Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Basics: A gentle introduction to accessing 'svn' repositories

Beans

Re: Linux Basics: A gentle introduction to accessing 'svn' repositories

Hi kevdog,

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Although a little bit off topic, is there a way with the different revision numbers and such to generate a patch file, and then later apply the patch. Is diff the utility to create patch files?
    In any guide I have ever written there is no 'off topic', I always enjoy moving beyond a set topic .To produce an actual patch is a simple variation of one of the methods I described in the 'Advanced' section, the difference simply being use of '>' to redirect the output to a file. So to produce a patch that demonstrates the difference between revision 18905 and revision 18906:

Code:
    svn diff svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk -r 18905:18906 > $HOME/Desktop/changes.diff
    will produce a nice formatted diff and you do not even need any of the standard diff options.

All the best,

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; August 20th, 2009 at 01:16 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So I'm taking, you could apply this patch to the older svn repository to update it? Yea I know this seems silly, but I've run into some examples when I might want to use this utility.

Beans

Hi kevdog,

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    So I'm taking, you could apply this patch to the older svn repository to update it? Yea I know this seems silly, but I've run into some examples when I might want to use this utility.
    You would be a little lucky to have a patch like this apply cleanly to older versions but at the very least you could examine the change and attempt to replicate it with similar changes to the older source code. I have done this myself and it is a lot of fun as long as you are prepared for some unpredictable results .

The only effort of my own produced in this way that I would every acknowledge was a patch to allow a custom OS to be used in the User-Agent string for slrn:

*****************************custom_os.patch

But I produced this in the same manner that you have mentioned, with a bit of extra work and advice from others mind you...

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Wink Re: Linux Basics: A gentle introduction to accessing 'svn' repositories

I like the short and get-to-the-point style of your article. It would be great if there will be article related in how to use svn to help patching ubuntu project.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the advice and real world experience. I could really use a primer on the use and production of patch files.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12