Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD users here?

Beans

FreeBSD users here?

Anyone run a flavour of BSD here? When 7.2 came out I laughed quite a bit, because of the Linux Youths talking about it like it was another Linux distribution. I even had to send an email to a Linux news site asking them to correct their article covering it because they referred to it as "A Linux Based Operating System".

So, who uses BSD and who knows what it actually is?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: FreeBSD users here?

I've used it since around 2004. Was my primary desktop OS for years, but recently put Ubuntu on my laptop instead. I still use it on some other boxes though.

<3 FreeBSD.

FreeBSD is an outstanding operating system. I wouldn't recommend it on the desktop to everyone. On a server, it is definitely the best OS out there, in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What is the difference is using BSD rather than linux, I tried it once in a VM, but nothing seemed really different, other than the kernel, what is better about it.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

i heard they don't have flash on bsd so i don't use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hmm.... I bet that they can if they wanted too.
    .i coi rodo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Heh. I've used PC-BSD as I'm still largely unfamiliar with the handbook. It ran great on the desktop, though.

The PBI system had some great implementations.
    It felt much, much more stable.

The only downside was that X was a little slow.

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    i heard they don't have flash on bsd so i don't use it.
    Not true. You can actually use Flash with Firefox in Linux compatibility mode. It works very well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

maybe they it is another distro because there all on distrowatch

I got a bsdbox

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    What is the difference is using BSD rather than linux, I tried it once in a VM, but nothing seemed really different, other than the kernel, what is better about it.
    On the outside, when using the desktop, most of the differences are under the hood. BSD is known for it's rock-hard stability. As for the kernel, Linux is a kernel and the GNU userland(hence RMS' insistence on calling it GNU/Linux), whereas BSD is an entire operating system. This is part of where the stability comes from. Everything in the OS is developed together and interact much better.

The package management system, ports, is top-notch and, in my personal opinion, unmatched.

There are several differences between Linux and BSD. I am finishing up an article for Linsux.org which will discuss these differences. I hope to finish it up in the next day or two. Once it is posted, I would be happy to link it, if the moderators here will allow me, or I will just simply let you all know it is there for public consumption.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast