Thread: Canoscan LiDE 200

Hybrid View

Beans

Angry Canoscan LiDE 200

Absolute beginner barely covers what I am to Ubuntu. My ex boyfriend got me set up and I have never done so much as install a program myself, I fail really hard at understanding Linux, but it is something I support so I want to try!

Like an idiot I bought a scanner because I was brainwashed by the ex that Linux supports everything, but apparently everything doesn't include my new CanoScan LiDE 200 scanner!

I tried plugging it in and nothing happened. XSane doesn't support it, WINE didn't seem to like the disc that came with the scanner and as I don't speak Linux the internet is remarkably unhelpful.

So any help would be greatly appreciated! I want my faith in Linux restored, I hate windows but I think I am too stupid for this Linux stuff!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Canoscan LiDE 200

first of all, don't hesitate to ask questions around the forums whenever need help or feel overwhelmed, learning a new operating system takes a bit of time.

now the bad news, I have a canoscan myself, and sadly enough like your model, the 200, it is not supported by linux. So long story short, it will not work. I dual boot with windows XP so its not a deal breaker for me.

sorry to be the one to tell ya the bad news, the bad thing here is that linux is not really to blame for this. Some manufacturers simply won't bother releasing drivers for linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I wrote to Canon (copied below), and this is the response I got. I encourage EVERYONE who owns one of these scanners or would consider buying one (they're REALLY good and portable) to write to Canon's customer support: if enough of us do, maybe we could get a driver for the scanner soon, and maybe we could even convert Canon into a Linux friendly company!

------------------------------ ----------------------
    You wrote:
    --------------------------------------------
    on: 2009-12-11 04:00:09, Customer wrote: ......

I own a LiDE 200. I am satisfied with my scanner, however I am VERY unsatisfied with your neglect to produce a Linux driver for it. Like many other people, I have recently left Windows behind for the simplicity, flexibility and stability of Linux distributions like Ubuntu. Until you make a policy of producing Linux drivers for your products, I will not be buying anything from you nor can I recommend your products to any of my family or friends.

Response:
    -------------------------------

Dear Nelson Alexander

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding your CanoScan LiDE 200 Scanner.

It is only through our customers comments and suggestions that we are able to manufacture quality products that our customers will be able to use on a consistent basis. The fact that you took the time to write to us is indeed appreciated. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate Department for their information and review.

Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca

Sincerely,

Mike B.
    Technical Support Representative
    Customer Information Centre
    Canon Canada Inc.
    Do you have a story to tell? Visit http://www.canontellyourstory.ca for your chance to win prizes!

Beans

Just googled for Canoscan Lide 200 which brought me here.
    Thanks for the feedback, thus saving me from buying one.

The price was nice, but if it isn't supported, no point in buying one.

Think I'll be looking at Brother instead as I see more support from the manufacturer in terms of linux and their hardware.

Beans

You can check here for supported scanners:
    http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
    I wonder how it isn't supported. I have a Canoscan lide 20 (not 200) and it worked just fine out of the box with xsane. I had a much earlier model before this one and it worked too.
    I have had issues with canon printers in the past, and have since warned friends and family to not buy canon printers.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans

Thanks, that's a good list to use when comparing stuff at a store.

When I looked for info, I wasn't able to find Canon info easily, but managed to find brother info on their website, I ended-up finding info here: http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...e_drivers.html

When it comes to purchases and recommendations...
    Supported hardware == worth considering or recommending.
    Not-supported == leave it on the shelf for someone else.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JoesCat View Post
    Just googled for Canoscan Lide 200 which brought me here.
    Thanks for the feedback, thus saving me from buying one.
    The same is true for me. I found this Canon product on Amazon today, but apparently it is unusable with Linux. Several years ago I had the same trouble with a Canon printer, and their support returned very stupid answers ('you are using a non-standard operating system'). Dinosaurs...

Thanks for this article.

Beans

Give it zero stars on any online store's rating system.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation