Thread: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error on VirtualBox. It freezes randomly and needs to reboot.

Beans

Unhappy MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error on VirtualBox. It freezes randomly and needs to reboot.

Hello!
    I cant understand why, but I have installed Ubuntu with VirtualBox and it freezes randomly.
    Then, the PC gives me a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error and I have to shutdown my computer, because it doesn't reboot.
    Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you (100% complete).
    If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    I have installed GuestAddition Tools, verilog, grive, chrome, nvidia drivers (I think)
    My specs are:

[MSI GP62 Leopard Pro]
    Intel Core i7-5700HQ CPU
    RAM 8GB DDR3 SODIMM (1x8GB)
    1TB (7200 rpm S-ATA)+ 128GB SSD (M.2 SATA)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX950M 2GB GDDR3
    Thank you for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error on VirtualBox. It freezes randomly and needs to reb

Seems to be an MSI problem which I found following a search, with this thread giving a possible solution.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2284315

I haven't read all the thread but it may of some help to you.
    Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error on VirtualBox. It freezes randomly and needs to reb

See also this.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    See also this.
    Yeeep, I think that worked for me. I will update if it fails again, but the installation was successful and no BSOD for the moment.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was annoyed with that, I needed to save my work every 2 minutes and I think that I finally can work with calm with Ubuntu.

This seems to be a problem with Intel i5-5675C, i7-5775C, and i7-5700HQprocessors. Some manufacturers have uploaded a BIOS update, so If you have this problem, check for BIOS updates first.
    To solve this problem I followed this instructions. Please, read carefully all of that.

Thank you all so much

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by javier47 View Post
    Yeeep, I think that worked for me. I will update if it fails again, but the installation was successful and no BSOD for the moment.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was annoyed with that, I needed to save my work every 2 minutes and I think that I finally can work with calm with Ubuntu.

This seems to be a problem with Intel i5-5675C, i7-5775C, and i7-5700HQprocessors. Some manufacturers have uploaded a BIOS update, so If you have this problem, check for BIOS updates first.
    To solve this problem I followed this instructions. Please, read carefully all of that.

Thank you all so much
    Hi Can you please explain hopw did you apply the patch i have same setup. cpu 5775 and running ubuntu14.04 in virtualbox.
    i am unable to apply this patch and i cannot see microcode in /proc/cpuinfo
    also is there a way to make it pesistant?
    thank you.