think the report button is somewhere at the top right

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Personally I usually just PM back saying I don't do support outside the forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If someone pm's me for support, if they don't have a thread going already I tell them to start one. If they do have a thread going, I post answers in the thread only.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    I would suggest politely pointing them to that part of the CoC.
    Don't you get infractions for pointing to parts of the CoC or quoting it? Under the reasoning that you are not a moderator or staff and should just report it rather.