Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu One

Beans

Ubuntu One

a bug report has been filed over ubuntu one and canonicals use of the ubuntu name for a proprietary product here

explanation of ubuntu one here
    Last edited by benj1; May 18th, 2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: changed wording, profit making --> proprietary
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: what does everyone think of this?

I don't have a problem with it, it's their name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by ad_267 View Post
    I don't have a problem with it, it's their name.
    I second that, its as much as I care about politics... all about attention. Though I understand where there might be a problem

Beans

I think it was a smart move to start using Debian.

Beans

Well it is Canonicals trademark but I don't think it's a wise thing to do.

It will upset the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

They can use the money they earn with One in Ubuntu development. Better charging for services like this than for the OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    They can use the money they earn with One in Ubuntu development. Better charging for services like this than for the OS.
    Please read the links, the problem isn't the ubuntu1 project, its that they are going back on their promises!

Beans

Ubuntu One is not consistent with the Ubuntu Philosophy wherein it is stated, "Our work is driven by a philosophy on software freedom that aims to spread and bring the benefits of software to all parts of the world."

It is disrespectful to Ubuntu's contributors for Canonical to appropriate the Ubuntu trademark for projects which are not supportive of the Ubuntu Philosophy.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans

Exclamation Re: what does everyone think of this?

The issue is not about cost! The issue is about the dilution of the meaning behind Ubuntu -- the Free/Libre OS ecosystem organized by Canonical but largely built on the foundation of Debian Linux and around the GPL and other free software licenses by countless developers and a committed community of users -- and also why the owners of Ubuntu feel increasingly compelled to keep their homegrown creations proprietary.

I would like to be explained in simple and understandable terms why the web back-end of Canonical's online service (aka Ubuntu One) must remain proprietary? What is the benefit for both Canonical and the Ubuntu community in making the back-end of the service closed source??

The whole philosophy of Free Software is about "standing on the shoulders of giants", i.e. building software that everyone can freely use and further improve according to licenses such as GPL.

Personally I'd love to subscribe to such an Open-Source service and by doing so help finance Ubuntu's (the open OS in this case) backers, but if Canonical is choosing the slippery slope of selectively sharing and denying the fruits of their development, that does cause me to at least re-evaluate my relationship with Canonical's Ubuntu.

And that's a shame (I am still open to listening to their reasoning though) since I am not a tin-foil purist, but I do understand the technical and ethical arguments in favour of openness.

What comes to the naming of Canonical's online service, of course it will be confusing when some products like Ubuntu Six-point-oh-four to Ubuntu Nine-point-ten etc. will supposedly be always Free, but Ubuntu One (and whatever Ubuntu-branded proprietary services might follow) is something different altogether.

The word and concept of UBUNTU will no longer mean "sharing, because it will be good for all of us" but "whatever enhances Canonical's ability to monetize the UBUNTU brand"??
    Last edited by misGnomer; May 14th, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I need to use EMPHASIS too

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm sorry I am confused, why are poeple upset? Canonical owns Ubuntu, Ubuntu one is initially free or for more space $10 a month, and what Canonical is doing is very similar to what Google is doing. The company needs revenue to keep supporting development and this is a great way.
    I know I will be using it, it will be great for traveling with my limited space netbook or keeping files availible when I'm not at my desk.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast