Thread: Having trouble getting Brother DCP-130C driver working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Having trouble getting Brother DCP-130C driver working

Hi,

I have a Brother DCP-130C printer and am trying to get it installed and running on Ubuntu.

The printer isn't listed under the default database that pops up when Ubuntu detects a new printer.

I found some linux drivers on the brother website. http://solutions.brother.com/linux/e....html#DCP-130C

I downloaded the deb files (as opposed to rpm) which i believe is right, yes/no?

Had no luck installing them myself.

I then followed this tutorial howto http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=71104

with a little more luck, but still got some errors.

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i DCP130lrp.deb
    produced this error
    Code:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/spool/lpd/dcp130c': No such file or directory
    chown: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp130c': No such file or directory
    chgrp: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp130c': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp130c': No such file or directory
    and
    Code:
    this error
    Code:
    /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp130c/cupswrapper/cupswrapperdcp130c: 70: cannot create /usr/share/cups/model/brdcp130c.ppd: Directory nonexistent
    /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp130c/cupswrapper/cupswrapperdcp130c: 274: cannot create /usr/share/cups/model/brdcp130c.ppd: Directory nonexistent
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/share/cups/model/brdcp130c.ppd': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/cups/model/brdcp130c.ppd': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/share/ppd/brdcp130c.ppd': No such file or directory
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                         [ OK ] 
    lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file!
    Any help or insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Having trouble getting Brother DCP-130C driver working

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbay90 View Post
    Hi,

I have a Brother DCP-130C printer and am trying to get it installed and running on Ubuntu.

The printer isn't listed under the default database that pops up when Ubuntu detects a new printer.

I found some linux drivers on the brother website. http://solutions.brother.com/linux/e....html#DCP-130C

I downloaded the deb files (as opposed to rpm) which i believe is right, yes/no?

Had no luck installing them myself.

I then followed this tutorial howto http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=71104

with a little more luck, but still got some errors.

Code:
    produced this error
    Code:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/spool/lpd/dcp130c': No such file or directory
    chown: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp130c': No such file or directory
    chgrp: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp130c': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/dcp130c': No such file or directory
    and
    Code:
    this error
    Code:
    /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp130c/cupswrapper/cupswrapperdcp130c: 70: cannot create /usr/share/cups/model/brdcp130c.ppd: Directory nonexistent
    /usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp130c/cupswrapper/cupswrapperdcp130c: 274: cannot create /usr/share/cups/model/brdcp130c.ppd: Directory nonexistent
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/share/cups/model/brdcp130c.ppd': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/cups/model/brdcp130c.ppd': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/share/ppd/brdcp130c.ppd': No such file or directory
     * Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd                         [ OK ] 
    lpadmin: Unable to copy PPD file!
    Any help or insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    chrisbay90, you did not menion what version of Ubuntu you are using, you shoukld be able to down load the drivers/packages from Synaptic Package Manager located in System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager, just to a search for DCP_130C, packages you are lookin for are: brother-cups-wrapper-bh7 and brothe-lpr-drivers-bh7 install these packages and hopefully your DCP-130C printer will work to install the Scanner corectly it will depend on what version of Ubuntu you are using. The turtorial yuo use is getting a little long in the tooth for recent versions of Ubuntu. May I suggest you read the Post by BroadDWorld Poll: HOWTO: Ubuntu All Brother Printer & Scanner Driver Installation for Newbies! there are many threads but it's worth the read to help you understand about Brother multi-functions printers. TopEnder

Beans

I think that TopEnder's advice probably gives the safest way to install your printer but if you still want to go with Brother's Linux drivers (which I do myself), please note that you must install first the LPR driver, then the CUPS WRAPPER driver, in that order. Failure to do this generates errors.

Then, from your favorite web navigator, type "localhost:631". This gives you access to the Common UNIX Printing System. Click "Add Printer" and follow the install procedure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TopEnder View Post
    you shoukld be able to down load the drivers/packages from Synaptic Package Manager located in System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager, just to a search for DCP_130C, packages you are lookin for are: brother-cups-wrapper-bh7 and brothe-lpr-drivers-bh7 install these packages and hopefully your DCP-130C printer will work
    Thank you. That worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by TopEnder View Post
    you did not menion what version of Ubuntu you are using
    Ubuntu 9.04
    Everything works fine now but I thought i would add it incase someone else comes along with the same problem.

That other HOWTO seems very promising in getting the scanner working.

Again thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Frantic_Earthling View Post
    I think that TopEnder's advice probably gives the safest way to install your printer but if you still want to go with Brother's Linux drivers (which I do myself), please note that you must install first the LPR driver, then the CUPS WRAPPER driver, in that order. Failure to do this generates errors.

Then, from your favorite web navigator, type "localhost:631". This gives you access to the Common UNIX Printing System. Click "Add Printer" and follow the install procedure.
    Thanx for the advice Frantic_Earthling. I'v tried that, but it just doesnt seem to work for me. I do have it working now though, using TopEnder's advice. Thanx for the tip about the ocalhost:631 CUPS web interface, its been EXTREMLY usefull and have been using it since.

Beans

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Worked for me also!