Page 10 of 100 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 991

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    19

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    I have a 4810, and during boot it is strange for me after grub started and I can see the loading... screen, but I need to wait about 10 seconds to get the splash screen of boot.
    Does anybody have an idea what happens in the background or how to check it? On my desktop I almost get immediatelly the splash screen after grub.

    Anyway my laptop is a dualcore (SU9400) with an ATI card.
    If I uses the integrated card, then the laptop is quite warm, and estimated 3 hours in battery mode.
    I changed to use ATI in powersave mode, and with some powermod suggestion currently about 6 hours is the estimated time.
    The powertop says about 12W.
    I tried to upgrade to kernel 2.6.30, but in tht case I cannot uses the ATI card, and I do not want to install it manually.
    The brightness control works, but do not display the popup during when I change the brightness.
    Audio is ok, but I still have problem with microphone, skype does not like it.
    The built in webcam and wifi work out of the box.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Beans
    10
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by csipuka View Post
    I have a 4810, and during boot it is strange for me after grub started and I can see the loading... screen, but I need to wait about 10 seconds to get

    I have the same issue too, I'll find it out when I have time.

    One more useful advice:
    Be sure to add the CPU Frequency Scaling monitor applet. It works on 2.6.30. You will be able to set your CPU Frequency from 1.4ghz, 1.2ghz, and 800mhz or on-demand. Good stuff!

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    355

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by alvinator@ View Post
    I have the same issue too, I'll find it out when I have time.

    One more useful advice:
    Be sure to add the CPU Frequency Scaling monitor applet. It works on 2.6.30. You will be able to set your CPU Frequency from 1.4ghz, 1.2ghz, and 800mhz or on-demand. Good stuff!
    Hi. You may want to install bootchart which will show you how long each "thing" is taking during the boot stage. If you would lik, to see what is happening as it's happening, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add change the boot line from 'splash' to 'nosplash' and restart.

    Cheers.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    UbuntuSecurity
    Blawg
    Questions pertaining to "stealthed" ports kind of make me LOL IRL

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    1

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    I'm getting random segfaults and I can't live with that. It's probably related to the kernel driver but I can't really live with something like that so I'm going to return my laptop, it's an Acer Timeline 3810T, testing Ubuntu 9.04 64 bits. Otherwise the laptop is cool, but I with kwin compositing some things work quite good (kwin animations) and others are a bit laggy (ktabwidget switching). Also, the Core 2 solo is not very fast specially if you plan to do compiling on it.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    355

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by soyEdulix View Post
    I'm getting random segfaults and I can't live with that. It's probably related to the kernel driver but I can't really live with something like that so I'm going to return my laptop, it's an Acer Timeline 3810T, testing Ubuntu 9.04 64 bits. Otherwise the laptop is cool, but I with kwin compositing some things work quite good (kwin animations) and others are a bit laggy (ktabwidget switching). Also, the Core 2 solo is not very fast specially if you plan to do compiling on it.
    When I see random segfaults the first thing that comes to mind is that it might be RAM. Not that you should just buy new RAM for a brand new machine, just saying...
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    UbuntuSecurity
    Blawg
    Questions pertaining to "stealthed" ports kind of make me LOL IRL

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    2

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    hi, I'm a chinese guy using 4810T with ubuntu 9.04 for several days.
    About brightness, I tried the ways of editing /etc/default/acpi-support, /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf files for LCD brightness control, but it doesn't work.

    After doing some seaches on google, I got this method now well working for me

    first :

    Code:
    $ xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    if you don't have xbacklight, just:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbacklight
    then

    Code:
    xbacklight -set 60
    now change the value you want, and enjoy!
    Can define some hot-key in Compiz and bind them with custom sh files in ~/bin.

    I have my quetions about multi-touch and power_saving, If you have any good suggestion on them, please tell me.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Beans
    10
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by gotosk View Post
    hi, I'm a chinese guy using 4810T with ubuntu 9.04 for several days.
    About brightness, I tried the ways of editing /etc/default/acpi-support, /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf files for LCD brightness control, but it doesn't work.

    After doing some seaches on google, I got this method now well working for me

    first :

    Code:
    $ xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    if you don't have xbacklight, just:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xbacklight
    then

    Code:
    xbacklight -set 60
    now change the value you want, and enjoy!
    Can define some hot-key in Compiz and bind them with custom sh files in ~/bin.

    I have my quetions about multi-touch and power_saving, If you have any good suggestion on them, please tell me.
    Updating your kernel to 2.6.30 will solve most of the problems. Read about it on the last page. You can further enhance your battery life by using the CPU scaling applet. I operate mine most of the time @ 800mhz.

    I upgraded my BIOS to 1.20. I recently experienced my CPU uncontrollably running 100% after I woke it up while downloading some stuff overnight. I'm not sure yet but it seems that 4810T BIOS 1.20 solved the problem.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    2

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    Quote Originally Posted by alvinator@ View Post
    Updating your kernel to 2.6.30 will solve most of the problems. Read about it on the last page. You can further enhance your battery life by using the CPU scaling applet. I operate mine most of the time @ 800mhz.

    I upgraded my BIOS to 1.20. I recently experienced my CPU uncontrollably running 100% after I woke it up while downloading some stuff overnight. I'm not sure yet but it seems that 4810T BIOS 1.20 solved the problem.
    Thank you for your advice. I just took linux distro as my desktop recently, and Ubuntu is the second linux distro that I tried, the first is Fedora.

    How can I update my BIOS under Ubuntu? BIOS file on Acer website are executable file for Windows. For updating, I think I should run into DOS first, and use a usb stick, run flash.bat. Oops,It's a lot work to do... -_-

    I never update kernel before. It's the last choice for me to solve problems. Maybe someday ubuntu do kernel updating, I can wait.

    Choose "powersave" mode in CPU scaling applet, now CPU works at 800MHz.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    236

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    I'm considering buying a 3810T, and there's one thing I'm not sure about from all the posts (maybe it's there and I missed it). How does the touchpad work? Do the multitouch functions work? In particular, is there any way to get vertical scrolling working?

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    355

    Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

    My Setup experiences with the Timeline AS4810TZ-4696 SU2700.

    **If you see a reference to overview, please refer to the relevant section(s) at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=86**

    The installation
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
    The installation took a bit to get right. Others have reported that the install went fine. The below is based on my attempts, ymmv.

    GUI installer
    When I used the GUI installer(not from the LiveCD environment) the CD-ROM continually came umounted during the install making it rather difficult. Despite multiple attempts, the GUI installer would fail miserably and never fully complete. Also had lots of I/O errors on sr0 not related to the disk, possible to the unmounting. When I actually did manage to make it to the formatting part, it would eventually fail with lots of squashfs errors.

    Alternate isntallation media
    This worked fairly well but for some reason left the pointer/touchpad very unfunctional resulting in the pointer jumping around like complete madness - no workaround, required a reinstall

    LiveCD environment
    Worked perfectly. Boot into the live environment then click the desktop icon to install to disk. This corrected the touchpad issues and I have had no problems with erratic pointer behavior since.

    Components
    Wireless - works out of the box
    Web cam - works out of the box
    Sound - works out of the box
    Suspend - does not work, see kernel upgrade at overview (you will need to rebuild alsa after this, also covered in the overview.
    NIC - does not work out of the box, see overview

    Despite some hiccups in getting started, the thing now works perfectly fine, sound keys, function keys, screen brightness changes, etc.

    Not much else to say, it's up and working 100%, I love this little machine for the price and if anyone finds this thread and is wondering if they should buy one, I would say absolutely!
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    UbuntuSecurity
    Blawg
    Questions pertaining to "stealthed" ports kind of make me LOL IRL

Page 10 of 100 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •