Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rebuttal of: Why Linux is not (yet) ready for the desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: rebuttal of: Why Linux is not (yet) ready for the desktop

I've been using Linux as my only operating system since 1996, why should I care about people telling me I have been wrong for almost 15 years?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by perce View Post
    I've been using Linux as my only operating system since 1996, why should I care about people telling me I have been wrong for almost 15 years?
    My brother delights in forwarding me links to news articles that predict doom and gloom for Linux adoption. I always tell him, "Yes, that's great. But why should I care? The number of Linux users has never dropped, and there are already enough of us to make sure it's a decent OS for me."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It takes a great deal of naivete to believe that marketshare is directly correlated to usability.

If that were really the case and if Linux were truly "not ready for the desktop," then Microsoft would have no problem with OEMs selling Linux preinstalled with "[Our company] recommends Linux for home computing" at the top of every page of the website, leaving potential Windows users with only the ability to buy a Windows license individually and install and configure Windows themselves. And neither Apple nor Microsoft would see a point in creating advertisements bashing each other.

We know this isn't the case, though. We know people use what's familiar to them, what they've been told "everyone else" is using, what they see in stores for sale, what they've seen advertised. That's even a big reason why many Windows users have stuck with XP instead of upgrading to Vista--the fear of change, the fear of the unknown, the comfort of the familiar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The default Sans font IS ugly without sub-pixel rendering. But then again most fonts look like crap without it. Just look at Verderna in IE6/7/8.

It would also be nice if a distro/DTE could at least have a nice, professional looking default theme. KDE4 pulls this off pretty well.
    One thing that has always bothered me slightly with linux icons is why things like my music dont have a default music icon? I know you can add one yourself if the icon set you have supports that, but even then GNOME wont show it in the tree view or the Places dropdown menu.
    Last edited by nolliecrooked; May 18th, 2009 at 08:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: rebuttal of: Why Linux is not (yet) ready for the desktop

Linux Operating system is not ready for a normal User

1. firstly a Linux System such as Ubuntu or another Linux OS is depended on Open source software that is the main issue here Which i believe, in my opinion this creates unstable software releases as developers get bored, fed up or simply move on. When i say unstable do not misunderstand i mean this, new software developments that are being released for the Linux communicability are sometimes are incomplete and not released in a good way. something like that.

2. is the normal user knowledge we can say that 90 % of the world have no experience with Linux operating system only that 10 % left presents the whole world wide users who are Linux experienced and have moved from Windows to Linux or started to use Linux directly. the issue here is also that most users are born into a windows operating system and will most probably stay their for whatever reason. i can name few such as windows provides much more open source projects and has a good installation environment, most users do not want for example " sudo apt-get install ffmpeg etc in the Terminal I'm sure most new users are not sure what and where the Terminal is. now on Windows this is completely different as a user just needs to download to desktop and double clicks, magically software package is installed." Linux can have the same thing if all software packages are released as debs. the other problem i believe creates much more issues are the Linux Users them self. they do not provide a easy way of understanding how a problem should be fixed, a good example could be found for the vlc which dims screen ! i have yet to follow a good tutorial which tells me how to fix this problem. some users post bad tutorials which can and possibly disable your screen or remove ubuntu-desktop altogether, which happens to me. all from some users on the forums. Linux does not have a wiki of fix this problem the Simple way ! you know with a screen dump step by step and explaining maybe other issue which could encounter during the fix.

3. have to say again that, there simply is to much Sudo commanding to get things running.

new users will most probably have problems with these soon as they installed a Linux system ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04 etc

flash player 10, video codecs, restricted drivers. etc and file permission most undoubtedly will be the main issue throughout their experience

4. the good thing about Linux, Ubuntu, its totally meant for a development and security usage.

for me i could say its kinda same as a graphical telnet problem in windows lolz

5. you can always teach a new user how things run in Linux. thats the last thing i wanted to say. I'm teaching my mother which uses ubuntu 8.10 on Eee PC. She knows pretty much what a normal user would want to do, Go visit you-tube, download clips. check email. connect laptop to HD TV through VGA, press super + 2 to zoom in-case something is blurry.

....good luck, but please remember to not use taskile command it removed my ubuntu-desktop trying to uninstall Lamp-server

thats my experience, don't forget i started to use Linux for the first time just few months ago, so far i have about 12 % complete understanding how to fully use the operating system.
    sudo -s

Beans

2012 edition anyone?

Why Linux is not (yet) Ready for the Desktop aka Linux problems, 2012 edition
    Ingo Molnar: What ails the Linux desktop? Part I
    Ingo Molnar: What ails the Linux desktop? Part II

What was the name of that GNOME co-founder (?) who said breaking backwards compatibility is the reason Linux has been unsuccessful on the desktop?

Yeah.. I think the OP rebuttal is a bit silly. "This atrocity of lies and half truths" - a bit of a cultish reaction. Furthermore, Artem is not an anti-FOSS troll, but a valuable asset to the Linux community and his observations should be seen as contributions and not bashing. He has been Linux-only since 1999, about the time I myself stopped using Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser
    I think we have reached a point where most users can comfortably listen to music, play videos, browse the web and so on (ordinary tasks). There is a group of people we will never be ready for for various reasons but I believe the majority of all people would be fine on a Linux desktop.
    And now in 2012 we have reached a point where a desktop is not even needed for these tasks and tablets and smartphones have taken over the market for consuming-oriented behavior. So it's time to concentrate on the people doing actual work with their computers.
    Fragmentation of systems and no backwards compatibility means companies don't want to invest in Linux versions of professional software. Open source equivalents of specific creative apps need to take their funding and marketing strategies to another level. Novacut video editor is a shining example (it's Linux-first, but many Mac users are desperately waiting for it).

Beans

Yawn. Embedded Linux and Linux-on-the-server are awesome. Come back to me when Linux is a drop-in replacement for Mac OS X or Windows desktops and then we'll talk.

Otherwise, and this is directed at the original discussion that the OP cited and not the OP himself, this is an old horse long since beaten to death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Old Thread.

Closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123