Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 6.06 On A iMac G3?

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu 6.06 On A iMac G3?

It don't work!!!

Beans

Angry Re: Installing Ubuntu 6.06 On A iMac G3?

I need help!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installing Ubuntu 6.06 On A iMac G3?

I was thinking of installing a version of Ubuntu on my in-laws old G3 computer the next time I visit.

First off, I would discourage you from bothering with 9. Even if it does install, it won't work very good with that hardware. It is a great looking OS, I wish I had better hardware myself.

I was thinking of perhaps trying a version of 6 or something like that...

I was gonna read around some more to see if anyone has had success with it.

That said, I would keep my head down, and try six or nothing =) From my experiences, and what I have read, version 7, was rather problematic for PPCs - for whatever reason. So, if six doesn't work, you could try 8. But, really, I would guess 6 would be the best bet.

Think what would happen if you tried to install Windows XP on that old of a computer, that you bought with Windows 98 =) Well, it wouldn't even install. So, I think you get my point. Even if it could, would you really want it to? =) Installing modern software on a old computer can be problematic. Newer is not always better. Another example, image what your average prom queen will look like 20 years later trying to fit into the same outfits =) (if they even fit!)
    Last edited by matamoscas; June 4th, 2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: bad english

Beans

Red face Re: Installing Ubuntu 6.06 On A iMac G3?

wait...... how did you know I have a 98 computer and I want to put xp on it?

Beans

Question Re: Installing Ubuntu 6.06 On A iMac G3?

Quote Originally Posted by matamoscas View Post
    I was thinking of installing a version of Ubuntu on my in-laws old G3 computer the next time I visit.

First off, I would discourage you from bothering with 9. Even if it does install, it won't work very good with that hardware. It is a great looking OS, I wish I had better hardware myself.

I was thinking of perhaps trying a version of 6 or something like that...

I was gonna read around some more to see if anyone has had success with it.

That said, I would keep my head down, and try six or nothing =) From my experiences, and what I have read, version 7, was rather problematic for PPCs - for whatever reason. So, if six doesn't work, you could try 8. But, really, I would guess 6 would be the best bet.

Think what would happen if you tried to install Windows XP on that old of a computer, that you bought with Windows 98 =) Well, it wouldn't even install. So, I think you get my point. Even if it could, would you really want it to? =) Installing modern software on a old computer can be problematic. Newer is not always better. Another example, image what your average prom queen will look like 20 years later trying to fit into the same outfits =) (if they even fit!)

no, really how did you know?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123