Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Equivalents for Windows Programs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Linux Equivalents for Windows Programs

I really like Ubuntu, but I'm still stuck dual-booting with Windows XP (Vista and Windows 7 RC1 suck IMHO) because some of my programs are Windows only. Are there Linux equivalents of any of the following:

iTunes: I know there's programs to play podcasts and such, but what about being able to find podcasts and/or play DRM-protected music ?

Visual Studio (Basic, C#): I found something called KDevelop which might work, but I'd also like to try any other similar IDEs. I read about something called #(Sharp)Develop, but apparently its only for Windows. I want to develop for my own use (Ubuntu, Windows Mobile)

Photoshop: I tried GIMP and its just not the same. You'd think if they could make a version for OS X, they could make one for Ubuntu.

Sim City/The Sims: I don't play the game so much as use them to design Cities and Characters.

3D Home Architect Deluxe: A program for drawing floorplans using simple elements (walls, doors, windows, etc...) that are rendered in 3D (Wire Mesh, Framing, Outlines, Materials Applied).

Family Tree Maker: A program for building family trees. The version I have for Windows is designed to work with ancestry.com.

ActiveSync: I have a Windows Mobile 6.1 Smart Phone that I need to upload/download files/contacts from. Too bad they don't make an Ubuntu Smart Phone.

Fitday: Enter food, exercise, etc...track weight, calories, macronutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc...create custom foods (recipes) using foods already in their database or create a food from scratch by entering nutritional information.

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Linux Equivalents for Windows Programs

Look here:

http://www.linuxalt.com/

The site containe a long list of Windows programs with their Linux equivalents.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cc48510 View Post
    I really like Ubuntu, but I'm still stuck dual-booting with Windows XP (Vista and Windows 7 RC1 suck IMHO) because some of my programs are Windows only. Are there Linux equivalents of any of the following:
    Photoshop: I tried GIMP and its just not the same. You'd think if they could make a version for OS X, they could make one for Ubuntu.
    You should try GIMP again. If possible, borrow or purchase a 'how-to' book on the GIMP. It will walk you through the basics and on to the more advanced functions of the program, and you will likely not find yourself wanting for features unique to Photoshop. Those features (unique to PS) are becoming far fewer and address tasks most of us rarely need or use.

Dual booting is not a bad thing. I love GIMP, and find it simpler and faster than PS, but, I still dual boot, and, when in XP, I have a choice of PS or GIMP (as GIMP runs just fine in XP).

I cannot comment on the other applications you mention, but can state that, in my experience, there remain some applications that I need which only run in Windows, and, until that situations changes, I will continue to dual boot.

Ubuntu is a great OS, much more streamlined than XP in my experience. Far more streamlined than Vista. But the fact remains that Windows is predominant in the market place, and many hardware/software vendors find it more expedient to limit their development dollars to MS, and, so, they provide software/drivers for that OS only. This fact of life disappoints me, but it is, nevertheless, a fact of life.

I suggest you continue to dual boot and take advantage of useful Windows software that you own until such time as you discover replacements.

Good luck.

Caruso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by carusoswi View Post
    You should try GIMP again. If possible, borrow or purchase a 'how-to' book on the GIMP. It will walk you through the basics and on to the more advanced functions of the program, and you will likely not find yourself wanting for features unique to Photoshop. Those features (unique to PS) are becoming far fewer and address tasks most of us rarely need or use.

Dual booting is not a bad thing. I love GIMP, and find it simpler and faster than PS, but, I still dual boot, and, when in XP, I have a choice of PS or GIMP (as GIMP runs just fine in XP).

I cannot comment on the other applications you mention, but can state that, in my experience, there remain some applications that I need which only run in Windows, and, until that situations changes, I will continue to dual boot.

Ubuntu is a great OS, much more streamlined than XP in my experience. Far more streamlined than Vista. But the fact remains that Windows is predominant in the market place, and many hardware/software vendors find it more expedient to limit their development dollars to MS, and, so, they provide software/drivers for that OS only. This fact of life disappoints me, but it is, nevertheless, a fact of life.

I suggest you continue to dual boot and take advantage of useful Windows software that you own until such time as you discover replacements.

Good luck.

Caruso
    you could always download GIMPshop wiach will make GIMP look just like PS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I Believe the OSX version of photoshop came first, and the Win version is nothing like it, at least it wasn't when I last tried with CS2. I find gimp actually is a closer representation of OSX Photoshop on Linux than the windows versions, probably contributing to Adobes decision not to build a version for Linux, when there is such a close FOSS solution available.

For FTM try gramps, its supports Gedcom, however its remains the one reason I can't switch my mother to Linux, whether reluctance to learn something new or lack of functionality I'm not sure as I don't use it myself.
    "Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899
    Ubuntu user #24001

Beans
    Hidden!

Another great site for windows alternatives:

http://www.osalt.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have programs that I need XP for (Transcender, uCertify, AOL) I just have Windows in a VirtualBox that way I'm not constanly rebooting. I also have Windows 7 in a VirtualBox for research on my business.
    Last edited by theozzlives; May 23rd, 2009 at 09:17 AM.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned this one that's a bit closer to home: https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/switchi...uivalents.html
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by The-ITu View Post
    you could always download GIMPshop wiach will make GIMP look just like PS.
    As best I can tell, gimpshop is available only for i386 not amd64. Every single link I found through google results in a 404 Error, Server Down, or the file is just not there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cc48510 View Post
    i really like ubuntu, but i'm still stuck dual-booting with windows xp (vista and windows 7 rc1 suck imho) because some of my programs are windows only. Are there linux equivalents of any of the following:

Itunes: = try amarok

visual studio (basic, c#): = code::blocks

photoshop: Try gimpshop

3d home architect deluxe: = sweet home 3d

family tree maker: = gramps

activesync: Contact this guy...he manages to use his smart phone in linux rp_ongym <---his ym

fitday: = open fitness
    hth,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast