Page 48 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

About the recall. I had some trouble with the customer service people regarding it. I am a student and need this laptop so I was concerned about how long it would take. After a couple weeks of getting nowhere with the indian "support" staff, I called the corporate headquarters in California. I ended up talking with one of the people at the repair center about this recall. Apparently the insulation on the microphone wire gets worn through, causing the microphone to stop working. If you look at the images in this thread of the 3810t taken apart, you can see the issue is likely that the microphone cable is draped over the sharp edges of the HD enclosure. I can't say with 100% certainty because I haven't had it replaced yet, but my guess is that they move the wire so that it is not on that sharp edge. I wish they would just send me the dang wire so i can do it myself.
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy the saint View Post
    About the recall. I had some trouble with the customer service people regarding it. I am a student and need this laptop so I was concerned about how long it would take. After a couple weeks of getting nowhere with the indian "support" staff, I called the corporate headquarters in California. I ended up talking with one of the people at the repair center about this recall. Apparently the insulation on the microphone wire gets worn through, causing the microphone to stop working. If you look at the images in this thread of the 3810t taken apart, you can see the issue is likely that the microphone cable is draped over the sharp edges of the HD enclosure. I can't say with 100% certainty because I haven't had it replaced yet, but my guess is that they move the wire so that it is not on that sharp edge. I wish they would just send me the dang wire so i can do it myself.
    Thanks for the answer. Now, how bad do you (or anybody else) think this issue is? Seemingly you haven't yet sent it because you really need your laptop, and I'm in the same situation. I just wonder how bad this really is. Since I don't intend to "apply extreme pressure to the lower left palmrest" or whatever the recall said, I wonder how big a risk I'm taking by not sending it back...

Beans

They said it is optional. I think losing the microphone is the worst that is likely to happen, though I don't like the idea of freyed wires in my system causing havoc. I am going to send it in for repair in December between semesters.
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

About the jumpy touchpad issue on an earlier page:

do those who experience the jumpy cursor still have their Recovery partitions on their drives?

The reason I ask is when I removed mine last night (after a successful win7 install I figured I don't need it anymore now that I have CDs!) my cursor went all funny on Ubuntu. As well as on every live CD I tried. The moment I used Gparted to copy the partition back and rebooted, it started to work again.

Recommend to all to make backup of said partition before deleting - best was is to use the copy function in Gparted

EDIT: those having trouble with their jumpy cursors, please PM me your e-mail addresses. I don't want to further dilute this thread, but I have managed to fix a broken PQSERVICE earlier so I think I know how to fix the touchpad even if the partition had been deleted. I need someone to go through the instructions with me though so that I'm sure it works before I can post a definitive howto.
    Last edited by citizenofnowhere; November 8th, 2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: additional info gathered
    Don't blame me, it's an IE problem.

Beans

damn its very disappointing that i cannot change my backlight ): i almost tried everything..but still its not changing. my fn keys work i see the display but theres no effect to my brightness. even if i change it manually by typing the value into the brightness file theres still no effect. I've got timeline 4810TG. used the lenovo hack to disable my ati graphix. using karmic full release 64bit (tried 32bit before but same problems). BIOS version 1.23
    and theres another problem. my fan is workin almost the whole time. not at full power but i can hear it and its bothersome. typing "sensors" tells me a temperature of about 40°C.
    Last edited by cnkk; November 8th, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cnkk View Post
    damn its very disappointing that i cannot change my backlight ): i almost tried everything..but still its not changing. my fn keys work i see the display but theres no effect to my brightness. even if i change it manually by typing the value into the brightness file theres still no effect. I've got timeline 4810TG. used the lenovo hack to disable my ati graphix. using karmic full release 64bit (tried 32bit before but same problems). BIOS version 1.23
    and theres another problem. my fan is workin almost the whole time. not at full power but i can hear it and its bothersome. typing "sensors" tells me a temperature of about 40°C.
    I'd ask if there are any options to change it for a different model or if you can get a refund. The 4810TG seems most bugged of all the timelines (in ubuntu/linux at least). If you can change it for a different model, consider getting one without the ATI graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenofnowhere View Post
    About the jumpy touchpad issue on an earlier page:

do those who experience the jumpy cursor still have their Recovery partitions on their drives?

The reason I ask is when I removed mine last night (after a successful win7 install I figured I don't need it anymore now that I have CDs!) my cursor went all funny on Ubuntu. As well as on every live CD I tried. The moment I used Gparted to copy the partition back and rebooted, it started to work again.

Recommend to all to make backup of said partition before deleting - best was is to use the copy function in Gparted

EDIT: those having trouble with their jumpy cursors, please PM me your e-mail addresses. I don't want to further dilute this thread, but I have managed to fix a broken PQSERVICE earlier so I think I know how to fix the touchpad even if the partition had been deleted. I need someone to go through the instructions with me though so that I'm sure it works before I can post a definitive howto.
    I wrecked the restore partition the 3rd day I had my 3810T
    I don't understand how a partition you don't use can influence your tochpad. Regardless, I use the red lines in my /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi file below to stabilize my touchpad.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <!-- external mouse
      <device>
        <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.mouse">
           <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">mouse</merge>
          <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.kernel.name" string="Linux">
            <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evdev</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.Emulate3Buttons" type="string">false</merge>
            <merge key="input.x11_options.ButtonMapping" type="string">2 1 3</merge>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    -->
      <device>
        <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
          <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
    <!-- 
      DON'T USE SHMConfig (unless you must, for example to run 'synclient -m 10'), obsolete (karmic and later at least) and a security risk
          <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">On</merge> -->
    <!-- 
      The following is an example of swapping buttons on the Synaptics TouchPad
      that DOESN'T WORK anymore. See the end of 'man synaptics'
          <merge key="input.x11_options.Buttons" type="string">3</merge>
          <merge key="input.x11_options.ButtonMapping" type="string">2 1 3</merge>
    -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">2</merge>              <!-- set tap-click to middle mouse button, run 'xinput set-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" 2 1 3' to swap buttons 1 and 2. This gives you middle click on the left button and left click on tap. -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">0</merge>              <!-- disable 2 finger tap-click, 2 finger tap-click to menu = 3 -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">0</merge>              <!-- disable 3 finger tap-click -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.RBCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>          <!-- disable tap-right-bottom-corner button (is on by default on my machine) -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">0</merge>          <!-- disable edge scrolling -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateMidButtonTime" type="string">0</merge>    <!-- effectivelly disable middle button emmulation -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" type="string">4</merge>    <!-- set 2 finger emulation presure -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinW" type="string">7</merge>    <!-- set 2 finger emulation pinch width -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>     <!-- enable 2 finger scrolling -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.JumpyCursorThreshold" type="string">150</merge>  <!-- stabilize 2 finger tapping and 2 finger scrolling -->
          <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxDoubleTapTime" type="string">50</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    Some notes:
    • Merges are only applied for the devices where the green line is true.
    • Stuff between <!-- and --> are notes (like after a # in other types of files).
    • /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi or /etc/hal/fdi/policy/any.other.name.fdi will all work. All the .fdi files are run regardless of their name. You can merge all the .fdi files into 1 or split them for different devices.
    • I don't have or use /etc/X11/xorg.conf anymore.
    Last edited by miegiel; November 8th, 2009 at 03:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    I'd ask if there are any options to change it for a different model or if you can get a refund. The 4810TG seems most bugged of all the timelines (in ubuntu/linux at least). If you can change it for a different model, consider getting one without the ATI graphics.
    no :/
    my old asus' motherboard burned up and as a refund they gave me 600euro to buy a new in the same store..well i put some money to it and i bought the timeline..it was the best choice there. but i didn know that theres so less compability with ubuntu :/ so I've to deal with that or try to solve the problems somehow..
    in windows i can reach a batterie life of bout 7h..in ubuntu i reach with disabled ati card (lenovo hack) and powertop mode bout 5h.. but it would be nice if i could adjust my brightness to the lowest level :/
    sure that nobody can help me out of that pity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cnkk View Post
    no :/
    my old asus' motherboard burned up and as a refund they gave me 600euro to buy a new in the same store..well i put some money to it and i bought the timeline..it was the best choice there. but i didn know that theres so less compability with ubuntu :/ so I've to deal with that or try to solve the problems somehow..
    in windows i can reach a batterie life of bout 7h..in ubuntu i reach with disabled ati card (lenovo hack) and powertop mode bout 5h.. but it would be nice if i could adjust my brightness to the lowest level :/
    sure that nobody can help me out of that pity?
    What exactly have you tried so far?

Beans

smartdimmer..
    xbacklight -set ..
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767374 (this i tried)
    editing the brightness file in /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness (i cannot change it manually. it doesnt accept the change) but i noticed that i can change this value by using the fn keys.. (which has no effect to my brightness)
    well and some more but forget the commands :S

I also cannot use my cdrom :/ i wrote the following in my fstab but its still not working..:
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd2 /media/cdrom2 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd3 /media/cdrom3 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

no mounting point of the above ones exists :/ what am i doin wrong?
    Last edited by cnkk; November 9th, 2009 at 12:50 PM.

Beans

Did you make any progress regarding the fan noise? I got a 3810TG and the fan is running all of the time and it's driving me mad. It's much more quiet, acceptable quiet, when running on batteries, but with the AC plugged in it's unbearably noisy. This is with a 1.14 BIOS and ATI proprietary drivers. But at least on Windows whether ATI or Intel card doesn't matter for the fan at all. The cpu termperature is always below 40 degrees celcius, the power consumption is between 12 and 15 Watts.

Page 48 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast