Page 94 of 100 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Bios 1.04 = silent fan

Quote Originally Posted by anywhere88 View Post
    It sounds strange to me, i've that bios version and my fan never turns on at all (at startup i get 40°C while in windows it's about 27), are you sure it is not always off? Which previous bios did you have?
    Is there anyone who can say if there is there is any way to fix all fan problems (both always on and off)?
    Other people have also mentioned that the fan problem can be fixed by downgrading the BIOS to earlier versions. I think I'm gonna give it a go. Do I need to downgrade stepwise from BIOS version 1.28, or can I go to 1.04 for instance directly? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qnano View Post
    Other people have also mentioned that the fan problem can be fixed by downgrading the BIOS to earlier versions. I think I'm gonna give it a go. Do I need to downgrade stepwise from BIOS version 1.28, or can I go to 1.04 for instance directly? Thanks.
    If you changed any settings in the BIOS you should load the defaults in the BIOS before you flash. If you do, you're probably safe. Also remove any BIOS passwords if you set any.

I haven't read about anyone bricking their laptop by a bad flash, but there's always a risk. When BIOSes are tested (AFAIK) they only test if BIOSes can be upgraded to the new BIOS and not the other way around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    If you changed any settings in the BIOS you should load the defaults in the BIOS before you flash. If you do, you're probably safe. Also remove any BIOS passwords if you set any.

I haven't read about anyone bricking their laptop by a bad flash, but there's always a risk. When BIOSes are tested (AFAIK) they only test if BIOSes can be upgraded to the new BIOS and not the other way around.
    Careful, I have bricked a 4810T that way.
    I've seen recommendations to flash it from a DOS live cd instead of Windows, they say it's safer.

Bottomline is, at least when I needed it, there was no BIOS recovery method. I had to turn in my device to warranty (they just traded it for a new one because it was the second day).

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Hello group. I've just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my 3810T the other day... I've got a few minor issues.

I can't get the SD car reader to work. Inserting an SD card does nothing.

And how do I monitor for power consumption?

Thanks in advance guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamrac View Post
    Hello group. I've just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my 3810T the other day... I've got a few minor issues.

I can't get the SD car reader to work. Inserting an SD card does nothing.

And how do I monitor for power consumption?

Thanks in advance guys.
    Did you try mounting it manually? Maybe the card is just not being automatically detected.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    Did you try mounting it manually? Maybe the card is just not being automatically detected.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, but still no go... Any way to make Ubuntu re-detect the sd-card reader?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey guys!
    Just got my 3810t back from acer norway, they fixed the so-called Black screen of death for me. When I try booting into ubuntu I get the error:

Code:
    mount: Mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: No such file or directory
    mount: Mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory

Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
    I've read that I need to boot into a live USB and run fsck but I can't get my system to boot my USB stick. I remember that I had some problems getting the USB to boot when I first installed Ubuntu but I found a workaraound, and now I can't remember what it was. I remember that I changed some sys file in my Vista partition (?)

My question is, can anybody help me with the booting issue or is there a way to fix this from the command prompt that comes up after the error message?

Thanks a bunch for any reply!
    Did I just say something stupid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I have a 3810T as well, not TG, not 4810.

And I installed Ubuntu 10.04 as its sole OS.

And everything seems fine.
    Solved VAIO-NVIDIA related Graphics problems! Always wanted to triple-boot Windows + Mac + Ubuntu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1470822
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theasprint View Post
    Hi,

I have a 3810T as well, not TG, not 4810.

And I installed Ubuntu 10.04 as its sole OS.

And everything seems fine.
    Have you tested the SD-card reader? That's the only hardware on the unit that does not work for me on Ubuntu 10.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tamrac View Post
    Have you tested the SD-card reader? That's the only hardware on the unit that does not work for me on Ubuntu 10.10
    Ignore this one.... Already fixed the problem. =)

Page 94 of 100 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast