Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

Beans

Re: Cultural differences in Indian computer usage?

hahaha, reminded me of a little game i used to play. "right click and then click on refresh as fast as you can. and click on it at one go." stupid yea, but it was great practice for quake3

as for gnome, well it does have a clean up by name thing, that arranges the icons, nothing like refresh (clean up badly drawn windows) though. in case you need it, just drag a window all over the screen

@Viva
    I can only tell you one thing. DO NOT GENERALISE. period
    in college i always felt that some guys were there just to get the degree, they were not passionate about the subject itself. now does that allow me to comment on all the students in all the colleges? hell, my perception can be wrong, because that is after all MY perception. if you with "your own" experience with "some" people can extend it to everyone in a country, i can do the same and conclude that my perception presented above is applicable to you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by imbjr View Post
    Links:

An Indian(?) asks about why "we" use refresh alot:

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question...7070948AArbWg7

The inference that Indians do this a lot is weak from that page, but the following has a little more meat on it:

http://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/...e-refresh.html

Again, I did not use "ritual" or "religion" in my original posts - and again, a ritual is not necessary a religious one. I have rituals I go through in order to get up for work and go to bed at night.

I mentioned cultural traits because I am unaware of any other group of ppl who do that with their Windows installations. Therefore I suspect a regional or cultural behaviour is operating.

Interesting idea that refresh might be some sort of stress relief or idling time.
    Wow, those "IT Professionals" are so ignorant, lol. Mixing up all kinds of things that have nothing to do with manual desktop refreshing, like the frequency (refresh rate) of your monitor, roflmao. Not including forums and such (websites) where refreshing can be useful to check for new posts/articles when you stay on the site, there are only two/three situations where it is useful on an operating system.

PS: For those who don't know, on any DE, including GNOME, refresh is done with "F5". It is also like this on Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Added Refresh option in the menu :)

Hi,

I Just added Refresh option in nautilus menu .
    Now i've a ubuntu with refresh option I should inform Bharat Balegere (Blog writer from bangalore )

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Added Refresh option in the menu :)

Quote Originally Posted by zeex View Post
    Hi,

I Just added Refresh option in nautilus menu .
    Now i've a ubuntu with refresh option I should inform Bharat Balegere (Blog writer from bangalore )
    F5 on the desktop is definitely doing something, I notice.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am Indian, and no, I do not refresh the desktop. In fact, I don't even know anyone who does that.

Also, all the other points in the post are <insert an appropriate profane word of your choice>

People in India don't use Linux for the same reason that people anywhere else don't use it. They are comfortable with the alternatives (Windows) and couldn't care less about spending time to learn how to work with something else.
    IESVS FELLAT IN INFERNVM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    It's like a failsafe for Windows in case your desktop gets messed up. You ever close a browser window and have part of the window still cover the desktop because something got messed up and it didn't close properly? Or sometimes Explorer will crash (okay, a lot of the time...) and your entire desktop will be wiped of icons and Start menu for some unknown reason. Right click and refresh usually fixes both issues, I think it refreshes the Explorer thread or something. I don't know, it was one of the many headaches I had when using Microsoft products.
    I can understand what refresh desktop is for, I just can't understand why doing so 5-6 times after booting and before shutting down. It really doesn't make any sense.

And if there isn't any other reason to do so, complaining about refresh missing is really out of the blue. It is like saying:

- Hey!! where is the rat-poison??!!?? I can't see any rat-poisoooonnnn!!!!!
    - We do not have any rats sir, so no rat-poison.
    -No rats, so no rat-poison? sooooo uncoool
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

People in India do not use linux because a consistent part of the population works giving tech support to Windoze users.

Think about it: If everyone switched to Linux, the unemployment rate in India would soar exponentially.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by bruno9779 View Post
    People in India do not use linux because a consistent part of the population works giving tech support to Windoze users.

Think about it: If everyone switched to Linux, the unemployment rate in India would soar exponentially.
    Considering even 300,000 people are giving tech support to Windows users (I know for sure you are referring Dell tech. support); that makes .003% of population. Thats hardly 'consistent part of the population' !
    Reality is an illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol.

Beans

For Indians, from an American point of view:

I have never been to India.

In my entire life, as far as i can recall, I have never seen anyone right click -> refresh more than once.

given how many Indians are confirming this behavior, that would lead me to believe its an odd cultural quirk that is unusually common in India. i took the author of that blog calling it a 'ritual' to be a bit of a joke. making fun of himself.

but thats ok, i have my own useless computer quirk and ill go ahead and make fun of myself....

For everyone, from an American point of view:

do you highlight text as you read it? repeatedly? during the course of reading one paragraph, i will highlight that paragraph or parts of it at least four times.

even when i am proofreading my own post, right now, i am highlighting the text.

this has bitten me in the behind before, since most linux DEs have the highlight -> middle mouse click to copy -> paste. you can use your imagination, i am sure, and picture the misplaced snips of IM conversations and subsequent embarrassment...

it really bothers me when web pages are set up so that i can't highlight.

i know it makes absolutely no sense, but i do it anyways!

anyone else a chronic highlighter? where where you raised?
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bruno9779 View Post

If most Indians are comfortable using Windows, I very much doubt they need a lot of tech support. If anything, switching to Linux will probably help reduce India's rate of unemployment.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast