Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

Beans

Re: HMR group possibly stealing the Ubuntu Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    yes, who had the logo first? it's quite plausible that HMR did. so until we know that, they didn't "steal" a thing.
    Plausible, yes. Likely, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Which is why I'm not arguing that portion of my statement any more. Even if HMR Group's logo is older than Canonical's, there is no way to prove it.
    Exactly, and that was the reason in the first place I didn't touch that argument at all. Arguing an irrelevant point is just perpetuating irrelevance, as it were.

I think pwnst*r is making a point that not even he realizes he's making. And that is, no one is reading my posts fully. They're taking bits and pieces out of my posts and are twisting my words.
    Could be. I do think it's a bit far-fetched to say "well, if you rotate it 13 degrees, make the margins different, and thin the lines, it's a different logo" - it's almost like saying "heck naw, I didn't sample Queen's 'Under Pressure' for 'Ice Ice Baby'; they're completely different!"
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

that was my point, GS that's why i mentioned blinders, but more like applying fanboi filters to your posts and extracting only what they want to read then twisting it as you said.

i guess until the who had the logo first argument is proved, there's no sense in bothering with the rest of this thread as it's pure SPECKulation

Beans

it's pure SPECKulation
    Could it be GIANT SPECKulation, even?
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    Could be. I do think it's a bit far-fetched to say "well, if you rotate it 13 degrees, make the margins different, and thin the lines, it's a different logo" - it's almost like saying "heck naw, I didn't sample Queen's 'Under Pressure' for 'Ice Ice Baby'; they're completely different!"
    The two logos are different, but that isn't my point. My point is that everyone is saying it's a rip-off or a copy-and-paste duplicate of the Ubuntu logo. If that was true, then overlapping them would prove that they are identical. However, there are enough differences in the HMR Group logo that it's highly implausible that HMR Group manipulated the Ubuntu logo image itself to make their own logo. Whether they intentionally stole the logo concept or not, they certainly didn't use the actual Ubuntu logo to do so.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

lol, perhaps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

that was my point, GS that's why i mentioned blinders, but more like applying fanboi filters to your posts and extracting only what they want to read then twisting it as you said.

i guess until the who had the logo first argument is proved, there's no sense in bothering with the rest of this thread as it's pure SPECKulation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Which is why I'm not arguing that portion of my statement any more. Even if HMR Group's logo is older than Canonical's, there is no way to prove it.
    Of course there is. You think that corporate logos come into the world without any paperwork?

Dated design briefs? Invoice and order contracts, all dated?
    AMD Athlon 3000 @2.0Ghz / MSI K8T Neo K8T800 / 2 GB Corsair DDR RAM / Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (256MB) / Samsung 226BW @ 1600x1050 / 120GB/320GB PATA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm pretty sure any trademark lawyer would advise their client not to try taking Giant Speck's defence into court. You'd go down in flames.

HMR have clearly been ripped off by whoever designed their logo. If I was them i'd be just take the offending logo down and sic my own lawyers onto the offending designers for the costs of rebranding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffynerf View Post
    Of course there is. You think that corporate logos come into the world without any paperwork?

Dated design briefs? Invoice and order contracts, all dated?
    I meant it cannot be proven from the way that the logo is currently being presented, due to the fact that there aren't any archived or cached copies of HMR Group's website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I'm pretty sure any trademark lawyer would advise their client not to try taking Giant Speck's defence into court. You'd go down in flames.
    I'm not defending anyone. I'm simply saying that no one here has any proof of HMR's intentions. You can't ascertain intent from a logo, even if it is nearly identical.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast