Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by Giovy View Post
    I checked all the volume levels, I've tried different audio source but still no audio.
    In the first post of this thread I can read that the audio should work out of the box...
    That's why I'm thinking it's not related to the 3810T but a general sound problem (and that you should look for help in a general sound thread). In any case, you need to figure out what the problem is. Here are 2 links to get you on your way.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound

Beans

Arrow Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Hi,
    Thanks a lot for documenting all the tricks to get Ubuntu installed on the Timeline.

I have placed my order today and cannot wait to install Kunbuntu on it.

I have 2 questions for the ones who already installed it:
    - Is the 64bits distro ok as well? (especially for the Lan driver..)
    - What about battery life? (I have read that the 8 hours were only possible due to some serious Acer optimization software installed in Windows and I will assume there isn't a Linux version yet

Personnaly, I only need around 6 hours with Wifi enabled but was wondering what you guys have experienced so far and if you have any tips...

Many thanks for this thread.
    BooToo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks and Water View Post
    Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on the subject, but what exactly is happening when you switch from AHCI to IDE? Is there any functionality that you're losing as a result?
    I would assume that any powermanagement of the harddisk ist not working anymore. This might be the casue why it is currently not possible to resume from standby for at least some if not all users.

UPDATE: What I wrote here was wrong since I confused ACPI with AHCI. Read the next post from soleblaze for a clarification.
    Last edited by tokyoahead; June 9th, 2009 at 12:31 AM.

Beans

AHCI controls advanced SATA II features, such as native command queuing and hot swapping. It has nothing to do with power management. However, ACPI does.

If you're turning off ACPI instead of AHCI then you will lose the ability to put your laptop to sleep/hibernate. You should also lose the ability to do cpu scaling and some misc monitoring features.

Does the laptop work fine disabling AHCI or ACPI, or do you need to disable both? Also how much battery life are y'all getting? I'm thinking about getting one, but if I have to disable ACPI then I'll have to wait until that's fixed. (AHCI isn't an issue for me, I use a SSD that doesn't support AHCI)
    Last edited by soleblaze; June 8th, 2009 at 10:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by soleblaze View Post
    Does the laptop work fine disabling AHCI or ACPI, or do you need to disable both?
    thanks for clearing up my confusion. the laptop works with disabling AHCI.

Beans

hello everyone.

everything works fine except bluetooth. when i type "hcitool dev" i will get no devices.
    what should i do, to get bluetooth to work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BooToo View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks a lot for documenting all the tricks to get Ubuntu installed on the Timeline.

I have placed my order today and cannot wait to install Kunbuntu on it.

I have 2 questions for the ones who already installed it:
    - Is the 64bits distro ok as well? (especially for the Lan driver..)
    - What about battery life? (I have read that the 8 hours were only possible due to some serious Acer optimization software installed in Windows and I will assume there isn't a Linux version yet

Personnaly, I only need around 6 hours with Wifi enabled but was wondering what you guys have experienced so far and if you have any tips...

Many thanks for this thread.
    BooToo
    You are correct, the timer for the battery life never says more than 4 hours but I believe this to be a loose approximation because it also say that the battery life is unknown as well. I have not actually tried to run out the battery in Linux and time it. You might be able to change the brightness of the screen to save some more.

Beans

I can't say this will work for everyone but it worked great for me. I have the 4801TZ version and what I did is I actually installed 8.04 first which loaded fine without the need to change any of the settings, be it that it didn't have many of the drivers. So I read this forum and thought why not give Jaunty a try and I reinstalled over the previous version I had first put on without formatting it and it worked perfectly without having any problems. I have re-installed Linux many times and noticed that many times it kept settings and other features after re-installing. I am not entirely sure how it worked but I am just happy it worked.

Beans

for those who struggle with lan like me:
    - get the driver on this page here: http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx you can find the AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.8.tar.gz drive

$ gunzip tar.gz file
    $ tar xvf tar.gz file
    $ cd src/
    $ make
    $ sudo make install

restart - whoala lan is working

ps maybe you need linux-ports-source or linux-source-2.6.28 and than restart if not tell me..
    dont forget to say thanks

anyone dont you know how to fix gma sync to vblank issue? In the motion its not worst. try to move with window have you desynchronization like me?
    Last edited by yuki86; June 12th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

for the graphics, try this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast