View Poll Results: Would you rather pay less for a PC, and have bundled software?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd rather get a cheaper PC.

80 59.26%
  • No, I'd rather have a clean OS right away.

55 40.74%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I Love Pre-Installed "Crapware"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Why I Love Pre-Installed "Crapware"

Most users who buy pre-built PCs hate the amount of bundled software that comes along on so many of them. I'm taking a radically different stance on the issue and proclaiming, "Give me all the crapware you've got!"

Why would I say such a thing? Well, simple. The companies pushing this crapware onto new PCs (Norton, McAfee, WildTangent, RealNetworks, etc. We all know them...) will essentially pay you to take them. The way it really works is they pay the OEM to include their software on pre-built PCs, and the OEM then lowers the cost of the PC to drive sales. So essentially, the more crapware included with your PC, the lower the price.

Doesn't that lower the user experience? The simple answer is, it depends on the user. I've purchased several PCs that included loads of crapware. In my youth, before I knew what I was doing, I'd simply uninstall the crapware. Now that I've grown up, I just wipe the drive and install Ubuntu. To the average user, I could see how it can be somewhat of a nuisance, but a quick uninstall should remedy most problems.

So this I proclaim to my fellow Ubuntonians, will you not go forth and spread praises for crapware infested PCs! And if crapware should come to the Linux market, welcome it with open arms and ready install CDs.

PS: If you so wish, you can take the time to visit this page and ask Dell to start including bundled software on Ubuntu PCs to help lower their cost.

Here's a template:
    "Hi Dell,
    I would like to recommend that you start including bundled software with your Ubuntu loaded PCs to help lower their costs. You can use Wine to run Windows software on them. It would really help those of us who don't have a lot of funds, but still would like a Linux PC.

Sincerely,
    #Name#"
    Site | My PHP Framework
    "…the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." -Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Why I Love Pre-Installed "Crapware"

Usually, when i buy the computer, i reformat it with the cd that comes with it, and reinstall drivers, etc... so that crapware dosent bother me so much.

Beans

Since I would probably install Debian on it anyway, give me all the bloat you want. I dare ya.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'll just keep dumpster diving computers / parts and installing Ubuntu on them

Hold the crapware, please.
    That's why I dumped W**dows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Game Over View Post
    I'll just keep dumpster diving computers / parts and installing Ubuntu on them

Hold the crapware, please.
    That's why I dumped W**dows.
    Windows doesn't come with crapware. (Unless of course, like me, you consider Windows itself to be crapware,) It's the hardware vendors that put crapware on the machines.
    Site | My PHP Framework
    "…the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." -Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by guywithcable View Post
    Windows doesn't come with crapware.
    The "Online Services" folder on the desktop in the 9x series is such for one. Windows 98 shipped with a "Channel Bar" too that was just a bunch of ad links right on your desktop.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by CharmyBee View Post
    The "Online Services" folder on the desktop in the 9x series is such for one. Windows 98 shipped with a "Channel Bar" too that was just a bunch of ad links right on your desktop.
    Touché.
    Site | My PHP Framework

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'd rather get the PC cheaper; I never boot into the OEM install unless its Linux anyway; so, I never see any of the advertising, crippleware, or any of the other junk on an average PC.

After new PC purchase I:

1. Remove from packaging
    2. Inventory parts list to make sure nothing is missing
    3. connect all cables
    4. Boot and press the Escape key
    5. Open the Optical Drive Door
    6. Insert Ubuntu Live CD
    7. Ctrl-Alt-Del
    8. Press the Escape Key
    9. Choose the Optical Drive from the boot order list
    10. Run the liveCd
    11. Open a terminal and run lshw and make sure I have everything I paid for.
    12. If the hardware is fine, I check my ethernet connection to make sure its working.
    13. If ethernet is working I go ahead and Install Ubuntu, wiping the HDD entirely during the install process.
    14. Reboot
    15. Get updates
    16. Install Graphics Drivers if needed
    17. Choose Printer from list
    18. Add Medibuntu Repos
    19. Install Codecs and various other frivolous software I can't live without.
    20. Open a beer, start up Nexuiz, do some fragging as a reward for another job well done.

Beans

Personally I don't care about crap ware.
    By all means lower the price for the end user, but please don't force me to buy a computer with Windows / Works.
    This is because Windows can often cost more than what the crapware can reduce.
    So offer me a computer without windows, and I'll be happy.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CharmyBee View Post
    The "Online Services" folder on the desktop in the 9x series is such for one.
    True true! Never had any need for the "online services" with Win98 - my Compaq desktop (now Windows free, including the recovery partition) also came with a useless "Easy internet connection" thingy too, redundant since I already had an internet connection.

On the other hand, some of the stuff that came my main desktop was temporarily useful until I actually paid for some software (and found some free software) that suited my purposes better.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast