Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1.5 TB Optical Disc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: 1.5 TB Optical Disc?

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Although unlikely to affect computer users much these days even the humble cassette is still going strong. (I haven't used a cassette-based storage on a computer for nearly 20 years)

http://www.3news.co.nz/Rewinding-bac...3/Default.aspx
    Police still rely on cassettes as many lawyers don't trust digital technology.
    interesting...didn't know that

Beans

I can't wait for storage to get bigger and cheaper. You can already get 64 gigabyte USB sticks. It looks like internet companies are going to do everything in their power to not upgrade our connection speeds over the next few years. Trading super huge discs and sticks amongst friends might well be the best way of sharing large collections of large files soon enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by monsterstack View Post
    I can't wait for storage to get bigger and cheaper. You can already get 64 gigabyte USB sticks. It looks like internet companies are going to do everything in their power to not upgrade our connection speeds over the next few years. Trading super huge discs and sticks amongst friends might well be the best way of sharing large collections of large files soon enough.
    yeah, pony-express-with-usb-stick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by logos34 View Post
    yeah, pony-express-with-usb-stick
    It's a pretty cool idea. I mean, Debian has 35 discs [debian.org] nowadays. Alternatively, you could get the whole lot on to a single Blu-Ray disc. Not a bad way of lugging about a distro if I do say so myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by logos34 View Post
    Anybody seen this:

And I thought the earlier report about developments in 500 GB optical disc was astounding.

This one looks like it has a better chance of being realized in the near future.

I just wonder how long it will take to burn an entire disk? A few hours?

Hard disks keep getting so big and cheap it probably won't be worth it to buy a burner,
    it would be great for long term storage. hard disks are great, but you alway have that risk of the drive failing and taking your 500gb with it(it happened to me....(sigh..)). the speed of the burn would depend on the speed of the disk spin and how accurate the burner is and how much data you are burning. 1.5tb at 2x would take FOREVER(days at least) 100x would probably be a few hours.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by monsterstack View Post
    It looks like internet companies are going to do everything in their power to not upgrade our connection speeds over the next few years.
    It looks like my ISP is coming to the party, sort-of: in one of my local papers this week there was a front-page article about broadband speeds in my area. It kinda contradicted itself: at one point it implied that ALL customers in the area would benefit from twice the speed, and then later gave figures that indicated that some customers in the area currently have speeds that are half of what others in the area get. My own experience I get variable speeds, even with the ADSL2+ modem/router (a "freebie" provided by the ISP, on the condition that I stay with them at least 2 years otherwise I'd have to fork out something like $199 or more) and living about 2km from the nearest telephone exchange.

I really must sort out the phone wiring here in the Lisati household (currently relying on an extension chord to the one and only phone socket in the house, have cable and a new socket, just haven't gotten round to installing it properly yet)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    It looks like my ISP is coming to the party, sort-of: in one of my local papers this week there was a front-page article about broadband speeds in my area. It kinda contradicted itself: at one point it implied that ALL customers in the area would benefit from twice the speed, and then later gave figures that indicated that some customers in the area currently have speeds that are half of what others in the area get. My own experience I get variable speeds, even with the ADSL2+ modem/router (a "freebie" provided by the ISP...
    Bottom line is, in too many countries internet service is a scandal...A handful of telecoms are throttling speeds for average users because they "own the pipes"...Always complaining about having to deliver more and more multimedia bandwidth. They want to force you into forking out more $$$ for premium service...

At my current lousy adsl speeds, in the time it takes me to download a linux live cd iso I could probably drive to the library, dl it using their T1 line, copy it to usb and be back, with an hour to spare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Optical media is too unreliable to be anything other than disposable.

When a 1.5tb blank costs 50p and the writer drive costs under £20 I might consider using them.

(that won't be soon)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati
    Although unlikely to affect computer users much these days even the humble cassette is still going strong. (I haven't used a cassette-based storage on a computer for nearly 20 years)

http://www.3news.co.nz/Rewinding-bac...3/Default.aspx
    Police still rely on cassettes as many lawyers don't trust digital technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by logos34
    interesting...didn't know that
    I worked for a couple of legal firms & I have to say that they were dumb as dogshit when it comes to using computer technology.

There was a particular barrister (outside of the people I worked for) that used Mac's in his office & no one in the office could be educated (multiple phone calls) to save their documents in a format that other non-Mac people could read.

Good god (sorry I didn't mean that) barristers are payed huge amounts per quarter hour, yet they still can't learn how to communicate with their associates.

Working for the legal eagles taught me a lot about how dumb (in practical terms) they are. They had the same mentality as the management of the car dealerships I worked for.

Glib lipped, fast brained, practically useless, & totally untrustworthy. From my experience.

They were ALL 12:00 flashers.
    Last edited by handy; May 21st, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12