Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.04 - 2 Softresets failed, 1 modprobe FATAL: modules.dep no such file during boot

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

9.04 - 2 Softresets failed, 1 modprobe FATAL: modules.dep no such file during boot

during boot i get these errors

[1.572014] ata1: Softreset failed (device not ready)
    [2.792017] ata3: Softreset failed (device not ready)
    modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Then Ubuntu successfully boots, so i dont know. Im hoping it has something to do with my suspend feature acting weird. I can suspend successfully the first time, then when i resume theres a plug icon in my tray and im unable to suspend again, and if i click on the plug and click suspend it says suspend is forbidden for some reason. Another weird side effect is if i log out after a resume from suspend where this plug is in my tray the system freezes up and a box comes up and says failed to initialize HAL! Ubuntu 8.10 works fine but a fresh install of 9.04 doesnt. Any help would be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: 9.04 - 2 Softresets failed, 1 modprobe FATAL: modules.dep no such file during boo

Regarding the softreset errors, googling for "Softreset failed (device not ready)" returns quite a few discussions of the subject, including some references to ubuntuforums threads, so try working with these.
    Regarding the modprobe error, I ain't no kernel expert at all, but the man page for modules.dep, states that this file is generated by depmod (you'd probably need root privileges to run it). Is it that this file is missing from the stated directory, or the entire directory missing? You may wish to try running depmod and reboot, and see whether the message persists. I wonder how come this file is missing on a fresh install...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 9.04 - 2 Softresets failed, 1 modprobe FATAL: modules.dep no such file during boo

the file is actually there so im not sure why it says its missing, it says the fatal and then boots just fine so im not sure. ill check out depmod a little later today and get back to you i appreciate all the help! oh, just thought of something, could file permissions and directory permissions be messed up somehow or maybe depmod wasnt configured correctly for my comp? im not sure, havent done any rtfming quite yet, just speculation ill get to checking on things later today thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

im doing some research right now. noticed that 9.04 uses kernel 2.6.28-11 and 8.10 uses kernel 2.6.27-11, 8.10 works fine for me, 9.04 doesnt, could it be the kernel? is there a way to use the old kernel? is there any benefit to using the new version of ubuntu with an old kernel? i think using an old kernel with a new version of ubuntu kinda takes away from the fact that its a new version of ubuntu i think ill try filing a kernel bug report, possibly it would get this bug recognition and possibly solved? *Crosses fingers*

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Exclamation Re: 9.04 - 2 Softresets failed, 1 modprobe FATAL: modules.dep no such file during boo

GOT RID OF "modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep" error!!! (i will post how i did it and explanation below)
    i followed instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=148710&page=2 post #19 by El Marcel to unpack the initrd image file at /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic (initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic is specific to my filesystem, the equivalent for your system is the command
    Code:
    /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r`
    )
    `uname -r` spawns a subshell and runs the command
    Code:
    uname -r
    which returns the kernel version that you are working with, and replaces `uname -r` with the kernel version returned by the command
    ok, on to instructions! im gonna make em as easy to understand as i can because i had a ton of googling to do with this subject and it was murder piecing it all together! do the following code in any directory unless otherwise specified, also if you are denied access, try running the command with sudo (the copy commands need sudo):

Code:
    cp /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r`.bak
    This will make a backup of your initrd.img file in the same directory in case something goes wrong.
    Code:
    mv /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` /tmp/initrd.old.gz
    This will move your initrd image into /tmp/initrd.old.gz
    /tmp is a directory which is removed every log out or restart i believe. i restarted and my old files werent there anymore so this i assume
    initrd.img is a g zip archive of a cpio archive (i know what a g zip archive is but not a cpio archive)
    Code:
    gzip -dc /tmp/initrd.old.gz >/tmp/initrd.old.img
    this will unpack the initrd image so its just a cpio archive
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/initrd-image
    makes a directory under /tmp called initrd-image
    Code:
    cd /tmp/initrd-image
    change directory into the initrd-image directory inside /tmp
    Code:
    cpio -i < /tmp/initrd.old.img
    unpack the cpio archive into the initrd-image directory you should be in
    Code:
    cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep /tmp/initrd-image/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep
    this copies your existing modules.dep file that is in /lib/modules/`uname -r` into the image file you are about to repackage
    Code:
    find . | cpio -H newc -o > /tmp/initrd.new.img
    repackages the directories and files in the current directory you should be in (/tmp/initrd-image) into /tmp/initrd.new.img
    Code:
    gzip -c /tmp/initrd.new.img >/tmp/initrd.new.gz
    repackage the cpio archive as a g zip archive
    Code:
    cp /tmp/initrd.new.gz /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r`
    this will copy your new initrd image into the spot your old one used to be and the same directory the old one should be in
    11. Reboot, and hopefully the ugly error is gone, but if any errors occur and you cant boot, then pop in your ubuntu cd, boot into live cd mode and mount the filesystem so you can remove the /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` and remove the .bak extension from /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r`.bak and then reboot into your old initrd

unfortunately this doesnt fix the problem i was hoping it would, fixing my problem where i can suspend successfully once and then when i resume gnome-power-manager tells me that its "Unable to get data..." and i cant suspend again, but hey! i fixed one error progress not perfection. and i had fun nerding out and figuring it out anyways im linking to this on some other threads i ran across, proofreading and constructive feedback are welcome hopefully this helps another out in the future!

now... time to work on the softresets failed and my gnome-power-manager error... *runs to google*
    Last edited by khamil8686; May 22nd, 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This worked beautifully, thank you! One thing though,

mkdir initrd-image
    should read

mkdir /tmp/initrd-image
    right? And you have to sudo all the copy commands.
    Last edited by inverseroom; May 21st, 2009 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i changed it so it says /tmp/initrd-image instead of just mkdir initrd-image
    and added a comment to sudo the cp commands thank you

Beans

i just tried installing mint7 on to a usb drive. mint is a ubuntu based os. i get the same

mod probe: fatal: could not load/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep: no such file or directory

however, that is where my computer stops. it does not load, so i cant follow any of the steps suggested. any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm having this problem too, but heres the weird part: This error only occurs when I use the live CD. My system boots just fine from the HD. Just a few hours ago I was able to use the Live CD just fine, but all the sudden the CD stopped working and now all I get is this error. It's not due to a bad CD burn, because I'm using a USB thumb drive instead. And I've even re-created the USB drive twice, still no dice.

All though I did run lm-sensors in the time between having a working, functioning Live CD and it becoming broken. Is it possible that lm-sensor messed up my kernel modules and it is what is causing my Live CD to not work? If so why am I able to boot into regular ubuntu just fine?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thelowreysfour View Post
    i just tried installing mint7 on to a usb drive. mint is a ubuntu based os. i get the same

mod probe: fatal: could not load/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/modules.dep: no such file or directory

however, that is where my computer stops. it does not load, so i cant follow any of the steps suggested. any ideas?
    im no linux expert, but what id try is this,
    you would have to modify the commands a bit, but id boot off a live cd, mount your installed ubuntu and run the commands on the ubuntu filesystem, hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast