Page 24 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Cool Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

After a partial upgrade of karmic alpha 3 I re-have the reboot/shutdown issue.

Everytime I try to turn the laptop off the cursor appears and starts blinking. The only way to stop it is an hardware power off.

I am using a 64 bit version with the latest kernel. I boot with libata.force=noncd in AHCI mode.

Any suggestion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by -RAX- View Post

Everytime I try to turn the laptop off the cursor appears and starts blinking. The only way to stop it is an hardware power off.

I am using a 64 bit version with the latest kernel. I boot with libata.force=noncd in AHCI mode.

Any suggestion?
    i solved this by using 2.6.30.5 compiled through kernelcheck (a really cool program). the blinking cursor has now gone away on shtdown.

Beans

Wink Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by xir_ View Post
    i solved this by using 2.6.30.5 compiled through kernelcheck (a really cool program). the blinking cursor has now gone away on shtdown.
    Thanks for the tip, I am downloading it right now.
    Did you use any specific settings or you just run it automatically?

I will let you know as soon as I try.

Beans

No it didn't work.. maybe i didn't configure it right. Should I have disabled ata support?

I do not have the issue with kernel 2.6.31-6, so I will use that for now. Hopefully they will fix the bug in the 31-8

Beans

In this post[1] Salixman made reference to that the 2.6.30 kernel fixes the problems with backlight (brightness controls) and some networking probs on the 4810T. I am using the 2.6.30 Debian Kernel and I still have broken backlight controls and have to compile Ethernet drivers still.

I think they referring to the latest 2.6.31-rcX[2] kernels that fix the problems.

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=29
    [2] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.31-rc7/

Beans

Interesting thought, i completely agree with your perspective

taux demande pret personnel en ligne credit simulation Faire un pret immobilier en ligne avec un bon credittaux demande pret personnel en ligne credit simulation

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Any suggestion?
    The shutdown/restart bug has been fixed in kernel 2.6.31-8.

If you're using karmic keep an eye on the Karmic Koala Testing and Discussion sub-forum, many problems with karmic aren't acer timeline related

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for the tip, I am downloading it right now.
    Did you use any specific settings or you just run it automatically?

I will let you know as soon as I try.
    I just compiled to my cpu spec (might as well get a tiny bit of extra performance), core 2, disabled all the multi core options, and set the kernel frequency to 1000hz.

Silly question but are you sure that it booted you into the new kernel, on one laptop it didnt become the default kernel.

Beans

My new 3810T laptop works great with 64bit Jaunty, yet I have a couple of questions.

How to map a function key? Fn+F2 does not do anything (unlike the other Fn combintions). xev does not see Fn keypress and neither does xbindkeys.

What do the "backup" and "powersave" keys do under Ubuntu? They do light up when touched, but I cant really understand their functions. "Backup" seems to do nothing, while "powersave" seems to prevent suspend if off while on battery power. It cannot be enabled while on AC.

Another thing is that the screen backlight seems to flicker slightly when set to minimum brightness. This is extremely annoying and hurts my eyes (as do higher brightness settings ). Is there any way to fix this?
    Last edited by hammeraxe; August 28th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Beans

I got a 5810T a few days ago, and this thread has been really helpful so far. I upgraded to Karmic shortly after getting Ubuntu installed. So far, I've experienced a few rather major issues

1) Screen tearing issue during video. Karmic fixed this.
    2) Cannot change brightness. Like many others, it seems, I cannot adjust the backlight brightness. I haven't been able to get any of the suggested fixes that I've seen to work. The Fn+arrow keys cause Gnome's slider to change, but the actual brightness doesn't. When I try xrandr, I get

Code:
     >  xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    X Error of failed request:  BadRROutput (invalid Output parameter)
      Major opcode of failed request:  149 (RANDR)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  15 (RRGetOutputProperty)
      Serial number of failed request:  30
      Current serial number in output stream:  30
    I did a bit of searching, and it seems that LVDS is really the only output option that'd make sense for a laptop, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm not familiar enough with X or how the screen works in linux to know what to do from there.

3) Resuming from suspend is fairly broken. I can get logged back in after I suspend, but the video is somewhat garbled. The top bar on every menu (the one with minimize, maximize, etc.) is missing, and some of Gnome's menus are covered in lines. Also, any new window I attempt to open isn't visible. Logging out/in seems to fix this issue. I have a sneaking suspicion that the laptop's lack of dedicated video memory and the way that suspend is restoring memory has something to do with this, but I don't know enough to go from there.

All in all, it's decent enough so far, but I am eagerly awaiting the release version of karmic, which will hopefully stabilize the experience. If I can get the brightness and suspend issues fixed, I'll be quite a bit happier.

If anyone has any ideas how to correct my two outstanding issues, let me know. Thanks

edit: I forget to include a couple of other minor bugs I've seen. I've noticed others have mentioned these, as well. The touchpad enable/disable button will disable the touchpad, but when I try to re-enable it, nothing happens. The same goes for the wifi enable/disable button.
    Last edited by CptMath; August 31st, 2009 at 07:03 PM.

Page 24 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast