Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 suddenly won't boot

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 suddenly won't boot

Quote Originally Posted by Legace View Post
    I think these for network/wireless:
    - /etc/network/interfaces
    - /etc/resolv.conf
    - /bin/hostname
    So if I do a fresh install, I should be able to go in and just drop those files back in there and my wireless and wired network stuff will work again? Because it was a pain getting them to work. Neither did initially but I installed wicd and finally got the ethernet interface working. Then I went through this long process installing fwcutter to get the wireless card at least turning on. But it wouldn't work in wicd no matter what I tried so I reinstalled network-manager (whatever the original network package is) and everything started working. I'd really rather not deal with that again.
    Last edited by TitanTiger; May 18th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post
    So if I do a fresh install, I should be able to go in and just drop those files back in there and my wireless and wired network stuff will work again? Because it was a pain getting them to work. Neither did initially but I installed wicd and finally got the ethernet interface working. Then I went through this long process installing fwcutter to get the wireless card at least turning on. But it wouldn't work in wicd no matter what I tried so I reinstalled network-manager (whatever the original network package is) and everything started working. I'd really rather not deal with that again.
    I don't think so. I don't know what files you've edited..

Guess you'll have to do it all over again.. Good luck
    Intel E8500 - ASUS P5Q-E - 4GB RAM - ATi Radeon 4670 - Samsung SpinPoint F1 - Enermax Modu82+ 425W

Linux user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try going into grub, and select Ubuntu and press "e". Do the same with the first option that pops up. You'll see a line that's something like "ro quiet splash", change the "splash" to "nosplash" and press "b". This worked for me when I had the same problem in Intrepid. If that works, you can edit the grub file and you'll be able to boot normally, except you won't have a splash screen.

Edit: the file is /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Last edited by which ones pink; May 18th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by which ones pink View Post
    Try going into grub, and select Ubuntu and press "e". Do the same with the first option that pops up. You'll see a line that's something like "ro quiet splash", change the "splash" to "nosplash" and press "b". This worked for me when I had the same problem in Intrepid. If that works, you can edit the grub file and you'll be able to boot normally, except you won't have a splash screen.

Edit: the file is /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    Hmm. Doesn't seem to work. Just didn't give me the splash screen then boots to a blank screen.

Beans

One thing I saw when I tried it again was during the booting up there was one line in all that text that said "acer-wmi - no or unsupported WMI interface - unable to load."

What's that about?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

boot into live cd and click repair broken system

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philcamlin View Post
    boot into live cd and click repair broken system
    Where is that option?

Beans

BTW, the 9.04 live cd doesn't have the "repair broken system" option.

Beans

bump.

Since the 9.04 live CD doesn't have the repair broken system option, how would I run a command that does the same thing to that install after the live CD has booted up?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12