Page 17 of 100 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Sorry if this was already answered in the thread, but I couldn't find it.

I have a 3810T and cannot get the ethernet to work. With the 2.28 kernel I tried the trick suggested in the first post, but didn't work. After installing the generic 2.30 kernel, I tried again, but now I can't even build the driver:
    Code:
    $ make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30-020630-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/dani/Download/src modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic'
      CC [M]  /home/dani/Download/src/at_common_main.o
      CC [M]  /home/dani/Download/src/atl1e_main.o
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1e_main.c: In function ‘atl1e_request_irq’:
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1e_main.c:156: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
      CC [M]  /home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.o
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.c: In function ‘atl1c_intr’:
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.c:1640: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.c:1654: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.c:1678: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.c:1708: warning: ‘return’ with a value, in function returning void
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.c: In function ‘atl1c_request_irq’:
    /home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.c:2350: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    make[2]: *** [/home/dani/Download/src/atl1c_main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/dani/Download/src] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    I'm not really sure what's going on...

Beans

With 2.6.30, you shouldn't need to build your own driver. The kernel includes it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    With 2.6.30, you shouldn't need to build your own driver. The kernel includes it.
    That's what I thought. but it didn't work... Maybe I need to remove the driver I built with 2.6.28? In which case, how should I do that?

Beans
    Hidden!

All-righty people I read the whole thread and didn't see answers to these questions so if someone could point me in the right direction I'd very much appreciate it.

1. The microphone doesn't pick up sound. I've tried both 2.6.28 and 2.6.30 and made sure everything was turned up in alsamixer and the gnome mixer (on all reported devices, theres a couple in the drop-down list). is there something else i can check?
    2. the ethernet does not seem to work in 2.6.30 x86_64. and I could not build the driver from source against that version. I could however build it for the 2.6.28 kernel.
    3. The reported amount of ram in the System Monitor applet is 3.7 gigs. which is somewhat sort of the 4 gigs I have installed.
    4. And the last thing which kinda comes and goes is that the gnome battery panel app thingy and powertop both seem to be unable to read the battery state until I unplug the power cord. this seems to "enable" it for the lack of a better description.

The full model name is 3810t-6415

And here's my uname -a in case its useful
    Code:
    Linux Ygdrasil 2.6.28-14-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Sat Jul 25 01:19:55 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Last edited by serinox; July 30th, 2009 at 01:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by serinox View Post
    All-righty people I read the whole thread and didn't see answers to these questions so if someone could point me in the right direction I'd very much appreciate it.

1. The microphone doesn't pick up sound. I've tried both 2.6.28 and 2.6.30 and made sure everything was turned up in alsamixer and the gnome mixer (on all reported devices, theres a couple in the drop-down list). is there something else i can check?
    2. the ethernet does not seem to work in 2.6.30 x86_64. and I could not build the driver from source against that version. I could however build it for the 2.6.28 kernel.
    3. The reported amount of ram in the System Monitor applet is 3.7 gigs. which is somewhat sort of the 4 gigs I have installed.
    4. And the last thing which kinda comes and goes is that the gnome battery panel app thingy and powertop both seem to be unable to read the battery state until I unplug the power cord. this seems to "enable" it for the lack of a better description.
    1. Check the volume control and make sure the right mic is selected (you have 2 mic inputs, 1 above the screen and a 2nd you can plug in).
    2. I didn't bother with jaunty and went straight for karmic LAN works fine there.
    3. Your onboard intel graphics is stealing some of your system memory because it's got no memory of it's own.
    4. Seems to have issues in keramic too, but I didn't give it much attention yet. The icon says 0.0%, but if I click it I get the correct charge in the info window.

Regarding the battery tray icon: It seems dysfunctional when I boot up with the power connected. When I boot on battery power it seems to work as it should.
    Last edited by miegiel; July 30th, 2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: more on point 4

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xir_ View Post
    anyone know why the 4810t has a BIOS revision number 1.20 and the 3810t has a revision of 1.10.

anyone know if is there any key difference between the two?
    Maybe you can find some inspiration in the BIOS release notes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    1. Check the volume control and make sure the right mic is selected (you have 2 mic inputs, 1 above the screen and a 2nd you can plug in).
    2. I didn't bother with jaunty and went straight for karmic LAN works fine there.
    3. Your onboard intel graphics is stealing some of your system memory because it's got no memory of it's own.
    4. Seems to have issues in keramic too, but I didn't give it much atention yet. The icon says 0.0%, but if I klick it I get the correct charge in the info window.
    I'm testing it in audacity, I have all the microphones as high as they'll go in the gnome monitor and I still get nothing in audacity no matter what I set the input source to be.

I just installed 2.6.30 on jaunty. where can I can the karmic alpha/beta?

300-400 mb seems like a heck of a lot of ram for an on-board card to be using. any place to see how much memory its keeping for itself.

and the battery icon thing seems to be more complicated than I though. if i run the battery down a bit the battery app works UNTIL the battery is fully charged then the light on the from turns blue and at that moment it stops being able to talk to the batter. maybe its some sorta hardware function to prevent overcharging the battery?

EDIT: I've watched it do this "light turns blue/applet stops working" thing several times now and it happens every time so far.
    Last edited by serinox; July 30th, 2009 at 02:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by serinox View Post

I just installed 2.6.30 on jaunty. where can I can the karmic alpha/beta?

About 9.10
    http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha3

get 9.10
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/alpha-3/

KarmicReleaseSchedule
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule

ps Karmic still has bugs that might put you off more then the issues you have with jaunty and the new grub can kill your older ubuntu if you decide to dual boot. I suggest you read the "about" info and the karmic threads before you try it
    Last edited by miegiel; July 30th, 2009 at 02:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    About 9.10
    http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha3

get 9.10
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/alpha-3/

KarmicReleaseSchedule
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule

ps Karmic still has bugs that might put you off more then the issues you have with jaunty and the new grub can kill your older ubuntu if you decide to dual boot. I suggest you read the "about" info and the karmic threads before you try it

Thanks for the warnings. From a first glance it looks like karmic is a no go due to dual booting issues with vista ( i need vista for school )

Beans

Just do a "sudo update-grub2" after installation. It will make your Vista appear again.

Page 17 of 100 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast