Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Acer Timeline 3810T

Hi guys,

I just got my Acer 3810T and trying to install linux on it. I want to document here what I am doing to get it run and hope you will contribute your own experiences here to create a central resource.

The following things do not work out of the box (list to be extended)

1. SATA: the boot takes forever, with error messages. Actually it crashes without interaction. I have to press CTRL-ALT-F1 as soon as the ubuntu-screen with the progressbar pops up, and wait until the messages stop. then press enter, and I see {initramfs} Then I enter 'exit', which bring up the messages (see below) again but eventually it will show the login screen. submitted bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/379831
    Workarounds:
    - If you go into BIOS and switch the SATA mode to IDE (from AHCI), it will work, but this will disable any Vista that is installed.
    - Further, you can workaround the issue by adding "libata.noacpi=1" to your kernel boot command line

2. The LAN Card
    On this page here: http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx you can find the AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz driver. The README in the file pretty much explains the installation. The MAKE INSTALL failed for me on the installation of the man-file but that does not seem to have mattered. Now the card is deteced.

Here is a mode detailed description:
    $ gunzip AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz
    $ tar xvf AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz
    $ cd src/
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    restart

3. Camera: works fine also after installing the proper driver:
    - type in: sudo modprobe uvcvideo
    - type in: sudo apt-get install cheese
    - type in: cheese
    - set the resolution in the preferences to 640x480 to get rid of the distortion
    - done!

The following version DO work out of the box, as far as I could test it:
    1. The graphics. They start up directly in the right resolution.
    2. The SD-Card reader. Inserted cards are opened and read fine.
    3. The Wireless network. The reception is strong and connections work good
    4. The soundcard. Speakers work fine, even though the volume of the internal speakers is low (same as in Vista)
    5. Bluetooth. I was able to discover and pair with my cellphone
    6. The FN-linked button for sound, screen brightness, bluetooth off/on etc

Attaching an external Screen

I have a Samsung 970p here and wanted to attach it with a resolution of 1280x1024 and had some trouble doing it. So here is the solution in case you also have issues getting the proper resolution.

First, know the resolution and the frequency. 60Hz is working fine here.
    You have to find out a modeline for the screen you are using. For this go into a shell and type:

Code:
    # gtf 1280 1024 60.0
    which gives you the modeline for 1280 x 1024 at 60Hz:
    Code:
      # 1280x1024 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 63.60 kHz; pclk: 108.88 MHz
      Modeline "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync
    Then you edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to look like this:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
            Identifier      "Acer Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
            Identifier      "External Monitor"
            Modeline        "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Internal Screen"
            Monitor         "Acer Monitor"
            Device          "Video Card (Primary)"
            SubSection "Display"
                    Virtual         1900 1200
                    Modes           "1900x1200" "1366x768" "1280x1024"
            EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Video Card (Primary)"
            Option          "Monitor-VGA" "External Monitor"
    EndSection
    Note where I inserted my modeline to make it work. If you then log out and log in again, the menu SYSTEM - PREFERENCES - DISPLAY should show the 1280x1024 resolution in the dropdown. This is the general direction. If this does NOT work for you for whatever reason, please take a look at this here: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tokyoahead; June 14th, 2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: added working camera

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

I am considering, a lot, buying one of these laptops. Once I can convince my fiancee to go 'halfies' with me. I probably won't be installing ubuntu but I probably will be, if I need to, watching ubuntu threads for problems/help.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the system in general and any other install issues.

Thanks

Beans

Any luck? All the above with jaunty install i guess?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by djolk View Post
    I am considering, a lot, buying one of these laptops. Once I can convince my fiancee to go 'halfies' with me. I probably won't be installing ubuntu but I probably will be, if I need to, watching ubuntu threads for problems/help.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the system in general and any other install issues.

Thanks
    its a nice system. I had a heavier Toshiba Portege M500 before. This sytem is much less hot, the resolution gives a lot more than the 1280, and the battery is actually 8 hours w/o problems. The keyboard is also good, but if you are used to a 12'' laptop it takes a bit getting used to the larger keyboard.

the built-in camer is super-clear, and the wlan reception is VERY strong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codedash View Post
    Any luck? All the above with jaunty install i guess?
    Yeah its all 9.4

Did not have time to go further into it. will try this weekend egain. so far I do not even know what the actual problem is coming from.

Beans

After turning the hard disk mode in BIOS form AHCI to IDE, I can boot ubuntu without problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielviolin View Post
    After turning the hard disk mode in BIOS form AHCI to IDE, I can boot ubuntu without problems.
    Thanks a lot for the info. And recognizes everything? graphics, sound etc? Because i plan to buy the 4810T so if yours work with jaunty that one will also.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codedash View Post
    And recognizes everything? graphics, sound etc?
    I would not rely on this since there are different configurations for Graphics and maybe also for sound.

From my experience the intel graphics card is recognized w/o any problems with the right resolutions right away. I have not checked the sound yet.

Beans

Please give it a try some day. I plan buying it at the end of june so your review would be very helpfull. Thanks

Beans

Ok I can confirm now that switching the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE enables 9.04 to be installed. However, a dualboot into a previously installed Vista will not work anymore. I assume that reinstalling vista will be working if you re-install it after you switched to AHCI.

One more remark: I have read on some places that the support for AHCI is improved in the upcoming kernel. I tried to start 9.04 from a USB stick which gave the same problems as from the harddisk. However stating the pre-release of the latest fedora-version did not have this issue. I assume that the later kernels are more able to work with AHCI.

Also, I tried out the SD-Card reader now which works fine. No time yet for other functionality.

Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast