Page 13 of 100 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Hello

I have an Acer Timeline 3810T laptop (Intel Core 2 Solo, Intel GMaA 4500MHD, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD) and I installed Ubuntu 9.04.

Everything works ok. The only thing is that it gets a lot hotter than when running Windows on it, and the coolers work almost all the time. I think this is because it runs at full power all the time.

Is there something in Gnome like the Power Plan selector from Windows? That would allow me to select profiles like "power saver", "balanced" etc? Profiles that would make changes to the CPU Frequency, HDD park etc not only to screen brightness or sleep interval. I think that KDE has something like Power Profile or something like that).

Thank you
    I am a beginner in Linux so please bare with me.
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This looks like an issue with the cpu frequency. Some people suggested updating the BIOS as a solution...

Quote Originally Posted by raduvaleriu View Post
    Hello

I have an Acer Timeline 3810T laptop (Intel Core 2 Solo, Intel GMaA 4500MHD, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD) and I installed Ubuntu 9.04.

Everything works ok. The only thing is that it gets a lot hotter than when running Windows on it, and the coolers work almost all the time. I think this is because it runs at full power all the time.

Is there something in Gnome like the Power Plan selector from Windows? That would allow me to select profiles like "power saver", "balanced" etc? Profiles that would make changes to the CPU Frequency, HDD park etc not only to screen brightness or sleep interval. I think that KDE has something like Power Profile or something like that).

Thank you
    Thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raduvaleriu View Post
    Hello

Thank you
    Thank you
    Install the CPU Frequency Governor (or something to that effect) taskbar applet. You'll get a few options to choose from (powersave, performance, conservative, ondemand) for CPU dynamic clock changing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Installed 9.10 Netbook Remix with linux kernel 2.6.31 BUT still can't load with AHCI hdd mode.

So, does anyone know issue? Suggestion with new kernel installation isn't working as you see...

Beans

Has anyone tried a different harddrive to eliminate the problem?

I can confirm that the Intel SSD version does NOT have this problem (I can use AHCI without any kernel parameters).

Beans
    Distro

Using another type of hdd is NOT the solution!

So WHAT is the solution for AHCI problem?

Beans

It's not the solution, but can aid us in coming up with a solution. The first step of coming up with a solution is to find where the problem is.

If you are too lazy to find (or helping to find) a solution and just want other people to do it for you, the answer is THERE IS NO SOLUTION RIGHT NOW.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by almozavr View Post
    Installed 9.10 Netbook Remix with linux kernel 2.6.31 BUT still can't load with AHCI hdd mode.

So, does anyone know issue? Suggestion with new kernel installation isn't working as you see...
    Using another type of hdd is NOT the solution!

So WHAT is the solution for AHCI problem?
    Try kernel 2.6.30 instead of kernel 2.6.31, some people said their AHCI issues went away using that kernel.

Can you list the brand, model and size of the disks you tried, different timelines have different disks you know and it's impossible to know what other disk(s) you tried.
    Last edited by miegiel; July 23rd, 2009 at 01:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Surely, I'll try 2.6.30! Hope this would help.

My 3810T uses Hitachi hdd, works fine. But, are you sure that AHCI is hdd function? I thought it's from chipset...

Anyway thanks for help, now it's time to try

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Surely, I'll try 2.6.30! Hope this would help.

My 3810T uses Hitachi hdd, works fine. But, are you sure that AHCI is hdd function? I thought it's from chipset...

Anyway thanks for help, now it's time to try
    Sure, it's on the chipset too. Like sata is on the chipset and the hdd

Page 13 of 100 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast