Thread: Can't import video file from digital camera

Beans

Can't import video file from digital camera

The video file I have on the camera is about 1,7 Gb and it seems no applications can manage to handle it. I always get some type of error. If I take a picture, and try to import it, I have no problem.

I have Ubuntu 9.04.

What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Can't import video file from digital camera

How is the file stored on the camera? how is it connected? what kind of application do you need to "handle" it? what happens when you connect to the PC? what kind of error?... and any other pertinent information would be helpful.
    Last edited by pastalavista; May 23rd, 2009 at 03:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

With the camera plugged in, what is the output of:
    Code:
    ls -R /media

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pastalavista View Post
    How is the file stored on the camera? how is it connected? what kind of application do you need to "handle" it? what happens when you connect to the PC? what kind of error?... and any other pertinent information would be helpful.
    It's stored as a .MOV file. To the USB port. An application that can import the video from the camera to my computer. It detects the camera but I get an error (#60- Could not mount the device)... but if I have pictures and I use, let's say F-Spot, I can save them in my computer with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    With the camera plugged in, what is the output of:
    Code:
    ls -R /media
    Code:
    /media:
    cdrom  cdrom0

/media/cdrom0:

Beans
    Distro

OK it sounds like it just needs to be mounted manually. Probably a different filesystem. run in terminal
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    while the camera is connected before and after opening it with f-spot to find out its dev#. you'll need to edit /etc/fstab to make it auto-mount.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pastalavista View Post
    OK it sounds like it just needs to be mounted manually. Probably a different filesystem. run in terminal
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    while the camera is connected before and after opening it with f-spot to find out its dev#. you'll need to edit /etc/fstab to make it auto-mount.
    I'm not really sure how to identify the camera when I run that, I see my HDDs.

Beans

Ok, so I finally have the video file on my computer. I'm not really sure what I did to fix the problem, but it might the command Pastalavista posted.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Tasc0; May 23rd, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typo.

Beans
    Distro

Open System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager. Search for "mount" and make sure 'mount','pmount', 'usbmount' and 'pysdm' are installed. If they are, go to the System->Admin menu again and run 'Storage Device Manager' (or in terminal enter 'pysdm'). Be sure to run it with the camera connected. It will make it easier to configure and make mount points. Another good prgram for doing that is 'mountmanager'. It can all be done in terminal but somebody else will have to walk you through that process. I'm too noobish..
    Last edited by pastalavista; May 24th, 2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: to say "you're welcome"