Thread: My System Is Still Borked

Beans

My System Is Still Borked

I get dropped to the root shell ever time I start.. Even after applying the latest updates. Are they going to fix it or shoud I re-install? I've been waiting a few days hoping an update would fix it, but so far now luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: My System Is Still Borked

Care to elaborate? You're very vague.. So much so, I'm struggling to think of anything here...
    Currently running: elementary Luna. Have experience in Ubuntu up to 13.04. May switch to 14.04 over Summer.
    Student. Reader. Writer. Theatre-goer. I poke around in Linux from time to time, too.
    1.86Ghz Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Happened to me on Tuesday of this week!

I reinstalled from Alpha 5 last night and applied a partial update from Update Manager and things were OK. Tonight it allowed a full update and all is well.

Love the new loading screen art, far more subtle. Question, how can I change the hideous orange logon screen to match?
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans

Sorry for being vague. The problem is all over these forums and is common knowledge among most testers. Basically one of the updates trashed alot of testers systems.

I'm trying this:

- check your sources.list to be sure you use the good one's, disable all the extra if exist (ppa's)

- run sudo aptitude clean
    - sudo aptitude autoclean
    - sudo aptitude install -f

don't run "sudo apt-get autoremove" now

- run system --> administration --> system janitor
    - install gtkorphan & then: system --> administration --> remove orphans
    - you can safely remove all the xorg-driver-chip-you-dont-have except the main one (intel, nvidia, ati & vesa)

Then, sudo aptitude update & sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
    Last edited by Johnsie; September 18th, 2009 at 06:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AlanR8 View Post
    Love the new loading screen art, far more subtle. Question, how can I change the hideous orange logon screen to match?
    We should get a new GDM theme as the development progresses which will hopefully match the new loading screen art.

Beans

Hmmm... that didn't work. Even when I do manually start dbus, hal and X the system seems to freeze randomly. I know this is a test version, so I hope the QA people at cannonical can eliminate these major bugs before the release date.

I personally think the 6 month development cycle is too short and I don't think applications should be part of the operating system development. How much time to they spend playing around with packaging applications when they could be working on the OS itself? Let the app developers themselves control application versioning and spend more time working on drivers etc.

Rant over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So.. You tried to install a few things and messed with the janitor. So... (probably
    missig something here) what is the problem?? You're dropped to a root shell and have no GUI?
    Currently running: elementary Luna. Have experience in Ubuntu up to 13.04. May switch to 14.04 over Summer.
    Student. Reader. Writer. Theatre-goer. I poke around in Linux from time to time, too.
    1.86Ghz Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD.