Page 70 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by within View Post
    Hi there,
    About the Skype and PulseAudio issue (mic sound), here is maybe some fix and steps to follow to make it work. I haven't found the time yet to do this, but I will:
    I've installed backport kernel modules:

linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.31-19-generic

and after that in alsa-mixer i've adjusted capture level of left (by pressing Z) to zero and increased right to maximum by pressing E. That was helpfull.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks Gvorcek48 for this tip, happy it was helpfull for you.

I did find a way of using ALSA in skype and it works great. I gathered some information, and here there are:

1st, I did follow the steps given by Notselfcreated here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...99&postcount=9

# Installed padevchooser
    Code:
    apt-get install padevchooser
    it did install few other things
    # Unchecked all "Mute" options and checked "Record" in the mixer settings and sound settings.
    # Tested with default "Sound Recorder" (it works fine there).
    # Installed linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic
    # Set all volume options to max.
    # Unchecked "Allow Skype to control... etc. etc." in the Skype options.

2nd, I did launch skype in using ALSA (in fact, it fails launching PulseAudio, so t swich to Alsa insted) as blackest_knight said:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=15

In System --> Preferences --> Main Menu

edit the properties of skype and replace in Command skype by /bin/sh -c "PULSE_SERVER=127.0.0.1 skype"

When launching skype, you can make a test call and you will see you can finally record your own voice and can call people!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!

anyone know how to get two finger scrolling on lucid (it no longer has hal).

Also brightness still doesn't work on the 4810T.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

About sensors and Fan speed control

Since I've booted my laptop and logged in, my fan is running all the time. Even if the sound is not high, I am afraid after some months of usage it will get worse.
    This also reflects some supposed issue with proper power control (I use 99% of the time AC power, not battery).
    I've read riskable posts and plan to modify things to get lower power usage, but I am not sure it will completely solve this. Indeed, it seems no one here speaks about what I call a 'fan issue'...

Question: What to do to make the laptop more silent and keeping it cold?

Right now, I have with sensors command:
    Code:
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1:       +26.8°C  (crit = +127.0°C)                  

coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0:      +43.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)  

coretemp-isa-0001
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 1:      +42.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    and with acpi -ac command I get:
    Code:
    Adapter 0: on-line
    Cooling 0: LCD 3 of 9
    Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
    Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 10
    By the way, I run Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit Karmic Koala on a Acer TimeLine AS3810TZG-413G32n model, with ATI card with PowerPlay feature on, set as 'maximum battery'.
    Last edited by within; February 26th, 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: mistake in first part of the post - now deleted + some updates

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sashin View Post
    anyone know how to get two finger scrolling on lucid (it no longer has hal).

Also brightness still doesn't work on the 4810T.
    Make a .fdi file.

Here's a post on my 1st fdi adventure. There's also info at Ubuntu Documentation > Ubuntu on the Acer Timeline laptops

My cuernt .fdi file :
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <!-- external mouse
      <device>
         <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">mouse</merge>
            <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name" string="Linux">
               <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evdev</merge>
               <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">false</merge>
               <merge key="input.x11_options.ButtonMapping" type="string">2 1 3</merge>
            </match>
         </match>
      </device>
    -->
      <device>
         <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
    <!-- 
               DON'T USE SHMConfig (unless you must, for example to run 'synclient -m 10'),
               obsolete (in karmic and later at least) and a security risk.
            <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">On</merge> -->
    <!-- 
               The following is an example of swapping buttons on the Synaptics
               TouchPadthat DOESN'T WORK anymore. See the end of 'man synaptics'
            <merge key="input.x11_options.Buttons" type="string">3</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.ButtonMapping" type="string">2 1 3</merge>

NOTES :
            <merge key="input.x11_options.RTCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>          disable tap-right-top-corner button
            <merge key="input.x11_options.LTCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>          disable tap-left-top-corner button
            <merge key="input.x11_options.LBCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>          disable tap-left-bottom-corner button
            <merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger1" type="string">1</merge>            For pads that support true multitouch
            <merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger2" type="string">3</merge>            For pads that support true multitouch
            <merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger3" type="string">2</merge>            For pads that support true multitouch
    -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">2</merge>              <!-- set tap-click to middle mouse button, run 'xinput set-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" 2 1 3' to swap buttons 1 and 2. This gives you middle click on the left button and left click on tap. -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">0</merge>              <!-- disable 2 finger tap-click, 2 finger tap-click to menu = 3 -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">0</merge>              <!-- disable 3 finger tap-click -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.RBCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>          <!-- disable tap-right-bottom-corner button (is on by default on my machine) -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">0</merge>          <!-- disable edge scrolling -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateMidButtonTime" type="string">0</merge>    <!-- effectivelly disable middle button emmulation -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" type="string">4</merge>    <!-- set 2 finger emulation presure -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinW" type="string">7</merge>    <!-- set 2 finger emulation pinch width -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>     <!-- enable 2 finger scrolling -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.JumpyCursorThreshold" type="string">150</merge>  <!-- stabilize 2 finger tapping and 2 finger scrolling -->
            <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxDoubleTapTime" type="string">50</merge>
         </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    Beware of the left button a middle mouse botton swap !!!

ps. Stuff between <!-- and --> are notes.

Hmm wait, lucid (must read better ). This doesn't work in lucid anymore !?
    Last edited by miegiel; February 26th, 2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: ps ... wait

Beans
    Hidden!

It doesn't seem to, I've tried. Hal seems to be 100% gone.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sashin View Post
    It doesn't seem to, I've tried. Hal seems to be 100% gone.
    That's bad news (for me anyway).

Maybe you can find info or help in the Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion sub-forum.

Beans

LE DBacklit broken :(

Hey everyone.

Bad news: The backlit of my laptop ceased on Friday. I will send the notebook for a (hopefully quickly done) repair - they announced it to take 5-7 days... Since the laptop has been (carefully) used for just about 3 month I am greatly disappointed. My previous MSI book had the same failerure after almost 4 years and abusive use (thousands of lid open/close-procedures). Cross your fingers...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: LE DBacklit broken :(

Quote Originally Posted by acermobile View Post
    Hey everyone.

Bad news: The backlit of my laptop ceased on Friday. I will send the notebook for a (hopefully quickly done) repair - they announced it to take 5-7 days... Since the laptop has been (carefully) used for just about 3 month I am greatly disappointed. My previous MSI book had the same failerure after almost 4 years and abusive use (thousands of lid open/close-procedures). Cross your fingers...
    Does it look like this (see attachment)? That's the botom edge of my screen, a bit left of center (3810T). I made my desktop white, you can't see it that well when it's black.

In the past month or 2 it sometimes would go off if I carried the laptop holding it at the battery, but it would always come on again. But now it's been off for about a week. I think it's a loose contact. It's not annoying me that much anymore. But that might be because I went to the dentist last week. There are always worse things that can happen.

Anyway, I think I've said it before in this thread, I'm never ever ever buying an acer again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

My entire screen is carbon black.If there is enough diffuse light, then the reflections suffice to view parts of the screen (need good eyes though). I had exactly the same on my previous notebook in which a cable running through the hinges broke. I "repaired" the old notebook and kept on using it for another 8 months or though (currently writing on it actually), but it was time for a new one after more than 4 years...

Now it appears that 3 month can also eliminate the backlight (has to be a loose contact or something, but i tried everything possible without having to open the device - nothing helped).

Has anyone else had product failure on this notebook? I am also keen to see the response time - package sent this morning...

Page 70 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast