Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: files disappear in xp using ntfs-3g

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

files disappear in xp using ntfs-3g

I have a jaunty machine with the most recent upgrades. I use ntfs-3g to mount ntfs drives created by xp-sp3.
    1. In Ubunutu, I have no problems reading and writing files/directories created on an ntfs partition by xp.
    2. In Ubuntu, if I create files/directories on an ntfs partition, I have no problems reading and writing to those files/directories.
    3. In XP, if I try to open files/directories created or edited on an ntfs partition by Ubuntu, they disappear in both XP and Ubuntu.

In attempting to fix this, I have:
    1. Checked the version of ntfs-3g. It is the latest in the repositories (although not the latest by ntfs-3g.org).
    2. Created a Polish locale with dpkg and changed the locale setting in fstab.
    3. I have changed the fstab settings to allow user to mount ntfs drives.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this fixed? I have noticed this to be an issue with my USB drive (files show up in Ubuntu, not xp), but did not see it as serious until I lost a day's work by trying to edit some docs created under Ubuntu while running xp.

TIA.

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: files disappear in xp using ntfs-3g

same problem here...

i was using ubuntu 9.04 and everything was just fine. until one day, i installed ubuntu 9.10.....

i created some new text files, folders, some documents and dwonloaded a movie over the internet on a ntfs partition (i share this partition with my windows dual boot). after restart, i booted into windows and just didnt find any of the files! then i again restarted and booted into linux and files werent there either. i tried repairing the mft, but no help.

they were some really imp documents. so if somebody could help me recover them, or atleast give a suggestion on how to avoid such issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

That's very scary and a show stopper! I hope someone has some suggestions. I was about to play with 9.1 but use a similar setup, so I'll hold-off until this is fixed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you dismount the ntfs volume cleanly? The reason I ask is that I have found by bitter past experience that sometimes there is unwritten data not flushed to my external USB drive after closing down (or rebooting) without explicitly unmounting the disk first. Trial and error led me to believe that on booting XP it then silently "cleans up" the disk and can, depending on the corruption, lose whole folders which are gone forever even after rebooting Ubuntu. If on the other hand I reboot Ubuntu without having used XP it doesn't seem to notice the data damage and everything appears to be ok - but isn't really.

But on the whole I'm very comfortable with ntfs-3g and have had no recent problems of this sort, perhaps because I've developed a habit of always dismounting ntfs volumes before shutting down... just to be on the safe side.

Incidentally ntfs-3g deliberately flags the disk as "dirty" if it has written to it, which is what triggers XP's check in the first place.

Beans

Angry Re: files disappear in xp using ntfs-3g

i have the same problem. this seems to be a major bug.

everything I did, was trying to save a document from the web in my work folder (<- all important documents in there ). the save dialog wasn't reacting quite a while, as I tried to access this folder/harddisc. so I opend it in nautilus but everything seemed fine. than suddenly the save to disc dialog worked, but as I opened the "work" folder, some subfolder were missing. the same in nautilus. i restarted (so I assumed it unmounted how it should do it) and started again in windows. ever since I'm running an recovery programm. this is not good.

joe out
    ps.: append the mandatory: "sry, for my bad english, not first language"
    Last edited by nuke01; November 13th, 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: files disappear in xp using ntfs-3g

ok, no recovery, even with stellar phoenix.

can somebody help?

i think this is a major bug of 9.10 and I'm really angry.

Beans

I am having the same problem on 9.10 with external usb drives and Windows 7 partition on the same drive, it looks like everything is there you can even read the file, reboot and everything is gone! Went into Win7 and some of the files were there some were not, mostly not...

Beans

i had this problem as well but i have some great news...
    i have a 1TB lucky i made a few partitions and the problem partition is a 50GB

so far i removed all visible files off the 50GB putting them some where else and doing both Full and Empty Tests...

Go to http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-729-...ing-lost-files look for Photorec&Testdisk (gave the link due to other programs which may work better) or go to their actual site which has the latest version (im not using, im using the one in the link above) http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Extract the zip file somewhere *You should put it in a place which has a lot of free space as its default dir to transfer files is in its own folder*

so far what i have seen both Free and Whole scans seem to be getting the files, i think its because their both physically showing on the total disk usage and not showing up in the directory. However it seems (using the version in the first link) you will get a bunch of text files however so far its doing a great job finding the files needed.

Here is the painful part tho... it will name the files F####### but will keep their extensions

which one is faster tho? umm does it really matter? but with no visible files on the partition the full one is moving slightly faster and with out the 80000 text files extra

It works under anything Dos really or up to Vista... im guessing the next release will have 7 but works in Ubuntu as well

Beans

Has anyone updated information about this problem?

I lost huge quantity of files two days ago and I would like not to have the same problem again.
    On my previous PC, everything was ok with a "shared" partition using FAT32.

My details:
    - Ubuntu 9.10 (fresh install + updates) and Windows 7
    - Logical NTFS partition (dev/sda8)
    - /etc/fstab entry:
    UUID=4034F82434F81E9A /media/data ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 0
    - Maybe noteworthy: I often use "suspend to disk"

Beans

Unhappy Re: files disappear in xp using ntfs-3g

Any news about this?

The problem happens to me as well when I write files from Ubuntu 9.10 (with the latest updates). Last time I moved a film (~700Mb) from my ext4 to the NTFS partition (not the one which has got the Windows 7 installation on), restarted, booted into Windows 7 -> file was not where I copied it. I went back into Ubuntu and I COULD see the file on the NTFS partition where I moved it and I managed to copy it back entirely on the ext4 partition (I guess I was lucky compared with others).

A few months back when I installed 9.10 and I configured NTFS access the first time, something even more weird happened: the access from Linux was fine, but when I booted back into Windows 7 I could see all the root directories as duplicate (e.g. 2x Program Files, 2x Windows etc.). Windows 7 didn't seem to be bothered, but I was, so I ran the disk check application and this issue was sorted.

Has anybody got any insight into this problem? Unfortunately I don't have access to my computer right now, but I'm quite certain that the partition is mounted in /etc/fstab like Brilnius has it:

UUID=AA34F82434F81E34 /media/data ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 0
    Maybe UTF-8 has something to do with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast