Page 8 of 100 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

for powersaving, look into this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=847773

it's meant for the xps m1330, but it should be a good starting point, since most of it should be the same for the timeline, as both have intel chipsets
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Beans

Angry Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by tokyoahead View Post
    Hi guys,

2. The LAN Card
    On this page here: http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx you can find the AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz driver. The README in the file pretty much explains the installation. The MAKE INSTALL failed for me on the installation of the man-file but that does not seem to have mattered. Now the card is deteced.

Here is a mode detailed description:
    $ gunzip AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz
    $ tar xvf AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz
    $ cd src/
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    restart
    [/URL]
    I just buy my acer 3810t and install ubuntu 9.04 but the only thing thast not work is the lan card. I cant find anywhere AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz only [459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9.tar.gz which did not work with my pc. When i try to "sudo make install" there is an error:

================================================== ===
    ivan@ivan-laptop:~/Desktop/[459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9/src$ make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/ivan/Desktop/[459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9/src modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic'
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 0 modules
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic'
    ivan@ivan-laptop:~/Desktop/[459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9/src$ sudo make install
    [sudo] password for ivan:
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/ivan/Desktop/[459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9/src modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic'
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 0 modules
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic'
    # remove all old versions of the driver
    find /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic -name atl1e.ko -exec rm -f {} \; || true
    find /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic -name atl1e.ko.gz -exec rm -f {} \; || true
    install -D -m 644 atl1e.ko /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl1e/atl1e.ko
    install: cannot stat `atl1e.ko': No such file or directory
    make: *** [install] Error 1
    ================================================== =====
    Please someone help!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthead123 View Post
    install: cannot stat `atl1e.ko': No such file or directory
    make: *** [install] Error 1
    Check if atle.ko does exist you might have the typo bug mentioned here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hard disk overheating

Hi everyone and thank you for the very useful info I found here. I have a 4810T and used Ubuntu without any problems for some weeks. Actually the laptop used to get hot in the hard disk place but I didn't pay great attention to that... Till the other day: after doing too many experiments I decided to re-install Ubuntu. Partition Editor told me that in the Vista partition some clusters were corrupted. I ignored it and tried to proceed anyway, but the process stopped with a disk error and then even grub was lost. Anyway after waiting some hours I was able to launch the installation again and now have both the systems working...

The problem is that now I'm too scared to go back to Ubuntu even if I'm already missing it
    Have you experienced overheating problems too? Can you please help me finding a solution?

Beans
    Distro

Re: hard disk overheating

I would suggest you recover the original partitioning from the Windows recovery disk and then do a clean Ubuntu install.
    With the new Ubuntu, can you report this problem in a new launchpad bug?
    http://bugs.launchpad.net

Attaching at least this info:

cat /proc/version > proc.version.txt
    sudo lspci -vvnn > lspci.vvnn.txt
    uname -a > uname.txt
    lsmod > lsmod.txt
    sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt
    /var/log/syslog
    /var/log/kern.log.0
    /var/log/kern.log

Quote Originally Posted by Step by Step View Post
    Hi everyone and thank you for the very useful info I found here. I have a 4810T and used Ubuntu without any problems for some weeks. Actually the laptop used to get hot in the hard disk place but I didn't pay great attention to that... Till the other day: after doing too many experiments I decided to re-install Ubuntu. Partition Editor told me that in the Vista partition some clusters were corrupted. I ignored it and tried to proceed anyway, but the process stopped with a disk error and then even grub was lost. Anyway after waiting some hours I was able to launch the installation again and now have both the systems working...

The problem is that now I'm too scared to go back to Ubuntu even if I'm already missing it
    Have you experienced overheating problems too? Can you please help me finding a solution?

Beans
    Distro

Just got an Acer Timeline 4810T yesterday (Thanks to this forum btw). Anyone care to explain or provide me a link how to work around the brightness settings? The brightness controls seems to work but does not actually change the screen brightness.

Beans

I see some people on this thread saying that they have had no issues and some people staying that they have had a few issues. For the people that are saying this thread helped them fix everything or that everything is working for them 100%, are you able to suspend the laptop or is that mostly the sticking point right now?
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    UbuntuSecurity
    Blawg
    Questions pertaining to "stealthed" ports kind of make me LOL IRL

Beans
    Distro

Is there someone out there that is able to recompile kernel?
    i'm not very good in doing that stuff..but if all the people with acer timeline could have a compiled kernel that allow them to use the suspend function, hi saving batteries, remove all the useless modules (es PCMCIA, IRDA ecc ecc..), allow ubuntu to see 4 gb of RAM ecc ecc..with all these stuff i think that acer timeline+ubuntu will be better than apple..and many many people interesse! Canonical instead should do this!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by federa View Post
    Is there someone out there that is able to recompile kernel?
    i'm not very good in doing that stuff..but if all the people with acer timeline could have a compiled kernel that allow them to use the suspend function, hi saving batteries, remove all the useless modules (es PCMCIA, IRDA ecc ecc..), allow ubuntu to see 4 gb of RAM ecc ecc..with all these stuff i think that acer timeline+ubuntu will be better than apple..and many many people interesse! Canonical instead should do this!
    Hi,

There's a post a few pages back that talks about using a .deb and dpkg to install an updated kernel which will supposedly work with suspend and other stuff. Might want to give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

My timeline is still in the mail. I'll report back once it arrives
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    UbuntuSecurity
    Blawg
    Questions pertaining to "stealthed" ports kind of make me LOL IRL

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post
    Hi,

There's a post a few pages back that talks about using a .deb and dpkg to install an updated kernel which will supposedly work with suspend and other stuff. Might want to give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

My timeline is still in the mail. I'll report back once it arrives
    i'm using the kernel 2.6.30...problems are not solved: resuming after suspend still doesn't work, battery life is not so much long as you use windows..ram is 3gb instead of 4gb...BUT: backlight works much better

nothing more nothing else..

Page 8 of 100 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast