Thread: The Linux Festival

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Linux Festival

Hello, everyone.

Does everyone here remember seeing about a thousand homemade Ron Paul signs a year and a half ago? Well, I never made anything, but some really nice people sent me a very nice-sized box of Paul campaign materials. Getting something for free seemed to help my opinion of his whole run for President. I think that the supporters of Paul got it right!

I started thinking that maybe we could apply something like this to Ubuntu. We could all pitch in (or get sponsors, more than likely) to rent a small park, or something, and set up a Linux fair. We can advertise it in newspapers, or what have you.

Basically, the point of this fair would be to have multiple activities for the curious proprietary user, the fed up proprietary user, the 1337 Linux user, and more specifically, anyone at all who'd like to come.

Perhaps one of us, or many of us, could speak, and give presentations, and also have machines set up to test-drive the Ubuntu experience.

After this, we could hand out Ubuntu goody bags of sorts, with CDs, stickers, etc.

This would be a LoCo event like no other, but I can see it happening, with the proper commitment.

I would be honored to help organize it if everyone likes the idea, but before I get ahead of myself, what's everyone's opinion?
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: The Linux Festival

Some of us had actually starting talking about holding an UbuCon last year. Those discussions kind of morphed and turned into Atlanta Linux Fest.

If you are interested in doing something UbuCon, go for it, and let us know how we can help out. Also, you might want to mention this on the Ubuntu Georgia mailing list.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'll certainly see about perhaps organizing an Ubucon for our LoCo, but thank you very much for pointing me to the Atlanta Linux Fest! I'll definitely be there!

I'll wait on organization until I have my schedule straightened out/after the Linux Fest, though. Maybe sometime in January?
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I would suggest February at the earliest. Lots of folks are still on vacation or doing family stuff right after the holidays.

Beans

I support this idea. A "Linux Fair" would be a great way to spread Ubuntu and OSS. Although I doubt we would want many concessions there, seeing there would be a ton of computers...

My suggestion for a date (range) is either sometime in spring or autumn. People are on vacation during the summer months, and people are on vacation often between December and January. Sometime in April/May or August/September would be best, as not much occurs those months.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm definitely up for April/May, if you are. That gives us a year to organize everything.

Hellow, will you be at the Atlanta Linux Fest? Perhaps everyone interested in my arrangement might meet up there and start initial planning?
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BslBryan View Post
    Hellow, will you be at the Atlanta Linux Fest? Perhaps everyone interested in my arrangement might meet up there and start initial planning?
    I'm going to try to come, but seeing that I am starting my first year of high school after August, and the ALF is September 19th, I cant make any guarantees.

Beans

This really does sound like an awesome idea. I'll try and make the the Atlanta Linux Fest myself, but please keep us posted though. Sounds extremely interesting!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ciroberts View Post
    This really does sound like an awesome idea. I'll try and make the the Atlanta Linux Fest myself, but please keep us posted though. Sounds extremely interesting!
    I'm really glad the response is pretty positive here! Unfortunately, the idea got shot down pretty quickly when I brought it up on the mailing list.
    US Army Band Veteran
    Bodybuilding Crew