Thread: Netbook Remix IMG to ISO ??

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Netbook Remix IMG to ISO ??

I'll endure whatever your contemptuous flames, because I really just wish a solution. Please, detail how to go from IMG file to bootable DVD.

In experimentation, I've installed UNR onto a VM in VirtualBox, which runs sluggish on a 1.8GHz PC. I also installed UNR from standard Jaunty repositories, only to find that it's a kludge that doesn't properly implement a complete and native UNR (compared to the VM install). I've also tried utilities like ccd2iso, Kiso, and Windows Image Master to convert the IMG file to ISO, to no avail.

PLEASE: Can I install UNR onto a PC that's too old to boot from a USB drive, but can boot DVD?

Has Canonical made it impossible to convert the UNR 9.04 IMG file to a standard ISO file for burn and boot from DVD?

?
    Last edited by gnothi; May 17th, 2009 at 01:01 PM.

Beans

Re: Netbook Remix IMG to ISO ??

Running the following terminal command in an existing Ubuntu Jaunty install will give you exactly the same system as installing UNR from scratch:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remix
    If UNR seems "sluggish" in your tests, that's because it is. It is an extra layer on top of Ubuntu Gnome, which is arguably one of the "heaviest" linux distros in existence. I would not recommend Ubuntu UNR for older hardware. If your computer is too old to boot from USB, it is definitely too old for Ubuntu UNR! If you want to post your system specs, I would be happy to recommend a distro for you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Re: Netbook Remix IMG to ISO ??

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Running the following terminal command in an existing Ubuntu Jaunty install will give you exactly the same system as installing UNR from scratch:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remix
    I've tried that. The result is not a complete and native UNR, even on a clean install of Jaunty. Close, but not quite.

UNR is sluggish on a virtual machine in VirtualBox. UNR should be more responsive running natively on my PC.

So, there's no way to convert the IMG to ISO for boot from DVD?

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: Netbook Remix IMG to ISO ??

Quote Originally Posted by gnothi View Post
    Please, detail how to go from IMG file to bootable DVD.
    On windows you can use the freeware program ImgBurn. That'll pretty much burn every image format known to man onto an optical disc.

Beans

Use nrg2iso

Beans

Question Re: Netbook Remix IMG to ISO ??

Have you tried taking a look at https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/69754 ?

Maybe this will help?

Beans

Smile Re: Netbook Remix IMG to ISO ??

VirtualBox has a clean solution:

VBoxManage convertfromraw <filename.img> <outputfile.vdi>

Now you can add the vdi file as a slave disk to your VM, then reboot and make it to boot from the slave disk. Ready to install!

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Netbook Remix IMG to ISO ??

Here are the steps.

1. Run the command to create a bootable VDI image (without quotes):
    “VBoxManage convertfromraw ubuntu-netbook-remix-i386.img ubuntu-netbook-remix-i386-live.vdi”
    2. Run the command to create a new empty VDI image where to install the image with 8GB space:
    “VBoxManage createhd -filename ubuntu-netbook-remix-i386.vdi -size 8000″
    Note: you can use -register option at the end of this command or register this VDI file from the VirtualBox later.
    3. Create a new VM using the ubuntu-netbook-remix-i386-live.vdi (use the existing vdi option)
    4. Attach the ubuntu-netbook-remix-i386.vdi as a Primary Slave
    5. Start the VM (boot)
    6. Install
    note: Install will automatically install into the Primary Slave drive.
    7. Shutdown the VM
    8. Remove the ubuntu-netbook-remix-i386-live.vdi from the VM setting, and make the ubuntu-netbook-remix-i386.vdi as the Primary Master.
    9. Restart the VM

source:
    http://platonic.techfiz.info/2009/04...netbook-image/

http://platonic.techfiz.info/2009/04...on-virtualbox/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You could always just download the .iso
    Cheesemill