Page 82 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by within View Post
    I don't use wireless, so I am not sure if my answer will be "enough", but I know this issue has been discussed and solved.
    First of all, I did to get my wireless device info (I have a 3810TZG Timeline model):
    Code:
    lspci
    to find it is:
    Code:
    02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 100 Series
    Then, you should follow this, posted on the dedicated help page for Timeline, last fix:
    HTML Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireTimeline/Fixes

Hope it helps
    Thanks! It seems to be working, I've been using a wireless connection for several hours now with no problems (which had never happened before). I'll post back if I get disconnected in any case.

Beans

Hi every one.

I just installed the ubuntu 10.4 on my 3810TZ and everything was ok but I installed the ATI driver proposed and since ... black screen .... If I switch off the computer I can see the logout screen ...

¿any idea how to solve this ? even if I had to come back with no open source driver ... I can't have acces to CTRL+F1 ...

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by splater View Post
    Hi every one.

I just installed the ubuntu 10.4 on my 3810TZ and everything was ok but I installed the ATI driver proposed and since ... black screen .... If I switch off the computer I can see the logout screen ...

¿any idea how to solve this ? even if I had to come back with no open source driver ... I can't have acces to CTRL+F1 ...

Thanks
    Did you try Ctrl+Alt+F1? The GUI starts pretty soon with lucid. Sorry, I can't really help with the driver issue, my timeline has no ati and I haven't had bootup-graphics-driver-issues on one of my machines for ages and don't know where to start solving that anymore. (Well yeah, I know where I'd have to start and it starts with a G)

Beans

Hi.

I have Lucid working with ATI graphics - no probs.
    You should install the driver via jockey-kde. Did you switch to "discrete" in the BIOS? This completely disables the onboard graphics. A good way for getting back to X without the proprietary driver is the removal of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then (after installation of the driver) you might want to try the following XORG.CONF which is working perfectly for me (backup old config!):

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "amdcccle Layout"
    Screen 0 "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "0-LVDS"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1366x768"
    Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
    Option "Position" "0 0"
    Option "Rotate" "normal"
    Option "Disable" "false"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "0-CRT1"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    Option "PreferredMode" "1366x768"
    Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
    Option "Position" "0 0"
    Option "Rotate" "normal"
    Option "Disable" "false"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Driver "fglrx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "Monitor-LVDS" "0-LVDS"
    Option "Monitor-CRT1" "0-CRT1"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0"
    Device "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

and install catalyst (sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle). Further I suggest something like "sudo ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdcccle /usr/local/bin/catalyst" such that catalyst is in your path. Then you are fine to configure the card to your needs.

I just checked my power consumption and achieved the ultimate minimum of 6,7 W with wireless enabled and discrete graphics. So more than 8 h bat. life at office use is feasible (use the various powersaving scripts published earlier in this thread).

BTW: I would not try using Xinerama - it may work, but it may also cause some trouble.

Hope this resolved some of your problems!

Beans

thanks with the discret I was able to make it working again. Tonigh I will try your config you are talking about !!

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by riskable View Post
    Only run this command ONCE. Also, if you've run it more than once make sure to edit /etc/fstab to get rid of all the extra "tmpfs /tmp..." entries (you only need it listed once).

Also, you can make these scripts run whenever you're on battery power if you add them to /etc/laptop-mode/batt-start. For example:

Code:
    root@portarisk:/etc/laptop-mode/batt-start # ls -l
    total 4
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 805 2010-02-16 17:09 3810t_power_save.sh
    root@portarisk:/etc/laptop-mode/batt-start # cat 3810t_power_save.sh 
    #!/bin/bash
    # Author: Riskable
    # http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8736103#post8736103
    #
    # Description: Enables every power saving feature I know of
    #

# Enable Intel HD Audio power saving
    echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    echo Y > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller
    echo 1 > /dev/dsp # Gotta make a sound to turn it on

# Enable various kernel power saving features
    echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

# Enable SATA power management
    for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/*; do echo "min_power" > $i/link_power_management_policy; cat $i/link_power_management_policy; done

# Enable Wifi power management
    /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 power on

# Enable the most aggressive hard drive power savings
    hdparm -B 1 -S 12 /dev/sda # Note: '-B 1' does work on the 3810T hard drive but doesn't save you much

# Enable USB autosuspend for all USB devices
    for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*; do echo 1 > \$i/power/autosuspend; done
    for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*; do echo auto > \$i/power/level; done
    You can also add a "turn power saving features off" script to batt-stop to speed things back up again on AC power. Example:

Code:
    root@portarisk:/etc/laptop-mode/batt-stop # ls -l
    total 4
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 325 2010-02-16 17:10 3810t_power_save_off.sh
    root@portarisk:/etc/laptop-mode/batt-stop # cat 3810t_power_save_off.sh 
    #!/bin/bash
    # Author: Riskable
    # http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8736103#post8736103
    #
    # Description: Disables some power saving features to speed things up when on AC power.
    #

# Disable Wifi power management
    /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 power off

# Tone down hard drive power savings to speed things up
    hdparm -B 254 -S 255 /dev/sda # Note: May not work on the Acer Timeline's hard drive
    1. Will those scripts in start and stop folders run automatically, as I do not see any instruction where it mentions to laptop_mode to launch the 3810t_power_save.sh in corresponding modes!

2. Is the "laptop_mode start" always running, or it has to be launched by including the command in "/etc/init.d/boot.local"? Also it be good to point that laptop_mode is not installed by default, and needs to be installed, hence the question.

I read that them scripts can be as well added to "/etc/init.d/boot.local", and not the /etc/laptop-mode/..." folders.

As per sound problem, I didn't install anything extra, just launched "alsamixer" > F4 > and maxed the rigth channel (0 for left channel) in Capture, and Input Source set to Mic. This way Skype works perfect.

For ATI, select discrete in BIOS, as there is no switching support for now, and install the driver from System>Admin>Hardware Drivers.

Riskable/Admin >>
    It be really handy to have all the instructions, step-by-step posted on first post and pinned, and to include other tweaks as well, related to 3810T/TG models.

Thanks.
    OpenSource is good for you and for the world!

Linux and OpenSource Wolrd Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by E@zyVG View Post

Riskable/Admin >>
    It be really handy to have all the instructions, step-by-step posted on first post and pinned, and to include other tweaks as well, related to 3810T/TG models.

Thanks.
    This is the aim idea of my blog... unfortunately, I am quite busy with work lately, and more important, my blog is a google one (blogspot), which is blocked in China, where I work almost 50% of the time in a year.

I know it' a bit off topic, but... if anyone could forward to a blog which is fine, simple, nice AND that works in China... it could be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by within View Post
    This is the aim idea of my blog... unfortunately, I am quite busy with work lately, and more important, my blog is a google one (blogspot), which is blocked in China, where I work almost 50% of the time in a year.

I know it' a bit off topic, but... if anyone could forward to a blog which is fine, simple, nice AND that works in China... it could be helpful.
    You should be able to get at your blog via a VPN located somewhere else in the world. Or you could add the stuff to the Ubuntu Documentation > Community Documentation > AspireTimeline pages. But that's a wiki, so others can edit/expand on it too.
    Last edited by miegiel; May 7th, 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@ miegiel:

you're right about VPN. I have to find one.
    About th official page, I don't believe my contribution will really add benefits to it. I plan to gather the information I used (most of them from there, but also from here) as well as my own comments about the softwares I use, and the way I prepared my laptop to use Ubuntu. It's a bit "too personal" for a contribution to an official page...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm afraid but Ubuntu Linux kills my battery and this is fact 0,5 mW capacity reducing each time I use all battery till automatic shutdown. Crap!

I have 10.04 with 2.6.32 kernel. The same problem appeared with 9.10

Page 82 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast