Page 47 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

FINALLY!

There is no need to add libata.force=noncq to kernel command line for normal booting with AHCI mode!

It seems to be the latest linux 2.6.32-rc6 kernel supports NCQ mode for Acer 3810T (it's all about Hitachi HDD)!
    Also my booting speed is 32 second now after 40 seconds on 2.6.31 kernel.

I also hope that enabling NCQ feature now will increase battery life on 3810T (now it's only 4,5 hours for me versus 7(!) on Windows 7)

P.S. you can find .deb packages of the latest kernel here

Good luck

Beans

I bought my 3810T just when Karmic Beta was released and never needed to add libata.force=noncq. It's always booted just fine with AHCI.

The only problems I've encountered have been the mic problem which was solved and the suspend/resume issue. I'm looking forward to that one getting fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by almozavr View Post
    FINALLY!

There is no need to add libata.force=noncq to kernel command line for normal booting with AHCI mode!

It seems to be the latest linux 2.6.32-rc6 kernel supports NCQ mode for Acer 3810T (it's all about Hitachi HDD)!
    Also my booting speed is 32 second now after 40 seconds on 2.6.31 kernel.

I also hope that enabling NCQ feature now will increase battery life on 3810T (now it's only 4,5 hours for me versus 7(!) on Windows 7)

P.S. you can find .deb packages of the latest kernel here

Good luck

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by almozavr View Post
    WTF? Link leads to Alsa Update Script forum page!!! Read carefully
    Now that i see, i replied to miegel's post, not your post.

SO, since I'm unable to put my mic to work, go write a decent tutorial or GTFO of my face.
    Last edited by pfem; November 5th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Beans

My touchpad goes absolutely bonkers all the time. I have to be extremely careful because if a second finger gets within a quarter inch of the touchpad, the cursor jumps all over the screen clicking everywhere, highlighting text, selecting items and causing general havoc.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

Thanks

JTS
    Forum Do's and Don'ts -- Please familiarize yourself with these!!
    Do not give login-as-root instructions. Here is the policy
    This Ubuntu better not be dacaf!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy the saint View Post
    My touchpad goes absolutely bonkers all the time.
    Yeah, the same for me...

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyone know how to get brightness working on 4810T with Karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by deconstructingme View Post
    I bought my 3810T just when Karmic Beta was released and never needed to add libata.force=noncq. It's always booted just fine with AHCI.
    And I bought my 3810T before Karmic Beta. I've run Jaunty on it for months and never had to do anything about AHCI. It just booted fine on the first try and every time thereafter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy the saint View Post
    My touchpad goes absolutely bonkers all the time. I have to be extremely careful because if a second finger gets within a quarter inch of the touchpad, the cursor jumps all over the screen clicking everywhere, highlighting text, selecting items and causing general havoc.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?
    There's a few things that might be going on here. Firstly, are you running 9.10 or 9.04? 9.10 has a much newer touchpad driver.

Secondly, there is now in Karmic a touchpad tweak you can try that is supposed to prevent cursor jumpiness. It's called JumpyCursorThreshold (there's a lot of howtos out there on getting this to work).

All that being said, this is my personal experience: I had a beautifully working touchpad until my 3810 went to the service centre for the recall. WHen it came back they had swapped some touchpad cable that caused it to start jumping around like mad and it was almost unuseable.

NOTE: I was however able to reproduce the same behavior on Vista which convinced them to swap it again and now it's working fine.

Conclusion: if you don't have issues on Vista, try some workarounds like the Synaptics option I posted above. If you get stuck I can of course give you a copy of my options file I just don't have it on hand. If you do have issues on Vista as well - get them to swap it for you!

Mine was crazy around the edges particularly, that's a good place to test.
    Don't blame me, it's an IE problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by citizenofnowhere View Post

All that being said, this is my personal experience: I had a beautifully working touchpad until my 3810 went to the service centre for the recall. WHen it came back they had swapped some touchpad cable that caused it to start jumping around like mad and it was almost unuseable.

About the recall, I'm wondering what people's experience has been. I was about to try to contact Acer to get mine fixed, but (apart from the fact that their webpage didn't let me request it) I read about people having huge issues with the Acer support (not really surprising), with their laptops taking a long time to come back, a coming back with scratches and things not working.

On the other hand, I just don't know if it's worth it. Is it really a big issue? Would you recommend getting this mysterious mic cable fixed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by muadnu View Post
    On the other hand, I just don't know if it's worth it. Is it really a big issue? Would you recommend getting this mysterious mic cable fixed?
    Hi muadnu!

I think experiences vary country by country. I know on some countries Acer outsorces their service centers, so I would expect that to be less than an ideal situation. In Singapore where I got my 3810 though, Acer's been pretty great. They picked it up from me, and had it back within 3 working days (granted I think I was one of the first to send it in). They've also do some on the spot repairs here (fixed my touchpad cable in like 3 hours) and have done a motherboard replacement within 3 working days before too.

Mileage may vary though
    Don't blame me, it's an IE problem.

Page 47 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast