Page 96 of 100 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Ubuntu 10.10 seems to not last as long as my Win7 install.... shorter battery life. I'm curious as to others with 3810T out there on how long the battery lasts with your Ubuntu 10.10 install.

Beans

Not sure if anybody is still using this forum but if they have and are looking for a couple of fixes to Maverick - these fixes work for both the Timeline 3810t and Timeline 4810t for me but no guarantee they will work for you.

1) Brightness - edit grub line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" as follows

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    edit grub line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" so that it reads GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux" and update grub

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    reboot and brightness keys should work properly.

2) Internal Microphone (took nearly two years to find this fix) - edit alsa-base.conf

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    and make sure that you have the following lines at the bottom of the file:

Code:
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto
    reboot and that should be the end of that. Model=auto is important for this fix. Skype also works with internal mic with this fix.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by japglish View Post

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    One small point: When you want to sudo graphical apps, you should always use gksudo.

Though with gedit it's usually not a problem, you risk breaking a graphical program's configuration if you don't.

Beans

The display on my 3810TGZ is about to die for the third time within 18 months. I am not very confident on the warranty to still apply So hopefully it will last another few weeks. This time the backlight is dying (in parts). Currently, about 30% of the bottom illumination is dead.

My final conclusion is: no more Acer ever ever ever!!!

This is really the most discouraging device I have ever had and has severly pushed me towards buying either something like Lenovo (rock-solid) or one of the recent tablets...

Has anyone had similar experience with the device?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by acermobile View Post
    The display on my 3810TGZ is about to die for the third time within 18 months. I am not very confident on the warranty to still apply So hopefully it will last another few weeks. This time the backlight is dying (in parts). Currently, about 30% of the bottom illumination is dead.

My final conclusion is: no more Acer ever ever ever!!!

This is really the most discouraging device I have ever had and has severly pushed me towards buying either something like Lenovo (rock-solid) or one of the recent tablets...

Has anyone had similar experience with the device?
    No, I replaced my 3810T with a ASUS Eee PC T101MT netbook-tablet 4 months ago. Not as powerful, but the battery last almost as long, it's 20% lighter, louder speakers and no design flaws I've discovered or read about yet. It even fits in my camera bag. Since I wanted a tablet (the classical type with a keyboard) for years, it's obvious that I I'm really happy with it. Though after "that Acer" I would probably be really happy with almost every laptop.

ps: If I wouldn't have bought this netbook I would have probably gone for the, 3 times as expensive, 12" thinkpad tablet of Lenovo.
    Last edited by miegiel; March 1st, 2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: ps

Beans

Interesting. What about the multi-touch (or touch) in Linux? Is it working? If so, what else is working out-of-the-box with ubuntu (or kubuntu)?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by acermobile View Post
    Interesting. What about the multi-touch (or touch) in Linux? Is it working? If so, what else is working out-of-the-box with ubuntu (or kubuntu)?
    Yes, though not out of the box yet (assuming you mean the touchscreen). But I'm hopeful about natty. It's a bit like with the acer timeline. In the beginning, when the hardware is just released, support is spartan. But after a year, most or all of the essential parts work out of the box.

However this is all a bit off topic for the acer timeline thread. Here are 2 links to feed your curiosity:

And I'm sure there are similar threads on other convertible tablets.

Beans

Hello, I have a problem with booting Usb 11.04 from flash.

I have notebook Acer 3810t with Windows. I burn iso on flash with usb-creator. All copied ok
    When I boot from my flash-drive I see only with syslinux info line and this is all. No flash or hdd activity.
    Please help me

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by leonko View Post
    Hello, I have a problem with booting Usb 11.04 from flash.

I have notebook Acer 3810t with Windows. I burn iso on flash with usb-creator. All copied ok
    When I boot from my flash-drive I see only with syslinux info line and this is all. No flash or hdd activity.
    Please help me
    I never had any problems booting from USB on the 3810T. Are you sure it's not a natty problem/bug? If so, you should seek help in the natty sub forum.

Ubuntu 11.04 is still in development and still has bugs. If you want to try ubuntu you're recommended to try 10.10 or another stable version. With development versions you run the risk everything works fine today and everything (software not hardware) is broken tomorrow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    I never had any problems booting from USB on the 3810T. Are you sure it's not a natty problem/bug? If so, you should seek help in the natty sub forum.

Ubuntu 11.04 is still in development and still has bugs. If you want to try ubuntu you're recommended to try 10.10 or another stable version. With development versions you run the risk everything works fine today and everything (software not hardware) is broken tomorrow.
    Yes, it's bug with creater. I write iso with LinuxLive usb creater and all be ok (on ati card)
    Thank you. I try 11.04 to watch energe changes from 10.10..

Page 96 of 100 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast