Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Should Linux users cut the self-righteousness?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Should Linux users cut the self-righteousness?

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    If the technology is "licensed", this means you have a permission to use that specific 'technology' under the terms and conditions of the license. The license has no bearing on other technology that you might create, even it provides the same functionality and/or has a similar appearance and/or whatever.
    Most or all FOSS will be in under this case.

If the technology is patented, it depends on what the patent claims are in order to be able to decide if an other project infringes on the patent.
    One can obtain a license from the patent holder to reproduce the patented software - if the patent holder is willing to give such license.

So I think your post is kinda besides the point.
    I think you may have me wrong. i'm by no means supporting the linsux folks, and i support oss.
    read back to page 5 or so, where this thread of replies started, and it's pertinence will emerge. if you look at the op's post, complaining about linux users dislike for closed licensed software, implies that they want to include packages that exist under all license frameworks, open or closed. when i consider this opinion, the first things that come to mind are Codecs and Drm.

perhaps I mispoke using the word "licensed". I should have said "available for licensing". I haven't paid any fees to MS, so either someone has on my behalf, or noone has. I'll leave it to you to decide which it is. take it as a sign, that medibuntu is not included in the multiverse.

copyright law prevents a person from creating "knock-off" products that derive too closly/much from registered prior art. codecs however, must operate using standard interfaces both to the kernel and devices below, but also to the applications above. as such it will always bear a striking resembelence to the registered artifact.
    Last edited by doas777; May 19th, 2009 at 11:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by windows-killer View Post
    reverse engineer, hacking?

the reason why I like closed source software is because no one can fork it.
    If open source (lets say the GPL) had a rule that restricted others from forking current projects (but continue working on the original to improve it), it would be fair enough.
    why would I want a large number of video editing software that do the same thing and they barely work... if they work!

the only thing that am against, is forking, which i think it creates a big mess.
    I hope something like that never happens. The beauty of linux is that if you see a project is lacking either from poor developers, bad leadership, poor quality etc etc you can fork it and start a new project in hopes of creating something better. It wouldn't be truly OSS if you can't build upon other projects and fork something in a new direction You realize also that 90% of linux distrbutions are forked at one point or another from another linux OS and a rule like that would severely limit linux growth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Blehhhh....why? Mac users are the most self righteous people on the planet. and since linux offers way better OS's we deserve to be a little self righteous don't you think?
    Zavie A.

>>> self.Freedom=='Linux'
    'True'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by GOfree View Post
    Ubuntu does a good job at helping newbies. (Thanks) But it is possible to go the other way too much too -- hand-holding to the point where new linux users don't want to learn and expect to have another Windows experience for "free" (as in beer).
    Erm, isnt that pretty much what Ubuntu is? << The OS, not the forums
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    copyright law prevents a person from creating "knock-off" products that derive too closly/much from registered prior art. codecs however, must operate using standard interfaces both to the kernel and devices below, but also to the applications above. as such it will always bear a striking resembelence to the registered artifact.
    Copyright protects appearance and form, not functionality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Thumbs down Re: Should Linux users cut the self-righteousness?

Quote Originally Posted by linsux View Post
    At Linsux.org, we feel that the community has headed in the wrong direction by turning Linux into a religion and crusade. Many people will disagree with this, but it will be interesting to see the answers from the other side of the camp.

What's your opinion?
    Linux is the only rational choice for an OS! If you choose another OS you're an idiot. Linux is more secure, it's just as easy to use now & it's free!

LONG LIVE LINUX!!!!! (Waving around my Linux flag)

LOL. Kidding. Just kidding. Despite my signature (yes I am tired of Microsoft's high prices, which is why I made the switch to Linux), I do believe that everybody has their own needs so based on whatever your needs are you choose the appropriate OS. I actually keep a Vista laptop, but only because I can't get TomTom HOME (their GPS software) to work on linux.

But when that day comes....I'll be installing Ubuntu on that laptop as well.
    Oh you'll get yours, Microsoft.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zavie A. View Post
    Blehhhh....why? Mac users are the most self righteous people on the planet. and since linux offers way better OS's we deserve to be a little self righteous don't you think?
    when justified, can there be anything more appealing than self-righteousness?
    thank you, dan henderson.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728