Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Installed just great! Thanks. Although I'm not really digging Fluxbox. Too light? This will be great when I nab an old system.

Beans

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Very nice. And very fast. Given I can work out the quirks, this might be my desktop of choice from now on. Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The Fluxbox homepage lists a source for a Debian package of 0.9.14-1.

On that page, the maintainer has provided a deb file specifically for Breezy.

http://logicvortex.net/debian/fluxbox/

Much easier than building yourself. (not as much fun though)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iandefor
    How do I change the GTK themes?
    Add "gnome-settings-daemon &" (without quotes) on startup. That will load the theme you set in Gnome.

---

Thanks for the how-to by the way.

Beans
    Distro

You could also install gtk-theme-switch. Then run 'switch' to change your gtk 1 theme and 'switch2' to change your gtk 2 theme.

Beans

Just a quick note if you edit the /etc/apt/sources.list and change to dapper I had to make sure it was dapper not Dapper..not sure if this was something I did wrong or just haow it worked for me...Thanks Just checked it out and it worked by changing the apt/souces.list.....Almost to fast for me!
    Last edited by Installer36; February 9th, 2006 at 05:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mine is all set up, Works great!! Just playing around with everything a bit ...

has anyone here given 'fluxstyle' a try yet? It's the only thing I can't seem to get installed right.
    VivaLaRoach

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I really like fluxbox, works great on my old dell latitude. But I have a couple of problems.
    1) I put the fbsetbg -l in my startup file but everytime I log in I get an error that says that there wasn't a previously stored background. But when I run the same command from xterm it replaces the background no problem.

2) Whenever I try to lower the transparency values for the title bar/window/slit nothing happens. I have ran these commands : fluxbox -i and xdpyinfo | grep. And both of them say RENDER. And there isn't an option for the Menu transparency, there's alpha options for the slit and toolbar, but not one for the menu. So how can I change the transparency of the menu? I have the latest dev version f/m their site.

Any ideas? Help much appreciated.
    Last edited by kch_86; February 10th, 2006 at 12:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

1) There should be a file in your ~/.fluxbox directory called lastbackground or lastwallpaper, something like that. That is the file that is read by the fbsetbg -l command. Also, the style you currently have selected can override that command, unless you put fbsetbg -l as the rootCommand option in your ~/.fluxbox/init file.

2) Look through the settings in your ~/.fluxbox/init file. Just look for the pattern trans. Make sure that the transparency related keys you find are all enabled and see if it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I looked through the init file. I tried setting - forcepseudotransparency and - decorateTransientWindow to true. I also tried setting the alpha channel for menu and windows to 150 and, but it didn't do anything.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast