Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by Tombuntu81 View Post
    Hi I've had a read through the forum.. not finding much. would anyone mind confirming if they were able to boot from a usb stick on the Acer 3810tz? Mine just hangs.. I can't what setting might be adjusted as the bios has only limited variables.

Many thanks
    Tom
    When I need to boot from a USB stick (on different types of machines), I often find the USB sticks listed together with the hard drives in the boot options section BIOS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    When I need to boot from a USB stick (on different types of machines), I often find the USB sticks listed together with the hard drives in the boot options section BIOS.
    thanks Miegiel. But have you you managed to do so on an acer 3810tz? I've done the same, it's definitely set to boot first from the USB.. and clearly the USB is detected but for some reason the system then crashes (it doesn't on my other laptop, a dell).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you running the latest version of Ubuntu (12.04)? I had a similar problem on an older Compaq Presario where I had to do acpi=off for all versions after 10.04. I would suggest downloading a 10.04 image and see if it works. If that image works it might mean something has changed and you are seeing a bug. If it still doesn't work.... well.... we can keep bumping this thread until someone else can help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS View Post
    Are you running the latest version of Ubuntu (12.04)? I had a similar problem on an older Compaq Presario where I had to do acpi=off for all versions after 10.04. I would suggest downloading a 10.04 image and see if it works. If that image works it might mean something has changed and you are seeing a bug. If it still doesn't work.... well.... we can keep bumping this thread until someone else can help
    so far I've tried 11.10, 12.04, and also Slitaz 3.0 stable (http://www.slitaz.org/en/get/). Each of these produced an identical result - i.e. the boot haning on the Linux copyright line.

I'm downloading 10.4 right now though - will see how we go. thanks very much
    Tom

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS View Post
    Ah, success! Actually, I had three USB sticks keys handy. The first produced the result I mentioned, the second wouldnt format at all, and the third worked. So I guess corruption on the USB was probably the error. However, i'd not have tried this without attempting a install of 10.4, so you helped me resolve this. thanks!

Tom

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ah, success! Actually, I had three USB sticks keys handy. The first produced the result I mentioned, the second wouldnt format at all, and the third worked. So I guess corruption on the USB was probably the error. However, i'd not have tried this without attempting a install of 10.4, so you helped me resolve this. thanks!

Tom
    Oh good. I have found that sometimes just pushing someone to try stuff helps. Glad you figured it out!!

Beans

Yeah! And now on to the next series of hurdles (installing openelec dual boot)..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah! And now on to the next series of hurdles (installing openelec dual boot)..
    You can just install XMBC in Ubuntu. It is in the software center

Beans

yes I realise, thanks, but openelec looks ideal as the system can boot into it directly..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

cool... here are some other options if you are interested

Ubuntu XMBC distro
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

(add a lightdm "session")
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116726

Hope all goes well

Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast