Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Beans

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

i used the command
    xterm -help
    and couldn't find the option for transparency...could someone tell me what option it is and how you show it on your desktop like some of those screenshots of people's desktops are...sorry for being noob, im learning

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: fluxbox how-to (compiling from source the latest version) plus tips & tricks

Quote Originally Posted by zetsumei View Post
    i used the command

and couldn't find the option for transparency...could someone tell me what option it is and how you show it on your desktop like some of those screenshots of people's desktops are...sorry for being noob, im learning
    xterm doesn't, by itself, support pseudo-transparency. They are probably using a different terminal program that does. (Eterm, Aterm, rxvt, urxvt, mrxvt, gnome-terminal, Konqueror, ...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I love fluxbox, but I can't decide on what I want to use as a toolbar. Right now I have gdesklets added to startup, and I'm using Gnome Bar (from Toolbar/Misc) which is kind of okay, but I was using xfce4-panel before and I liked it better, but it's just not what I want.

Any ideas out there? What do you all use?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    I love fluxbox, but I can't decide on what I want to use as a toolbar. Right now I have gdesklets added to startup, and I'm using Gnome Bar (from Toolbar/Misc) which is kind of okay, but I was using xfce4-panel before and I liked it better, but it's just not what I want.

Any ideas out there? What do you all use?
    None at all. I have a key-binding to the root menu so I have no need for a panel. The default toolbar is enough for me. As for available panels, I've seen people use the ones you have already mentioned as well as pypanel, perlpanel, fspanel, fbpanel, suxpanel, rox (more of a desktop than panel), gnome-panel, Kicker (from KDE), YAB (from Adesktlets), and Modubar (from Adesklets). I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Yab, but I just sat and messed around and finally it sunk in how to get the menu where I could edit it to how I want it, sooooo, I can now put just what I want right where I want it. I see now how there's really no need for that bar after all !!!

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I settled down with gdesklets using the basic toolbar/launcher which is easily personalized.

Now I have a question about my mouse... I have xmodmap working okay, but I need to get my dpi up to 800, how do I get locomo to run in fluxbox? My mouse is pathetic in online gaming, and I play a run and gun mod called Zark on our Unreal Tournament server.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I settled down with gdesklets using the basic toolbar/launcher which is easily personalized.

Now I have a question about my mouse... I have xmodmap working okay, but I need to get my dpi up to 800, how do I get locomo to run in fluxbox? My mouse is pathetic in online gaming, and I play a run and gun mod called Zark on our Unreal Tournament server.
    Usually, any programs you want to run automatically should be added to your ~/.fluxbox/startup file. I'll post mine as an example (that differs from the default):
    Code:
    /home/bubba/.fluxbox $ cat startup 
    #
    # custom script that updates a file with all my wallpapers (50,000+ of them)
    # notice that it is started in the background
    #
    wallpaper-list-create &

#
    # restore my preferred nvidia driver settings
    #
    nvidia-settings --load-config-only

#
    # Set the root window to solid black by default
    #
    fbsetroot -solid black

#
    # Turn off annoying beeps
    #
    xset -b

#
    # Set the keyboard repeat delay and rate
    #
    xset r rate 250 30

#
    # I like having the numlock on by default
    #
    numlockx

#
    # Start fluxbox in the background and save it's process id
    # This gives it a chance to draw the initial desktop before
    # other programs startup
    #
    fluxbox -log "/home/bubba/.fluxbox/log" &
    fluxpid=$!

#
    # Start gkrellm in the background and save it's process id
    #
    gkrellm2 &
    gkpid=$!

#
    # Start my custom wallpaper rotating program in the background
    # and save it's process id.  (rotate wallpaper every 300 seconds)
    #
    wallpaper-set-rotate 300 &
    wsrpid=$!

#
    # Now wait until the fluxbox process id exits (i.e. until I exit fluxbox)
    #
    wait $fluxpid

#
    # Send a kill signal to my wallpaper script and gkrellm
    # so that they can shut down cleanly as X exits
    #
    kill $wsrpid
    kill $gkpid

Beans
    Distro

Thanks yab, but the numlocks thing didn't work for me, and I wonder how one would pid gdesklets? How do you find out what to put on that line? That's a really neat trick. If I click to restart fluxbox, I lose gdesklets, and I suppose that pid line would stop that from happening?

I've been doing all this in feisty so far, and decided to try now in dapper, and just remembered that fluxbox never showed up (loaded from synaptic) no matter what I did, so I hope following this guide will fix that)

*edit: duh, installed numlockx
    Last edited by BLTicklemonster; December 23rd, 2006 at 07:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks yab, but the numlocks thing didn't work for me, and I wonder how one would pid gdesklets? How do you find out what to put on that line? That's a really neat trick. If I click to restart fluxbox, I lose gdesklets, and I suppose that pid line would stop that from happening?

I've been doing all this in feisty so far, and decided to try now in dapper, and just remembered that fluxbox never showed up (loaded from synaptic) no matter what I did, so I hope following this guide will fix that)

*edit: duh, installed numlockx
    I don't run gdesklets, so I'm not sure if what I show there would work for that. Check the documentation for gdesklets to see what, if any, command line parameters it takes. It could be that you can call it with some kind of kill or shutdown option. Adesklets has such an option, so perhaps gdesklets does too. Also, I'm not sure about the restart problem with gdesklets. I don't see that behavior from the programs I start. Perhaps it is a gdesklets thing?

Beans
    Distro

The gdesklets icon in the toolbar disappears, as well as the actual thing I use. I guess I'll keep looking. I was putting locomo -8 & in startup, it was supposed to be locomo & so I have that straight now. Thanks for your help.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast