Thread: linking sound options?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

linking sound options?

Okay, maybe not the most accurate title, but it closely describes what I'm trying to do. I recently made a complete turn over on my laptop from dual-boot windows/Ubuntu to full Ubuntu 9.04. So far it's a fairly painless turnover and I'm very happy with MOST of how things are going .

I'm currently trying to tackle a bit of a strange sound conundrum. Actually it's more like a two-part problem. I'm using my Dell Inspiron 9300 (laptop) as my Linux haven from windows woes (pretty snazzy huh? ) Anyway sound is working just fine except that my Inspiron has two "separate" sets of speakers. There are the front sets that handle highs and a separate "sub woofer" on the bottom that handles mids and lows (but not really). For some reason the alsa sound manager identifies the front speakers as master and the sub as PCM. What I would like is for both speakers to be controlled from master master. What currently happens is I have to adjust them separately. Is there any way to control them as one? If I use the normal volume knob, only the front speakers go down.

Second, my laptop has front media controls (play/pause/stop/volume up/volume down/mute/track forward/track backward) that just don't seem to work. Play and pause work, volume does nothing... I'm guessing it's linked to my aformentioned problems.

Any ideas folks? Oh, and thanks ahead of time for reading and trying to fix my problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: linking sound options?

bump
    One new thing: I've installed and tried using alsamixergui and gnome alsa mixer to see if I could get any results and nothing in there will let me lock the two sounds options together. Any ideas anyone?