Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Contributing to Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Contributing to Karmic Koala

im on Karmic + Gnome Shell + Metacity Compositing + NotifyOSD + EXT4 + UbuntuOne-Client
    its really amazing
    no bugs ATM
    Last edited by juancarlospaco; June 27th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If responding to bug reports.
    Use the "affects me too" function.
    Don't spam the reports with "mee too"
    Pretty useless of the report is already confirmed and worked on.
    I won't answer to difficult guestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello ubuntu community and ubuntu developers,

I'm searching quite sometime in the links of this thread, trying to find out the best way -according to my likes and abilities- in order to help in the ubuntu development. The problem is that, even though there are many guides on the subject, I have to admit that I got lost in the process.

What I would like to do (the order does not indicate importance):

• I would like to translate pages of ubuntu wiki in the hellenic (greek) language. I have seen that the hellenic team is going pretty well on the gnome section, so I do not think that I can contribute much there. For example I have seen wiki pages that they are written in the Hellenic language, yet some links of them are in English.
    • I would like to contribute to the building and construction of packages (as a starter at first and in the process as a more experienced user). I think that this process will enhance my knowledge on linux and also provide some help to the community. In this part do you think that another section might be more appealing? For example instead of building packages the updating issue. Should I come in contact with one of the ubuntu developers?

As far as reporting bugs I think that installing Karmic on one's system, apport is working pretty nicely. Looking at the pages of the bug support I came across some things that I would most like to be clarified to me:

• I have sent via apport notification to the developers both on jaunty and now in karmic. In one of these notifications (in karmic) it required also from me to create an account in launchpad. I did so, yet I didn't know how to continue from there. Is there an explanation about that? Is it really required to use the launchpad, while using apport?
    • Also it says that apport collects vital information of one's system. Is there a way I can identify which kind of information I'm giving (it might be the root password for example?), and before sending the report to cancel it? I have checked the information collected while apport is running and I have not seen my root password in there. For example I was able to see the type of my graphics card. I do not think that this is something so vital. Is it?

In all the above I have to mention that I'll be able to contribute during my free time. Even though that means that my contribution will be small, I would gladly do it according to my (humble) abilities.

Excuse my long e-mail or the dummy(?) questions, yet I would be glad if someone could shed more light on these issues for me.

Regards!
    Last edited by Claus7; September 7th, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: orthographic

Beans

Hi Claus7,

Quote Originally Posted by Claus7 View Post
    I would like to translate pages of ubuntu wiki in the hellenic (greek) language. I have seen that the hellenic team is going pretty well on the gnome section, so I do not think that I can contribute much there. For example I have seen wiki pages that they are written in the Hellenic language, yet some links of them are in English.
    Do you mean translations of the community documentation? Could you post a link? Keep in mind that you can also contribute to Hellenic translations of Ubuntu itself.

I would like to contribute to the building and construction of packages (as a starter at first and in the process as a more experienced user). I think that this process will enhance my knowledge on linux and also provide some help to the community. In this part do you think that another section might be more appealing? For example instead of building packages the updating issue. Should I come in contact with one of the ubuntu developers?
    You can contribute to any area of packaging (new packages, updates, package reviews etc.) at any rate you like. Don't hesitate to contact the MOTU team (through the MOTU mentors mailing list or at #ubuntu-motu on irc.freenode.net); take a look at the mentoring program information if you need a mentor to guide you.

I have sent via apport notification to the developers both on jaunty and now in karmic. In one of these notifications (in karmic) it required also from me to create an account in launchpad. I did so, yet I didn't know how to continue from there. Is there an explanation about that? Is it really required to use the launchpad, while using apport?
    Yes. It sounds as if there's been a problem with Apport or Firefox during your reporting the bug. If you created an account and logged in to Launchpad, the next time you use Apport, it should proceed correctly.

Also it says that apport collects vital information of one's system. Is there a way I can identify which kind of information I'm giving (it might be the root password for example?), and before sending the report to cancel it? I have checked the information collected while apport is running and I have not seen my root password in there. For example I was able to see the type of my graphics card. I do not think that this is something so vital. Is it?
    Apport will not purposefully collect any personal information, including any of your passwords. The sensitive information it mentions is limited to what your crashing applications may contain in their crash dumps; this can include passwords, as well as names of and data from files they're accessing at the time of the crash. However, such bugs will be set as "Private" by default, and will be viewable only by you and Ubuntu Bug Control team members, whom you can trust to remove such information from your bug if they find it before making it public.

In all the above I have to mention that I'll be able to contribute during my free time. Even though that means that my contribution will be small, I would gladly do it according to my (humble) abilities.

Excuse my long e-mail or the dummy(?) questions, yet I would be glad if someone could shed more light on these issues for me.
    No worries; don't hesitate to ask further if you have any more questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello 23meg,

thank you for your comprehensive answers! They were really helpful. I'll look them further and act accordingly.

Regards!

Beans

You're welcome; good to know it helps you.

Beans

I know this may not be the best place to ask but I'm in a rush and don't want to forget later.

how much effective hardware testing can be done from a live disc or a persistent usb install? I've got friends who've had issues with their hp tx1000series and tx2500series tablets. I'm also concerned about the extent of functionality on my phenom X3 705e.

I would love to send as much useful info as I can back... I'm just not always sure how to do that when I can't do installs on these machines for various reasons.

I'm installing karmic on my acer timeline 5810T and old toshiba satelite 1905-s301 for my birthday tomorrow.

Everytime I bork an install I get much better in the command line. here's to learning

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123