Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Tried 1.15, computer froze twice already. Flashed back to 1.10.

Not sure if it's directly related to the new BIOS, but think twice before flashing if your machine is important.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To be more accurate it is a Linux-bios combination problem, since suspend-resume works fine in Windows, with the current bios.

Just out of interest, are there any kernel experts here that could say if the problem is either:

1) It is impossible to get the Linux kernel working with the current 3810T bios (1.10) because suspend-resume works fundamentally differently to how it works in Windows.

or

2) It is in theory possible to get suspend-resume working with the current bios but without access to the proprietary Windows suspend-resume code it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    Tried 1.15, computer froze twice already. Flashed back to 1.10.

Not sure if it's directly related to the new BIOS, but think twice before flashing if your machine is important.
    Thanks for the warning.

Beans

I see that Acer has posted version 1.17 of the 3810 BIOS. Has anyone tested it? Does it solve any problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

can someone check if virtualization support was added in bios 1.15 or 1.17?
    or may be some of acpi problems (suspend) fixed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Flashed v1.17 on my 3410 this evening and it doesn't fix suspend on my laptop unfortunately.

Sorry I don't know how to check for virtualization but the F2 BIOS screen looks the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mr bob View Post
    Sorry I don't know how to check for virtualization but the F2 BIOS screen looks the same.
    While booting I get a warning (3810T BIOS 1.10) that the KVM module can't be loaded because it's disabled by the BIOS (or something like that). KVM stands for Kernel Virtual Machine. But you only get the warning if you disable the boot splash.

note: I haven't had the boot splash disabled for some time, so I'm assuming nothing has changed : )

edit: To disable the boot splash change the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" line in /etc/default/grub to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" and run update-grub to commit the change (for grub2 in karmic).
    Last edited by miegiel; November 21st, 2009 at 04:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I disabled the splash and I didn't notice any warnings about KVM.

I also tried sudo modprobe kvm and there were no warnings. So I hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mr bob View Post
    I disabled the splash and I didn't notice any warnings about KVM.

I also tried sudo modprobe kvm and there were no warnings. So I hope that helps.
    No just booted with the 1.10 BIOS and splash disabled and I don't get the warnings either anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've been thinking for a while that the solution to this problem is not to try to hack the kernel or the BIOS but to complain loudly. The fact of the matter for me right now is this:

1. The 3810T is *great* except for the stupid suspend issue.

2. I can understand that there may be a *little* lag between the release of a machine and having full functionality in Linux.

3. However, complete disregard of the Linux market is simply unacceptable. There are no excuses.

Hence the 3810T will be both the first and the last Acer I ever buy. I've bought Dells and Sagers in the past and except for a temporary (and short) lack of full functionality initially (see point 2 above), the Dells and the Sagers quickly became fully operational in under Linux, either because the manufacturers cooperated or because they followed standards.

Regarding point 3 above, I'm ready to bet that there is an manager at Acer who made the calculation that ignoring the Linux market is financially better for Acer because they save on support but still sell machines. They are hoping that Linux users will just accept it. That person has to learn that ignoring the Linux market means lost sales.

Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast