Thread: HP dv3z w/Jaunty: fan runs constantly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HP dv3z w/Jaunty: fan runs constantly

After half an hour of searching, I'm aware that this problem has cropped up for lots of people, on lots of systems. But I'm having trouble finding a solution I'm not afraid to try.

Brand new HP dv3z laptop, with a clean install of Jaunty (dualbooted with Vista on a partition), the fan starts running on powerup and stays that way. never turns off, even when the computer is idle and in a cool place. I understand that this is some kind of CPU scaling problem, but can you tell me how to regulate this?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HP dv3z w/Jaunty: fan runs constantly

I should add, the CPU frequency monitor is set to "OnDemand" and the CPU speeds are quite low. Is the fan set to always be on in the bios, perhaps? How do I get to this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One more update...I got into the BIOS and set FAN ALWAYS ON to DISABLED...but it's still running, even when the machine is idle! It does regulate its speed now, and runs fairly quietly when idle, but it is indeed always running. Any ideas?
    Last edited by inverseroom; May 19th, 2009 at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, well, it appears that the fan is basically always on in the Windows partition as well. Very irksome. Perhaps the dv3 is just a hot-running laptop? I can get used to this, but I don't especially like it. I'm still hoping that ultimately the computer does not need this much ventilation, and I can "solve" the "problem" with a fan control app. If anyone knows, please post.