Page 12 of 100 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Quote Originally Posted by KariV View Post
    I am running Ubuntu 9.04 64bit version (dual-boot with Vista) on 3810t Core 2 Solo with BIOS 1.08 and the main problem remaining is the shutdown when trying to resume from suspend (hibernation works). I had to use the kernel option libata.force=noncq to be able to boot to the Linux. KVM also complains during the boot that support for it is disable from BIOS. Battery life in Ubuntu under light load with everything in powersave mode was ~6.5 hours and in Vista 32bit >8 hours. I got everything else working in Jaunty with a little tweaking and in Vista everything works out of the box.

The resume from suspend not working is very annoying because the wakeup from hibernation takes much longer. Hopefully we can find the solution to it soon. Apart from that I am a happy owner.

Kari
    Using 9.10 (32-bit) I don't need to add any special boot parameters (and AHCI works out of box, for both installation and running)

As for battery life, have you tried powertop? It tells you your current power consumption. I was able to get it down to about 9W, with wifi on and LCD at 30% brightness. Powertop estimates a battery life of 7.5 hours. wifi power saving mode matters (saves about 2W) -
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 power on
    I haven't tried hibernation... but it could be a possible solution for me, since I have the Intel SSD version, and resume from hibernation should be fast (2GB/250MB/s = 8 seconds). That will have to do until a solution for resume from suspend is found. Hopefully a solution will be found by September, when I will be bringing this laptop to school...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    As for battery life, have you tried powertop? It tells you your current power consumption. I was able to get it down to about 9W, with wifi on and LCD at 30% brightness.
    Yep, I used powertop to enable the powersave mode for different components. I was able to get the power consumption down to <8W when I turned bluetooth off (Fn+F3) with wifi on. Screen brightness doesn't seem to affect the powertop number very much when using the dimmer modes. However, the power consumption goes up couple of Watts during normal web browsing.

Btw, is there a physical kill switch for wifi similar to bluetooth Fn+F3? Currently I have to use the network applet to switch it off.

Kari

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KariV View Post
    Yep, I used powertop to enable the powersave mode for different components. I was able to get the power consumption down to <8W when I turned bluetooth off (Fn+F3) with wifi on. Screen brightness doesn't seem to affect the powertop number very much when using the dimmer modes. However, the power consumption goes up couple of Watts during normal web browsing.

Btw, is there a physical kill switch for wifi similar to bluetooth Fn+F3? Currently I have to use the network applet to switch it off.

Kari
    Yes, the wifi indicator light is also a "touch switch". Took me quite a while to figure out (so is the battery leaf thing, for power saving mode, but it doesn't seem to affect Linux, so probably software based). I find changing screen brightness from 100% to 0% saves about 2.5W (but the backlight wobbles at 0%, and slightly at 20%).

I just tried out hibernation on my machine. Hibernate takes about 16 seconds, and wakeup about 8.

BTW, disabling compiz seems to help ever so slightly, too (~0.5W). EDIT: NOPE, not true, seems like the power consumption drops slightly when the system is left idle for a while. I was seeing that. Same power consumption with compiz on.
    Last edited by cyberfish; July 17th, 2009 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hi!
    here's my uname -a

Linux federacchia-mobile 2.6.30-020630-generic #020630 SMP Wed Jun 10 09:45:40 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

anyway: other "problems"...it seems that HDD spin too much...they goes warm after very little time!
    also with kernel 2.6.30 suspend doesn't work. I could not install new bios..i've completely removed windows from my hd!!
    nobody could develop a brand new kernel for this acer?? (my acer is 3810t with core 2 duo processor, but, in my opinion, the 4810t wouldn't be so different!)

question: is it possible to regulate with hdparm the rotation speed of HDD?? anyone knows?

thanks guys!!

Beans

Updating BIOS doesn't help with suspend. I have tried all their BIOSes. We don't even know what the problem is now.

As for HD, you can try to get it to spin down (try Google). It introduces a noticeable lag for spinning up, though. There's no way to set rotational speed.

Beans

Whats the verdict on the Timeline series for Linux compatibility? This long thread makes it seem like a crapshoot.

I'm interested in the upcoming 1810T, or possibly the 3810T if I find it for a good price, but I would like to use Ubuntu or Mint on it.

Beans

With 9.10 alpha 2, everything I have tested worked out of the box, except for waking up from suspend. It shuts down instead. There's no known fix for that at the moment.

For 9.04, you need to install the LAN driver manually, and some say the touchpad enable/disable button only work the first time (I can confirm it to be fixed in 9.10).

Also, battery life seems to be slightly less under Linux. ~8 hrs vs ~10 hrs, as reported by the OS anyways.

Beans

In single user (recovery) mode, I've tried unloading just about all modules (the sound modules can't be unloaded for some reason), and then suspend. Still doesn't work. I am out of things to try now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Bateluer: i've installed ubuntu 9.04 32 bit and everything was perfect. the only one things that don't work is the resume after suspend.

with ubuntu 9.04 64 bit something did not work correctly, after few minute after installation the system crashed! (i've tried to reinstall the OS many times before install the 32 bit version).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by federa View Post
    @Bateluer: i've installed ubuntu 9.04 32 bit and everything was perfect. the only one things that don't work is the resume after suspend.
    Which usually never works under Windows either. Thanks for ther response.

Page 12 of 100 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast